Hiking boots for small feet...
Apr 29, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #16 of 27
Go take a look here:

http://www.rei.com

REI will have a boot for you. Not so much recently, but I used to do quite a bit of hiking and a little climbing here and there. I've never had a need to shop anywhere else.

Back to the point, I believe this site has a size finder for shoes/boots. Also, you might have a store in your area. If you do, go there. REI employees tend towards the extremely helpful, and they will make sure you're happy.

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Go take a look here:

REI will have a boot for you. Not so much recently, but I used to do quite a bit of hiking and a little climbing here and there. I've never had a need to shop anywhere else.

Back to the point, I believe this site has a size finder for shoes/boots. Also, you might have a store in your area. If you do, go there. REI employees tend towards the extremely helpful, and they will make sure you're happy.

Yeah, REI can really help you to find the right size. They'll put you into a boot that fits perfect. Very knowledgable staff. (Well at least here they are)

Apr 29, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #19 of 27
Feet don't have a sex.

If the best fitting / performing boots are a womans model - no matter.

In a boot, it's unlikely anyone will ever know the difference.

Your feet will know the difference if they don't fit well.

Apr 29, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #20 of 27
I went to REI and wanted to buy their most expensive hiking boot. The person helping me advised against the top model because he didn't feel that it would fit my foot correctly. He had me try on a lower-priced model and I've been enjoying them for three years.

If you have an REI nearby, I suggest you go in and let them help you.

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Go take a look here:

Excellent web site, with a large selection of boots. I tried their sizing method, and with my usual heavy socks, and after a 4 hour hike this AM, I find I'm a size 8. So that opens things up a lot. I'll look around and see if we have an REI locally.

Thanks for the tip!

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #22 of 27
Keep in mind that your size may vary depending on the manufacturer. I wear shoes anywhere between a 9.5 to 11.5
eek.gif

May 17, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0
I'm in need of some new hiking boots, but the problem is I need about a 7 or 7 1/2. Most mens boots start at size 8. I know they need to accomodate bulky socks, so that helps a little. Any specific brands to recommend? I'm not planning on climbing any mountains, but I will be hiking some fairly rugged trails, like the Bruce Peninsula and possibly the Adirondacks. I'll also be carrying a lot of camera gear.

Hi there Beerguy, have you had a taste of the trail yet?
icon10.gif

I couldn't help wake this thread up again: I just had an evening alone with my oldest son, watching slides from trekking weeks in Norway 15 years ago (before the kids). I really envy people who have the opportunity to take on those kinds of adventures today...

May 17, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
icon10.gif

I couldn't help wake this thread up again: I just had an evening alone with my oldest son, watching slides from trekking weeks in Norway 15 years ago (before the kids). I really envy people who have the opportunity to take on those kinds of adventures today...

Do you not have the chance to hike/trek anymore? Fishing, Hiking, and Whitewater Rafting are so important to me. There's not much else that I can do that gives me the kind of joy that those things do.

May 18, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
Do you not have the chance to hike/trek anymore? Fishing, Hiking, and Whitewater Rafting are so important to me. There's not much else that I can do that gives me the kind of joy that those things do.

Not really. The kids are still too small to go hiking with for any meaningfull distance. In five years perhaps.

May 18, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
icon10.gif

I was out this weekend, a field trip for the landscape photography class I'm taking. We're going on another trip this weekend that will involve some more hiking. I've also been spending time at a few of the local parks, getting my legs in shape for summer, and reading guide books to plan some summer day/weekend trips.

I haven't bought new boots yet, but I plan to this weekend. I've been looking around the local stores, and finally found a place that actually knows how to fit boots.

A few pictures from this past weekend trip:

Conesus Lake:

70196427-L.jpg

Stony Brook State Park:

70196440-L.jpg

70196460-L.jpg

70196463-L.jpg

70196468-L.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back