Hip Hop anyone?
Jun 25, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #17 of 51
I can't stress Lil Wayne enough.

Sure, he's commercial; he's also the best rapper alive. His flow is tight and to the point, great wordplay, and now that he's freed from Manny Fresh, very dynamic production. Check out Tha Carter 1-3.

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #19 of 51
THE DINO 5..... worlds greatest childrens hip-hop band. saul williams is good too.

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by koppite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't stress Lil Wayne enough.

Sure, he's commercial; he's also the best rapper alive. His flow is tight and to the point, great wordplay, and now that he's freed from Manny Fresh, very dynamic production. Check out Tha Carter 1-3.

No disrespect to you, but you really need to do some searching in Hip Hop if you truly believe he is the best rapper alive.

Ttvetjanu - For that "newer" Hip Hop sound you prefer, I'd definitely check out De La Soul's Stakes Is High. While it's nearly 12 years old, it is one of the greatest albums of all time, IMO. Anything by Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Roots (particularly Things Fall Apart) as well. If you are looking for something different, check out One Be Lo's S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M., one of my favorites as well. The production is very different than what was out there. And if you are looking for really progressive type Hip Hop, check out Panacea. Their albums Ink Is My Drink and The Scenic Route are both fantastic. Top notch production. For more of a political direction towards the lyrics can't get any better than Immortal Technique. Jedi Mind Tricks is great as well.

Hope this helps in your journey. Hip Hop, well I should say good/meaningful Hip Hop is one of, if not my favorite genre.
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #22 of 51
Wow completely forgot about The Coup and Cannibal Ox... great picks.

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #23 of 51
noone mentioned dilated peoples!!
Did They?
Jay z also done some stuff with linkin park which rocks!!
Common does some nice stuff with great mellow beats mainly!
Talib Kweli is lyrically awesome but lacks some of the production of the better heard of artists!!
Also might like Dizzee rascal or Kano if fancy lil bit of UK hiphop!

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by souledout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No disrespect to you, but you really need to do some searching in Hip Hop if you truly believe he is the best rapper alive.

Ttvetjanu - For that "newer" Hip Hop sound you prefer, I'd definitely check out De La Soul's Stakes Is High. While it's nearly 12 years old, it is one of the greatest albums of all time, IMO. Anything by Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Roots (particularly Things Fall Apart) as well. If you are looking for something different, check out One Be Lo's S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M., one of my favorites as well. The production is very different than what was out there. And if you are looking for really progressive type Hip Hop, check out Panacea. Their albums Ink Is My Drink and The Scenic Route are both fantastic. Top notch production. For more of a political direction towards the lyrics can't get any better than Immortal Technique. Jedi Mind Tricks is great as well.

Hope this helps in your journey. Hip Hop, well I should say good/meaningful Hip Hop is one of, if not my favorite genre.
biggrin.gif

Why do you say that?

In my opinion, the most tired hip-hop still produced is so-called "intelligent rap." Talib, Mos Def, Roots, Common, De La, Pharcyde; their new records just sound dull to me. De La and Common's recent CD's are trash, the new Roots album is a joke and Talib hasn't produced anything worth listening to since Blackstar.

Stakes is High is a great album, though. Jedi is OK, they were better in the Violent by Design era. Most people, (myself included,) think they sound flat now. Same with Immortal Technique (yeah, Bush sucks, blah blah.)

What I'm trying to say is that hip-hop isn't objectively good or bad. I don't get why people hate on Lil Wayne just because he's commercially successful. And, if you've read any of the less mainstream record reviews, I think people have really started warming up to him; (pitchfork gave him a great rating on his last album.)

Oh, and to contribute more:
Any garage music like The Streets, Dizzy Rascal, Wiley, Lady Sov.

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by koppite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you say that?

In my opinion, the most tired hip-hop still produced is so-called "intelligent rap." Talib, Mos Def, Roots, Common, De La, Pharcyde; their new records just sound dull to me. De La and Common's recent CD's are trash, the new Roots album is a joke and Talib hasn't produced anything worth listening to since Blackstar.

