HM-901
Jul 11, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #2,911 of 3,522
Hifiman is coming out with a brand new firmeware. that will be usable in all hifiman product. It will has much faster speed (maybe can compared with OS.7/8 lol)

They will start it with 901. 

Looks like everything in UI will be completely changed.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #2,912 of 3,522
  Hifiman is coming out with a brand new firmeware. that will be usable in all hifiman product. It will has much faster speed (maybe can compared with OS.7/8 lol)

They will start it with 901. 

Looks like everything in UI will be completely changed.

Exciting news!  But as promising as it would be, I've learned to be patient with Hifiman firmware/product esp if it's a major revision.... typically they need some time to get it really right!  

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #2,913 of 3,522

Exciting news!  But as promising as it would be, I've learned to be patient with Hifiman firmware/product esp if it's a major revision.... typically they need some time to get it really right!  

+1
I have no beef with the current firmware... (except maybe no cover art but it doesnt bother me a lot)...

unless if someone reports it will sound a lot better then .....

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #2,914 of 3,522

+1
I have no beef with the current firmware... (except maybe no cover art but it doesnt bother me a lot)...

unless if someone reports it will sound a lot better then .....

I'm still on 1.84 from I think last December.... I'm in more of a if it ain't broke don't fix it mode with Hifiman

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #2,915 of 3,522
I haven't have any problem with the current firmware as well, but won't mind updating if the new firmware is indeed as good as it claims.

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #2,916 of 3,522
They better improve their QC and firmware stability first then thinking bout new firmware from scratch.
What happened to system11 is not acceptable for this DAP asking price no matter how good its sound quality.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #2,917 of 3,522
hm901+iem card on the way

will be using with my se846
L3000.gif

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #2,918 of 3,522
  They better improve their QC and firmware stability first then thinking bout new firmware from scratch.
What happened to system11 is not acceptable for this DAP asking price no matter how good its sound quality.

I'd say the #1 improvement needs to be the controls, the jog wheel is pretty horrible to use especially if you have dry hands like I tend to, no grip at all so I have to put a lot of downwards pressure on it or use 2 thumbs.  A simple rubberised coating (which need to be user replaceable) would work wonders here.

I got curious this morning about the firmware.  It's using the Android updater, the actual OS is Linux based, due to references I saw in there it's either a very stripped embedded Linux, or a very stripped Android (which is more or less the same thing).  At least snippets of the code are evolved from the HM-801.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #2,921 of 3,522
Well I just invested in a 256G card, the 901 is not going anywhere...

Does anyone know what a good price would be for the fenli card new edition? On Taobao all I can find is 1500 RMB...seems expensive.

Hard to replace 901's sound. In fact the more of these new totl DAP I went thru, the more impressed I m with the 901 which was released in early 2013 more than a year ago. Too bad their industrial design and UI is so bad....

Re the new version discrete card, it's quite hard to come by. I tried buying one more for a friend and contacted various sellers and none was willing to ship to Hong Kong. Best is to look for it at erji forum's buy/sell section. I think the original price was like ¥800, I got mine for ¥1100 shipped. And yes I saw some listings for ¥1500 which is quite excessive.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #2,922 of 3,522
Hard to replace 901's sound. In fact the more of these new totl DAP I went thru, the more impressed I m with the 901 which was released in early 2013 more than a year ago. Too bad their industrial design and UI is so bad....

Re the new version discrete card, it's quite hard to come by. I tried buying one more for a friend and contacted various sellers and none was willing to ship to Hong Kong. Best is to look for it at erji forum's buy/sell section. I think the original price was like ¥800, I got mine for ¥1100 shipped. And yes I saw some listings for ¥1500 which is quite excessive.

Yeah but erji is hard to navigate...

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #2,924 of 3,522
  wow..RWAK240 not even close huh? damn..looks like imma have to get the HM901 of my own...

Nobody said it was not even close...I just got the RWAK240 back. IMO, it will be as good / better with few iems (Kaede, Ref1, Roxannes), comparable but different on some (SE5) and below 901 on others (NT6). But overall, the RWAK240 clearly cannot replace the 901...the 901 brings a smoothness, power, authority, and depth that is unbeatable. On the other hand the AK brings speed, clarity and UI.

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #2,925 of 3,522

Nobody said it was not even close...I just got the RWAK240 back. IMO, it will be as good / better with few iems (Kaede, Ref1, Roxannes), comparable but different on some (SE5) and below 901 on others (NT6). But overall, the RWAK240 clearly cannot replace the 901...the 901 brings a smoothness, power, authority, and depth that is unbeatable. On the other hand the AK brings speed, clarity and UI.

Ohh yeah. it definitely stays for me too. I just got myself a 128 GB 80mb/s card. And removed all the tags of my songs..Now the UI is speedy as hell! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back