HM-901
Jun 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #1,171 of 3,522
This is a picture of the volume control in the HM-901:

As far as I can tell it is a stepped attenuator. You can see all the resistors in the part on the right (if I am not mistaken).

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,172 of 3,522
Yeah I know I really should but I am wary of hifiman's in-ears, bcos the last pair I had, the RE262, irritated my ear so I sold them as soon as I got them
tongue.gif

Perhaps I should demo them later...

Remember to post your impression once you bought them :)

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #1,173 of 3,522
Quote:
This is a picture of the volume control in the HM-901:

As far as I can tell it is a stepped attenuator. You can see all the resistors in the part on the right (if I am not mistaken).

Thanks for that.  Was a bit worried if my volume control was not functioning properly but seems it's actually how it is supposed to work.  

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #1,174 of 3,522
Quote:
@ spkrs01

Did you check how the HM-901 w/ balanced amp sounds with Miracle?

Lars

The 901 is very strong in imposing it's character onto the IEM, any for that matter......

Basically, richer, fuller and a very dense sound....really very similar to a SET amp..................I think people would love the 901 or at least be drawn to it, as this DAP really offers an alternative to what is available currently.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #1,176 of 3,522
Again, it was only a short listen but I didn't get that impression from the standard amp card that I heard it with. Just seemed nicely balanced and neutral. Sounds like the balanced card has a fuller character.

I think Hifiman calling it "the balanced amp board" is actually a huge marketing blunder. It is an entirely different beast - definitely not a balanced version of the standard board or has any semblance to it. The name and the fact it is released together with the standard board certainly made ME thought it would be a difference of SE vs balanced. Can't be more wrong.

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #1,177 of 3,522
Quote:

kkcc

Do you prefer in high gain? I found high gain, slightly too rich and overbearing...

By the way...how do I know the 901 is fully charged..does the green light go off on the charger? And how long does it usually take to charge?

Cheers

Just charged from empty to full, takes under 5 hrs.  

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #1,178 of 3,522
thats lower than me if we we go with ak100 measurement, i used 50 on the westones with the ak100

edit: post was made without turning to the last page and its about kkcc post on his usual listening volumes

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #1,179 of 3,522
Curious.

If the HM-901 goes with the Balanced Amp card, how would the sound output be, comparing between the RE-600 (3.5mm TRRS terminated?) and a normal 3.5mm terminated custom (say JH13)?
Get the impression that a 3.5mm TRRS terminated jack is able to enjoy the full "balanced output", versus a "normal output" with the common 3.5 mm jack.

So if i were to get the HM-901 with balanced amp card, would it be a waste since my JH13 is terminated with a normal 3.5mm jack?
Or is there an adaptor (3.5mm female to 3.5mm TRRS male)  to overcome this?

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #1,180 of 3,522
Quote:
Curious.

If the HM-901 goes with the Balanced Amp card, how would the sound output be, comparing between the RE-600 (3.5mm TRRS terminated?) and a normal 3.5mm terminated custom (say JH13)?
Get the impression that a 3.5mm TRRS terminated jack is able to enjoy the full "balanced output", versus a "normal output" with the common 3.5 mm jack.

So if i were to get the HM-901 with balanced amp card, would it be a waste since my JH13 is terminated with a normal 3.5mm jack?
Or is there an adaptor (3.5mm female to 3.5mm TRRS male)  to overcome this?

Your IEMs / HPs has to be terminated to TRRS to enjoy balanced drive.
However, from the reports I have read about the standard amp vs. the balanced, the latter is obviously better - even single ended.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #1,181 of 3,522
Curious.

Or is there an adaptor (3.5mm female to 3.5mm TRRS male) to overcome this?

You can only go one way from TRRS to normal, not the other way round.

Having said that, balancing your cable is not essential. The balanced amp card is NOT just a balanced version of the normal card. It is entirely different with better OPA and BUF chips, PLUS it is a fully balanced design. So, with the same cable and IEM, a balanced version would benefit the most. But in your scenario - balanced RE600 vs singled-end JH13, I'd bet the JH13 would still sound better. RE600 is very good, but based on my recent demo of the JH13 FP, I'd still think JH13 is more technically competent.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #1,182 of 3,522
Quote:
However, from the reports I have read about the standard amp vs. the balanced, the latter is obviously better - even single ended.

Thanks, LarsHP 
smile.gif

If i recall, most custom cable makers do not offer TRRS termination, which means unlikely to get the full benefit of the balanced amp set up for the HM-901, which is a bummer.

So with the balanced amp card and normal 3.5 mm termination, sonically the HM-901 should outperform the DX100 and AK120 (both without amp), though improvement may be small.
Currently am on the DX100+ALO rxMK3-B > twag v2 > JH13 (old), and very satisfied with this combination. Looking out for secondary player for times when i need to travel about light.

Have tried the AK120, and have to agree it is quite the lovely sounding player (less aggressive and more refined sound as compared to DX100).
Waiting to give the HM-901 an audition once it's available.

It's either the HM-901 with balanced amp card or AK120. 
smile.gif

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #1,184 of 3,522
Quote:

Yes Lars balanced amp board + SE IEM >> normal amp board + SE IEM.  There is thought the Minibox amp which uses same OPA and BUF chips with an SE design.  Haven't yet have a chance to compare how Minibox and balanced amp board sound with SE IEM.

For those considering the normal vs balanced amp board, below is how my personal preferences ranked for your reference:
1. balanced amp+whiplash twag v3 8-conductor single ended cable+FT334
2. balanced amp+music heaven spc trrs balanced cable+FT334
3, balanced amp+UE 18pro stock black cable trrs balanced+W4R
4. standard amp+whiplash twag v3 8-conductor single ended cable+FT334
5. balanced amp+RE600
6. balanced amp+stock W4R single ended cable

If I don't have the AK120 I'll go get my whiplash balanced.... 

YMMV

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #1,185 of 3,522
Quote:

Ah. Thanks, kkcc 
smile.gif

Then there's really not much custom cable options out there to terminate with TRRS.
Looks like really need the RE600 if want to enjoy the HM-901 with balanced amp card.

Not really.  See above response.

Thanks, LarsHP  
smile.gif

If i recall, most custom cable makers do not offer TRRS termination, which means unlikely to get the full benefit of the balanced amp set up for the HM-901, which is a bummer.

So with the balanced amp card and normal 3.5 mm termination, sonically the HM-901 should outperform the DX100 and AK120 (both without amp), though improvement may be small.
Currently am on the DX100+ALO rxMK3-B > twag v2 > JH13 (old), and very satisfied with this combination. Looking out for secondary player for times when i need to travel about light.

Have tried the AK120, and have to agree it is quite the lovely sounding player (less aggressive and more refined sound as compared to DX100).
Waiting to give the HM-901 an audition once it's available.

It's either the HM-901 with balanced amp card or AK120.  
smile.gif

With rxMK3, you'd not really be satisfied with AK120..... but as a backup for travel and long battery life, it's a compromise you may accept but absolute sound quality is not as good as the 901+balanced amp, who perform more similarly to the rxMK3 combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back