High-End Over-Ear Discussion
Jan 19, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #16 of 24

The main reason I don't go into detail myself is because we're not supposed to recommend headphones we don't own, etc. If you read the reviews and impressions threads out there, you will find many comparisons with other headphones. Many people like it more than every other high-end headphone, though there are plenty who dislike it, which is true for anything. Before you buy any expensive headphone, you should audition it first, and also bear in mind that you will need to pair it with an amplifier, DAC, and other components that can end up being quite costly.

Are you sure none of it is placebo? And I will definitely look around for some good comparisons, preferably those with other good components in the setup to maximize its potential.

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #17 of 24
  Are you sure none of it is placebo? And I will definitely look around for some good comparisons, preferably those with other good components in the setup to maximize its potential.

Yes, I'm sure. Many things are placebo, but headphones are usually very different, though you can use EQ to tune them to be more similar to each other.

Here is one link with some good comparisons.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #18 of 24

Yes, I'm sure. Many things are placebo, but headphones are usually very different, though you can use EQ to tune them to be more similar to each other.

Here is one link with some good comparisons.

Thanks for the link! Reading through it right now, but people go crazy over fancy USB cables which is ridiculous, and obviously placebo, but I will read through this before I say anything else haha

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #19 of 24
  Thanks for the link! Reading through it right now, but people go crazy over fancy USB cables which is ridiculous, and obviously placebo, but I will read through this before I say anything else haha

I don't recall any mention of USB cables in that review. Some aftermarket headphone cables definitely sound very different, and I'm speaking from experience. But just for reference, here is a comparison of high-end USB cables. I make no claims as to its validity, but at the least, it makes for an interesting read.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #20 of 24

I don't recall any mention of USB cables in that review. Some aftermarket headphone cables definitely sound very different, and I'm speaking from experience. But just for reference, here is a comparison of high-end USB cables. I make no claims as to its validity, but at the least, it makes for an interesting read.

No I'm just making an analogy, since USB is digital, and the quality of 0s and 1s doesn't change, but people who spend hundreds on a USB cable claim it has improvement to SQ, which is placebo because of the price.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #21 of 24
  No I'm just making an analogy, since USB is digital, and the quality of 0s and 1s doesn't change, but people who spend hundreds on a USB cable claim it has improvement to SQ, which is placebo because of the price.

The argument is that the timing of that data is what matters - but I'm not making that argument.
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #22 of 24

The argument is that the timing of that data is what matters - but I'm not making that argument.
tongue.gif

Yeah let's not haha
But out of all those he compared the Abyss to, it seems the LCD-2 and TH900 had the closest sound quality, and they weren't off by far, but I don't think these minor differences account for such a hefty price difference.
But, learning this now, if I had the kind of money to throw at these cans, I would definitely buy them 
beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #23 of 24
  Yeah let's not haha
But out of all those he compared the Abyss to, it seems the LCD-2 and TH900 had the closest sound quality, and they weren't off by far, but I don't think these minor differences account for such a hefty price difference.
But, learning this now, if I had the kind of money to throw at these cans, I would definitely buy them 
beerchug.gif

Bear in mind that's just one review. Other people consider the improvement to be more significant, while others prefer the more affordable models anyway. Personal preference beats technical performance, etc. any day. =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back