Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Nov 27, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #706 of 1,483

Thanks Tupac,

Would you say it leans towards the same hisound tonality (neutral/cool) as the 2nd edition and Rocco BA do? That same crisp clear mid range? How about the detailing levels, does it excel much further than the Studio V 2nd?

For me? It still sounds neutral. But I wouldn't call it cool anymore. 3rd just reduced the crisp clear feeling in the mid/high range of 2nd and BA. As a result, the detail is a little bit less pronounced, but the level is not reduced, you can still hear everything clearly, just not as that crispy, clear, and forward as 2nd due to reduction in the upper treble area (which is probably the reason for reduced hiss too, I don't know). Overall, 3rd is a bit more musical with great dynamic and power. That's why I was asking where can I find a version has sounds like 2nd but with 3rd's hiss which doesn't exist. 

But it's all nit picking. They still share large similarity in terms of overall sounding. It's more like DX100 between firmwares 1.1.3 and 1.1.7.

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #707 of 1,483
  For me? It still sounds neutral. But I wouldn't call it cool anymore. 3rd just reduced the crisp clear feeling in the mid/high range of 2nd and BA. As a result, the detail is a little bit less pronounced, but the level is not reduced, you can still hear everything clearly, just not as that crispy, clear, and forward as 2nd due to reduction in the upper treble area (which is probably the reason for reduced hiss too, I don't know). Overall, 3rd is a bit more musical with great dynamic and power. That's why I was asking where can I find a version has sounds like 2nd but with 3rd's hiss which doesn't exist. 

But it's all nit picking. They still share large similarity in terms of overall sounding.

Such a shame about hiss on the 2nd Edition, hisound were so close to having it nailed imo. I can live with it depending on the pairing (some worse/some not) but it's not mentally assuring enough to use a fulltime rig as I want it near perfect and the hiss does detract me from the black background. Probably over the next month I'll go ahead and grab the 3rd.

Thanks for your insight, it's been rather helpful. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #708 of 1,483

Such a shame about hiss on the 2nd Edition, hisound were so close to having it nailed imo. I can live with it depending on the pairing (some worse/some not) but it's not mentally assuring enough to use a fulltime rig as I want it near perfect and the hiss does detract me from the black background. Probably over the next month I'll go ahead and grab the 3rd.

Thanks.

Yeah the hiss is annoying. I can't pair any of my CIEMs comfortably on 2nd, not even SE5 way with 130 Ohm impedance, still has hiss if I don't listen loud. On 3rd, I can listen to SE5 and 1+2, the rest are not good. The BA has minimal hiss, but it's not powerful enough. 

BTW, 3rd pairs with 1+2 flawlessly. Lee was right.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #709 of 1,483
For those interested, I now have a AK120. I'm now looking to possibly move my Studio V third anniversary edition along for the right price. Message me if interested.

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #710 of 1,483
  Thanks.

Yeah the hiss is annoying. I can't pair any of my CIEMs comfortably on 2nd, not even SE5 way with 130 Ohm impedance, still has hiss if I don't listen loud. On 3rd, I can listen to SE5 and 1+2, the rest are not good. The BA has minimal hiss, but it's not powerful enough. 

BTW, 3rd pairs with 1+2 flawlessly. Lee was right.

Works great with JH13fp as well.

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #711 of 1,483
For those interested, I now have a AK120. I'm now looking to possibly move my Studio V third anniversary edition along for the right price. Message me if interested.

I just moved my AK120. Unlike tupac, I felt it better than the A3 but I freaked enough when it got stolen that I had a bad vibe when I managed to recover it. I probably won't try a 901 due to it's size and look at an X5 when it shows. I certainly very much still enjoy my studio and think the available 24/48 downconverted of Higher Def is a great portable format.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #712 of 1,483
Nov 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #713 of 1,483
JH13fp are neither crazy efficient (116) nor low impedance(28). JH16s would likely be too loud for me. If somebody is using a cable that may emphasize the noise, I could see it but with the stock cable and another I like, the 13 is not an issue for me as I have mine setup. I'm an old analog guy and use portables portably.
wink_face.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #714 of 1,483

It might be worth keeping your 2nd Edition and just pairing up a quiet portable amp.  I recently added a JDS C5 in between my Studio V 3A and a set of Heir 4.Ais, really like the sound there - noise floor is now invisible, but kept the highs right where I want them.

