HK receiver from HarmanAudio.com
Aug 26, 2008 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

colonelkernel8

Headphoneus Supremus
I am considering purchasing a Harman Kardon receiver from this website under the "Specials" section. All the units are listed as "remanufactured". Does this mean they were returned, non-working units that were refurbished or returned units that worked fine, but were just returned and repackaged? I ask because the units seem very deeply discounted, and I don't want to spend $600+ on a unit that is not working or unreliable. Regardless of how much the unit originally cost, $600 is a lot of money to spend on a unit that doesn't work or one I have to constantly send back to the manufacturer.

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 4
Probably another word for "refurbished." Remanufactured sounds like they actually rebuilt/examined everything from the ground up, as opposed to refurbished which tends to mean that they just repaired whatever was deemed wrong. The only way to know what they mean for sure is to ask them.

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 4
It could be fine; I would find out what kind of warranty they offer, though.

One caveat, but this is just one opinion: the newer H-K stuff doesn't seem to sound as good as some of the older stuff.

I've heard two H-K receiver models in the apst year, both models new within the last 2-3 years IIRC. Musically, they were not as good as my older AVR-20 MkII. It was a little disappointing, as I've always liked H-K.

Again, just one opinion, based on 2 receiver models. I am not familiar with all their lines, and if anything more recent sounds better.

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 4
Remanufactured = refurbished. Harmon sells a lot of their remanufactured stuff on Ebay as well.

They are generally like new, but you might notice some slight cosmetic flaws. The way I look at it, you are going to get a ding here or there during normal use anyway, so no biggie.

I would research the street price of any unit you are interested in, as 50% off of Harmon's suggested retail might only be 10% off of street price.

At the end of the day, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back