Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Apr 17, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #646 of 800
I read this somewhere too. Do you have an example for which DAC this would be the case and do you also have a technical explanantion why that is so?
If you like via pm, as it is a bit OT here.
Thx
Denafrips Ares II says this in the manual for example:
"(3) Analog Audio Signal Output Balanced output via XLR (pin2 hot), singled ended output via RCA. The Ares II is a true balanced DAC, we recommend using balanced output whenever possible. The RCA and XLR output are shared, please use either of the output at a time. It is not recommended to use both RCA and XLR output simultaneously"

I believe the issue is it messes with impedance matching. If the DAC has separate buffers for RCA and XLR, it's not an issue since each would only see the impedance attached to it.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #647 of 800
I read this somewhere too. Do you have an example for which DAC this would be the case and do you also have a technical explanantion why that is so?
Thx
As far as I remember this is a thing with Denafrips DACs for example, because they don't have a dedicated output stage.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #648 of 800
Thx @gammi and @Bkido.

So Denafrips chose the "cheap way out" by simply referencing this in the manual and not integarting a proper output switch.

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:05 AM Post #650 of 800
I went ahead and took a look at the output stage on the Cyan 2 and sure enough there are 4 opamps, meaning RCA has its own set of 2 and XLR has its own set of 2. So yeah, this leads me to believe it's fine to have both connected on the Cyan 2.

You can see in the picture there are 4 Texas Instrument 5534A Op-amps
https://www.ti.com/product/NE5534A

I also attached a picture of the Ares II for comparison. It appears it doesn't even have an output stage, no wonder you can't connect both.

I ask Jos from Magna Hifi and he answers me:
"Yes, no problem you can connect both amps to RCA / XLR outputs to the Cyan2."
This is also one way to verify lol

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-17 040427.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-17 040427.jpg
    851.7 KB · Views: 0
  • denafrips-ares-fig-6.jpg
    denafrips-ares-fig-6.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #651 of 800
Thx
Denafrips and Musician DACs are definitely like this but it is not unique to those brands. My knowledge is not enough to explain the technical background.

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #652 of 800
Appreciate all the reassurances that the XLR/RCA thing isn't something to worry about. I had also reached out to Tim at Kitsune who said using both simultaneously was fine.

Apr 17, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #654 of 800
4 opamps, meaning RCA has its own set of 2 and XLR has its own set of 2.
This is not right. 5534 are single opamps means that they have one output. From the picture you can see there are 2 opamps per channel that would suggest both are used constantly for plus and negative symmetrical (balanced) signal. Pl us and negative signals go for XLR output, plus signal only goes to RCA out. That's why output signal is stronger on Cyan 2 comparing to Pegasus, and this is why connecting both outputs should not affect SQ. Opamps are propably output buffers that make resistors ladders immune to any output to next stage input resistans'.

BTW 553x opamps are known for about 40 years. it's disappointing to see those in modern designs, especially if Cyan2 is not cheap unit.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #655 of 800
This is not right. 5534 are single opamps means that they have one output. From the picture you can see there are 2 opamps per channel that would suggest both are used constantly for plus and negative symmetrical (balanced) signal. Pl us and negative signals go for XLR output, plus signal only goes to RCA out. That's why output signal is stronger on Cyan 2 comparing to Pegasus, and this is why connecting both outputs should not affect SQ. Opamps are propably output buffers that make resistors ladders immune to any output to next stage input resistans'.

BTW 553x opamps are known for about 40 years. it's disappointing to see those in modern designs, especially if Cyan2 is not cheap unit.
Ah, thanks, I naively assumed 4 meant 2 for each output. So it's not a matter of each output having their own opamps but rather if the outputs are opamp driven at all, that takes care of the issue?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #660 of 800
Halleluja 🥳

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back