That being said, the mids are more recessed, and not quite as detailed (though still nice sounding) than when playing directly through the Studio V, so it depends a lot on the sound signature you're looking for.

For the money, I doubt you'll have as much of a difference going from the 2nd to the 3rd as you would by adding in a $200-$300 amp.  There are certainly a lot of options on the Amplification For Sale forum right now:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/6551/amplification-for-sale-trade

I went with the JDS C5 for two reasons: the reviews spoke highly of it's low noise floor, and its flip-o-the switch bass extender (for my bass head moments).

I also considered a Pico slim, and one from TTVJ, all of which can be found easily in that price range.

If you're not interested in the added girth though, then I certainly welcome you to the world of the 3rd Anniversary.

Anyone know when they're having their 4th Anniversary?  I should send them a cake.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #716 of 1,483
  Studio 2 has so much gain(output) for a similar noise floor that it may stress the input of an amp. I'd check the amp specs or ask the manufacturer before assuming it will work like the Anv 3.

Ahh, I had no idea - figured the output would have been pretty darn similar. There I go writing before reading again...

Thanks for the info goodvibes! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #717 of 1,483
JH13fp are neither crazy efficient (116) nor low impedance(28). JH16s would likely be too loud for me. If somebody is using a cable that may emphasize the noise, I could see it but with the stock cable and another I like, the 13 is not an issue for me as I have mine setup. I'm an old analog guy and use portables portably.:wink_face:  

I have the jh13 pre fp, and went back to stock cable. Twag v2 definitely made them more hissy.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #718 of 1,483
It might be worth keeping your 2nd Edition and just pairing up a quiet portable amp.  I recently added a JDS C5 in between my Studio V 3A and a set of Heir 4.Ais, really like the sound there - noise floor is now invisible, but kept the highs right where I want them.

That being said, the mids are more recessed, and not quite as detailed (though still nice sounding) than when playing directly through the Studio V, so it depends a lot on the sound signature you're looking for.

For the money, I doubt you'll have as much of a difference going from the 2nd to the 3rd as you would by adding in a $200-$300 amp.  There are certainly a lot of options on the Amplification For Sale forum right now:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/6551/amplification-for-sale-trade

I went with the JDS C5 for two reasons: the reviews spoke highly of it's low noise floor, and its flip-o-the switch bass extender (for my bass head moments).

I also considered a Pico slim, and one from TTVJ, all of which can be found easily in that price range.

If you're not interested in the added girth though, then I certainly welcome you to the world of the 3rd Anniversary.

Anyone know when they're having their 4th Anniversary?  I should send them a cake.

I know exactly where you're coming from, I was amping for a while , but with C&C BH. The hiss all but disappears, stage widens and the colouration was more than welcome , but like yourself the mids recessed and I lost that crisp edge in mid range extension by a small fraction. Overall I still rate it one of the better rigs I've heard, I'd limit volume on the studio to 28/31, there was a sweet spot. But what killed it for me was losing that small fraction of detail my vocals just werent reaching as deep, not by much mind you. I was however using this for a while and theres many pluses in doing so.You're right on the money and its certainly a plausible option.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #719 of 1,483
I have the jh13 pre fp, and went back to stock cable. Twag v2 definitely made them more hissy.

I like the pre FP more than most. They are a bit more sensitive and hot than my FPs but I wouldn't kick them out of bed. The V2 probably umm, snapped them up. The cable I'm using now is less etched than stock while extended and seemingly more resolved by lowering the hash of the stock cable. It's less lean than stock and connects the mids to the bass in a nice contiguous way. Very smooth noise character. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #720 of 1,483
This is really not a big deal, but sometimes when I press forward(right button)button on my studio V 3rd, the song stutters slightly at the start of the song. I have followed the info here and used Mp3tag for all the files. I was just wondering if anyone had this issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back