Hip-Hop with electronica, does it exist?
Apr 10, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
I keep hearing about him...and own nothing.
But there is so much!
Where to begin?
Hows Madvillainy? or the one with Madlib maybe?
Also heard good things about "mmm...food".

If you like the tv show aqua teen hunger force, pick up danger mouse, that is one of my faves!

Apr 10, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #18 of 33
I second the suggestion of The Crystal Method.

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood
I second the suggestion of The Crystal Method.

Crystal Method?
Guys...im looking for Hip-Hop, not breakbeats.

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #20 of 33
13 & God
cLOUDDEAD
Themselves
Prefuse 73
Odd Nosdam

All that comes to mind at the moment for electro-hip-hop. Amon Tobin is most excellent as well.

EDIT: After reading the topic, all I have to add is that I would kill the man who starts rapping to Boards of Canada. Painfully.

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by breadcrumbs
13 & God
cLOUDDEAD
Themselves
Prefuse 73
Odd Nosdam

All that comes to mind at the moment for electro-hip-hop. Amon Tobin is most excellent as well.

There are raps/lyrics on Amon Tobin albums?

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
There are raps/lyrics on Amon Tobin albums?

No, but there are on all the others. That's why I added him as an afterthought I think. You should check him out anyway.

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by breadcrumbs
No, but there are on all the others. That's why I added him as an afterthought I think. You should check him out anyway.

Which one of his albums has the most hip-hop type beats?
Thanx for the recs.

Apr 12, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #25 of 33
Some Princess Superstar has the electronic sound going for it.

Herbaliser is a NinjaTune Artist - it's breakbeats, but designed for hip-hop. They maintain a really cool ethereal James Bond motif too. Good chance to hear some unknown, intelligent Brit Rappers.

If you want to check out MF Doom, Dangerdoom, The Mouse and the Mask is definitely great and one of the catchiest rap albums of the year. No electronic stuff though.

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Some Princess Superstar has the electronic sound going for it.

Herbaliser is a NinjaTune Artist - it's breakbeats, but designed for hip-hop. They maintain a really cool ethereal James Bond motif too. Good chance to hear some unknown, intelligent Brit Rappers.

If you want to check out MF Doom, Dangerdoom, The Mouse and the Mask is definitely great and one of the catchiest rap albums of the year. No electronic stuff though.

Ive been hearing so much about MF; I have to just get an album already. Im gonn ajust trust you and pick up "The Mouse and the Mask" tomorrow...can you describe the sound?
I like deep, dark but chill beats...maybe completely unrelated, but I love The Beatnuts' sound.
Why are all of MF's songs so short?
I have heard him once-on one of Prefuse's albums (with Aesop Rock) on a track called "Blacklist". Excellent song and I was def. feeling MF's flow.
Thanx for the rec.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #27 of 33
Push Button Objects
Daedalus

both really good

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #28 of 33
Cultivated Bimbo was doing such stuff years ago. Check out their record "Your usefull guide to life", especially the tracks "98.6 and rising" and "Major breakdown".

Apr 12, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #29 of 33
Prefuse 73 isn't Scott Herren's only project with occasional vocals.

What about Anti-Pop Consortium, especially arrhythmia?

A lot of Tech House uses rap; it has the sounds but not the feel you seek. Too much comes to mind, and none of it sticks beyond the isolate track or two on an instrumental mix. Techno Animal once tried an album with harsh sounds and rap. I liked an earlier album he made with Porter Ricks, but this was preachy, obvious and embarrassing.

I love DJ Krush, but he and the Ninja roster seem more relaxed than the music you've described. You're looking for something more aggressive, yes?

As you probably know, drum and bass often has more toasting than rapping in the strict sense. I've heard isolate tracks by Total Science that might apply, but they're glossy, not dark. I might ask your question of the clerks at Breakbeat Science (really a dnb store), some of whom mix well themselves and most of whom could direct you to something relevant. I'm unable to think at the moment, as I can't stop remembering the bass line from Roni Size's "Snapshot."

I suppose I'd investiate Cujo if I were looking at Tobin, but that seems a dead end. I always think of "Verbal": ingenious in its way, but also reason to look elsewhere.

I hadn't thought of Push Button Objects. What have you heard that applies?

If there really is a dearth of current music in this category, then irony reigns, since (obviously) hip-hop begat "electronica" in the first place. Still, I'm feeling uninformed, so I'll fasten my rhubarb hole and listen to other voices on this thread.

Amusing, to read about Princess Superstar, since a friend co-produced Strictly Platinum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back