High school friends after graduation
Jan 28, 2015 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I realise that there is no right or wrong answer but I have to admit that while I love my high school friends and classmates very very dearly, I have no desire to keep in contact with them or to maintain friendships. And no I am not a Facebook guy.

I have had chances to attend high school reunions but I never had a desire to attend any one of them. I love my high school too but have no desire to ever visit it and have no desire to ever see any of my old teachers.

Yes, I appear to be cold hearted and maybe there is something wrong with me and maybe I need to be corrected but I just don't feel it in many ways. Yes there are times when I do get emotional and miss everybody and the old days because it's still in my heart and the nolstagia gets to me but overall, I don't see the need like many people out there to still keep in contact with any school friends.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 7
I realise that there is no right or wrong answer but I have to admit that while I love my high school friends and classmates very very dearly, I have no desire to keep in contact with them or to maintain friendships. And no I am not a Facebook guy.

I have had chances to attend high school reunions but I never had a desire to attend any one of them. I love my high school too but have no desire to ever visit it and have no desire to ever see any of my old teachers.

Yes, I appear to be cold hearted and maybe there is something wrong with me and maybe I need to be corrected but I just don't feel it in many ways. Yes there are times when I do get emotional and miss everybody and the old days because it's still in my heart and the nolstagia gets to me but overall, I don't see the need like many people out there to still keep in contact with any school friends.

I definitely feel you there. It's been a little more than 4 years since I really interacted with my high school friends, having just finished my undergraduate degree not too long ago. I loved my high school, and the orchestra, but have not made much effort to go back to visit or catch up with high school friends. 

It's a shame, since it's a whole generation of networking that you miss out on. Perhaps it's because high school is one of the major transitional phases in one's life. 

This very topic has been on my mind recently. I realized that my current network consists very little of my high school classmates. Worst case scenario is that we all just secretly hate each other and purposely avoid each other. 

Not sure what I'm trying to say really. haha Just agreeing with your sentiments. 

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 7

It's a shame, since it's a whole generation of networking that you miss out on. Perhaps it's because high school is one of the major transitional phases in one's life. 

Yeah, it's true. It's amazing how I can go through long periods and never think about high school but from time to time, I do think back as if it were an important chapter. I know this one old guy who actually recently attended his high school reunion from the early 1960s! I'm not sure if I could ever do that. I think it could actually be depressing.

But then again, it is common in Japan for people to be close friends with their elementary school classmates even if they are 80 years old and they remain in contact for life.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 7
I pretty much only hang out with 4 of my friends from high school; one was my best friend since Kindergarden and the other I met as a freshman in PE. The other two came into the picture as friends of friends, but yea; other than them I rarely see anybody else that I knew. 

I think that's how it largely goes, especially if people go off to college. I only see those friends a few times over the year over spring break and holidays. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 7
Sad to say, I have not met my college and high school friends since like two-three years and more than five years ago respectively.
I am sure they have their own family lives and work and will be so busy.

Of course, I don't use Facebook.
I prefer to be alone, maybe this is an issue with me?

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 7
Recently I listened to a YouTube vlog rambling and the guy briefly mentioned that you can't relive past glories. I think there may be truth to that.

High school and college was a time of discovery. It was a time when these experiences were fresh, new and cutting edge in life. That excitement can never be repeated with your high school friends.

Of course, everyone is different. Relationships do evolve and can enter new chapters in life. I'm not a Facebook guy but to me it's kind of weird being Facebook friends with your high school friends and not contacting them anymore. After a while, it may possibly get depressing seeing them age as they get older.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 7
And speaking of getting old. Last year I had a conversation with this other senior citizen who went to a high school reunion. He grew up in the 1950s I think. He mentioned that he saw the prettiest girl whom he had a mad crush on but now she's an old lady who looks completely different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back