High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jan 9, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #4,141 of 4,183
not 2800 dollars worth

Jan 10, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #4,142 of 4,183
worth if you crap money from your anus

otherwise yeah i agree , 3K for a cable is laughing matter

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #4,143 of 4,183
If I purchase a $2800 IEM cable for my IER-Z1R like this one,will I notice improvement in sound quality in comparison to my IER-Z1R’s stock cable in my audio setup [Chord Hugo 2 (using optical) + SMSL PO100 Pro + MacBook Air (using Roon 2.0 software)] Also,can someone recommend a better IEM cable (or the best IEM cable in the world) than this one for my IER-Z1R?
Try this one, looks like the endgame to me but still not cheap to me, not only the alloys chosen for the timbre, but the geometry is thought out to minimize distortion
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003936634920.html
The price is lower for subscribers

Attachments

• Vulture-Single-crystal-silver-gold-palladium.jpg
    Vulture-Single-crystal-silver-gold-palladium.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 10, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #4,144 of 4,183
worth if you crap money from your anus

otherwise yeah i agree , 3K for a cable is laughing matter
that is quite an image you conjure up

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #4,147 of 4,183
Isn’t IER-Z1R on the same level as Abyss? Are you saying that Abyss offers better sound quality than IER-Z1R? I don’t think that’s true…
The Z1R can compare to other IEM's and lower open back. It can't compete with the best full size offerings.

Jan 11, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #4,149 of 4,183
For anyone interested the Code 51 cable I bought last week from another Head-Fier is UP FOR SALE as I don't feel its the best pairing with my EVO which for me suits copper better. I find the treble a little too aggressive, for context it is also partnered with a Cayin N6ii DAP which is itself a lively player, I think the combination isnt right for me with the EVO. I think I made an expensive mistake as I had already read the recommendations not to partner an EVO with a silver cable, but I went ahead regardless. Should I part with the EVO, no doubt the Code 51 will be a brilliant cable for another top-tier IEM but I have no intention of doing that just yet.

Which leads me onto what to replace this cable with. I am speaking to DoctorJuggles about some options, and my initial thought was to look at the 4-Wire Cardas Clear Light cable he makes which is a clone of the 1960s, a cable reputed to work well with the Empire Ears EVO. I lean towards a warm, exciting, sound with good bass and away from a neutral sound. I wondered if anyone has heard this pairing, or perhaps cables that work well with the EE EVO that I should take a look at?

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #4,150 of 4,183
For anyone interested the Code 51 cable I bought last week from another Head-Fier is UP FOR SALE as I don't feel its the best pairing with my EVO which for me suits copper better. I find the treble a little too aggressive, for context it is also partnered with a Cayin N6ii DAP which is itself a lively player, I think the combination isnt right for me with the EVO. I think I made an expensive mistake as I had already read the recommendations not to partner an EVO with a silver cable, but I went ahead regardless. Should I part with the EVO, no doubt the Code 51 will be a brilliant cable for another top-tier IEM but I have no intention of doing that just yet.

Which leads me onto what to replace this cable with. I am speaking to DoctorJuggles about some options, and my initial thought was to look at the 4-Wire Cardas Clear Light cable he makes which is a clone of the 1960s, a cable reputed to work well with the Empire Ears EVO. I lean towards a warm, exciting, sound with good bass and away from a neutral sound. I wondered if anyone has heard this pairing, or perhaps cables that work well with the EE EVO that I should take a look at?
I made myself a cable out of Cardas Golden Ratio 23.5 awg conductor, including direction, with Plussound gold connectors, and to be honest, I didn't like the sound. I read that their cables need to be burned for a long time, maybe the sound has improved over time, but more than 500 hours have passed and I still don't like the sound. The sound seems harsh, lacks fluidity, at first it sounded bassy and bright, over time the sound evened out, high frequencies are quite good for copper cable, but still it sounds too tight for me. I wonder if Cardas Clear Light cables are made from the same conductor.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #4,151 of 4,183
I made myself a cable out of Cardas Golden Ratio 23.5 awg conductor, including direction, with Plussound gold connectors, and to be honest, I didn't like the sound. I read that their cables need to be burned for a long time, maybe the sound has improved over time, but more than 500 hours have passed and I still don't like the sound. The sound seems harsh, lacks fluidity, at first it sounded bassy and bright, over time the sound evened out, high frequencies are quite good for copper cable, but still it sounds too tight for me. I wonder if Cardas Clear Light cables are made from the same conductor.
Cardas Golden Ratio, what is the conductor material and is it solid or stranded. How about your source and HP/IEMS.

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #4,152 of 4,183

Attachments

• изображение_2023-01-12_123312646.png
    изображение_2023-01-12_123312646.png
    159.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 12, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #4,153 of 4,183
Not sure but I have a Cardas Clear Light and it totally has the smoothness, analog and warmth mentioned.
Regarding the cable you mentioned - it doesn't seem to be designed for IEMs at all, so the ergonomics will suffer. Too much for an IEM where it matters.

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #4,154 of 4,183
Not sure but I have a Cardas Clear Light and it totally has the smoothness, analog and warmth mentioned.
Regarding the cable you mentioned - it doesn't seem to be designed for IEMs at all, so the ergonomics will suffer. Too much for an IEM where it matters.
I didn't find a more suitable Cardas conductor, 23,5 AWG is perfect, the thinner one was only this one ( https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/cardas-265-awg.html ), without golden ratio and in polyurethane, which I didn't like. I don't feel any warmth with my version of the cable, the warmth can also be caused by a bad dielectric which creates electrical noise, with teflon cables I never felt any warmth, but teflon is too stiff for an iem cables.

Jan 20, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #4,155 of 4,183
is there a cable maker/fixer located in EU that fixes cables ?

my PW 1960s cable is ''breaking up'' (probably some faulty connection) and i would prefer to have it shipped within EU cause custom are MFs in my country

thanx for any answers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back