Stakes is High is a great album, though. Jedi is OK, they were better in the Violent by Design era. Most people, (myself included,) think they sound flat now. Same with Immortal Technique (yeah, Bush sucks, blah blah.)

What I'm trying to say is that hip-hop isn't objectively good or bad. I don't get why people hate on Lil Wayne just because he's commercially successful. And, if you've read any of the less mainstream record reviews, I think people have really started warming up to him; (pitchfork gave him a great rating on his last album.)

Oh, and to contribute more:
Any garage music like The Streets, Dizzy Rascal, Wiley, Lady Sov.

It's a very subjective topic. To me, Lil Wayne is nothing more than a punchline rapper. Nothing more. IMO his punchlines aren't even that great. Most of the things he says just makes me sit here and think, what in the world did this dude just say... It has nothing to do with his mainstream success, it has all to do with his lack of being an emcee. I've listened to him and I'm not feelin' em whatsoever. His voice is annoying, his flow is eh, his rhymes are just plain wack. This is all my opinion of course...like I said, it's very subjective.

How can you say "intelligent Hip Hop" is tired? What about the type of "Hip Hop" that is played on the radio and your boy, Lil Wayne "rhyme" about? That isn't tired?

You really are going to put Lil Wayne up there better than Posdouns, Blu, Black Thought, Phonte, Talib and even Mos on his worst day? We must have different ears man! This is all my opinion and to each his own. Yes, the production the dude gets is some of the best, especially on The Carter 3...but seriously? Dude a great emcee? I'm trying to decipher why people are calling him that, not hating or disrespecting his fans. I must not be hearing the same thing you're hearing.

But back to suggestions, Atmosphere is another group worth mentioning. Slug, another emcee better than Lil Wayne.

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by souledout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a very subjective topic. To me, Lil Wayne is nothing more than a punchline rapper. Nothing more. IMO his punchlines aren't even that great. Most of the things he says just makes me sit here and think, what in the world did this dude just say... It has nothing to do with his mainstream success, it has all to do with his lack of being an emcee. I've listened to him and I'm not feelin' em whatsoever. His voice is annoying, his flow is eh, his rhymes are just plain wack. This is all my opinion of course...like I said, it's very subjective.

How can you say "intelligent Hip Hop" is tired? What about the type of "Hip Hop" that is played on the radio and your boy, Lil Wayne "rhyme" about? That isn't tired?

You really are going to put Lil Wayne up there better than Posdouns, Blu, Black Thought, Phonte, Talib and even Mos on his worst day? We must have different ears man! This is all my opinion and to each his own. Yes, the production the dude gets is some of the best, especially on The Carter 3...but seriously? Dude a great emcee? I'm trying to decipher why people are calling him that, not hating or disrespecting his fans. I must not be hearing the same thing you're hearing.

But back to suggestions, Atmosphere is another group worth mentioning. Slug, another emcee better than Lil Wayne.

SLUG is cool, also I love what his name stands for: Sean Loves Ugly Girls.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #28 of 51
Other people have recommended them, but I went through a hip-hop / rap phase myself a while ago, and I really can't stress enough how much a Tribe Called Quest kicks ass.

Low End Theory is by far my favorite hip-hop album.

Also really dig the others, De La Soul, Mos Def. Wu-Tang Clan is another classic group. And I saw someone else mentioned The Fugees - The Score. I love that album....I think sometimes people forget about it when they're talking about great hip-hop albums, but its gotta be up there.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, these are the 50 best Hip-Hop albums (In no particular order):

Great list but you forgot Paris: The Devil Mad Me Do It, and Body Count: The Radio EP (Cop Killer).

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #30 of 51
Another classic to add to the list is Blackalicious - Nia.

Shallow Days is still a really strong track in my opinion.

I think all of the stuff that comes out from the Quannum collective is always good. I'm so glad that Lifesavas hooked up with those guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back