High pitched squeal coming through headphones
Mar 19, 2014 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

acmis

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Since I bought my new audio setup a few weeks ago I've had a constant problem. Every so often (maybe 10% of the time) there is a high pitched, oscillating noise in the right ear of my headphones (beyer DT880 600 ohm), I'd say it goes between 10 KHz and 13 KHz as a rough estimate. I can't hear it when there is music or other audio playing but when there is no audio output I find it very, very annoying.

I have a Schiit Modi and Magni paired with it, the Modi is connected to a rear USB 2.0 port on my PC. I've tried juggling USB connectors about but the problem still persists. I cannot replicate the problem on command, it's completely random. I know sometimes things like this can be caused by moving the mouse around but it's not the case on this occasion.

I'm fairly sure it's some sort of interference with the USB bus on my motherboard. Is there anything I can do to stop it? It may also be a problem with my DAC/amp but from what I've researched, I don't think that's the case.

Cheers! :)

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 9
maybe you can try something like a USB isolator. Is there like another computer you can try? If your smartphone supports USB OTG and u have the OTG cable, you could try connecting the amp/dac to it. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 9
  maybe you can try something like a USB isolator. Is there like another computer you can try? If your smartphone supports USB OTG and u have the OTG cable, you could try connecting the amp/dac to it. 

Sadly I don't have any other device to try it with.

What is a USB isolator? Does it remove any interference?

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 9
  Sadly I don't have any other device to try it with.

What is a USB isolator? Does it remove any interference?

example of a usb isolator: http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=122

also explains to you what it does. But IDK if it will solve your particular problem tho. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 9
Hmmmm. I guess I could give it a shot.

Seems like it would only work if the issue was caused by unclean power/ground loop issues. If the signal itself is defunct then it wouldn't do anything, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back