high end headphones for EDM/bass heavy music?
Jan 14, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #16 of 31
Hi everyone. I'm back after owning the Beyerdynamic T5P for a week. I'm going to return them. Here's why:
-There is something loose in the right earcup. Maybe it's a tiny screw.
-The low end rolls off a bit early and even though it's thicker and deeper than the sundaras, it's not enough of an improvement.
-They don't perform well at loud volumes. They distort in a really weird way that I've never heard in another set of cans. They're also pretty fatiguing.
-I think they sound hollowed out. I don't know why, because I can't really pinpoint what's missing, but I think it has something to do with how the lower mids sound. It lacks a fullness and everything sounds so distant
They're also a bit small for my big ears, so comfort isn't great for me.
-I liked the imaging and the separation (Hoping I'll use these terms correctly), but they didn't sound very immersive. I think they sounded like everything was far away from you.

So guys, I'm now looking for another set of cans. Maybe I didn't actually know what I wanted when I made this thread.

I want them to be good all rounders, but shine a little extra on EDM music. I want them to be immersive, detailed and pretty fast/punchy. I want to be able to hear all the different instruments of a song so I guess kinda analytical. Maybe close to neutral, but a bit more fun on the bass side.

Would be great if there were such a thing that's similar, but a solid upgrade from the hifiman Sundaras/He-400i that can be played just as loud and does better on the bassy side without losing details.

I'm still wondering if the LCD-X is what I'm looking for.

How do they compare to the X? I'm also wondering if the hifiman Ananda's might be for me? So far, I have a good experience with open planar headphones
Hmm, that not good. I was gonna snatch a pair. I can't stand hollow and distant. I like em full and forward. Your description reminds me of the NightOwl. Were you feeding them enough juice?

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #17 of 31
Comfort and musicality?

You'll know what i'm going to say. :):):)

Take a look at the affordable Quads. ^^
But, they're not V-shaped, nor w-shaped.
No matter what music you'll throw to them, they could handle with ease, imo.
Wether it's metal, edm, dubstep or classical.

With an additional after market cable and proper amplification, they'll fulfill most needs, i'm sure.
They're light weight for a planar and the pads are made for larger ears. ( 4.5cm x 7cm )

It's worth a look. :wink:

Red is velour pads, blue is angled sheep skin leather pads, which opens up the sound.
Quad Era-1? I had the Alara - they were close, but not close enough to keep. Would I possibly be happier with the Quads?

Jan 15, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #18 of 31
It's said that Alara and Era doesn't sound similar.
I myself can't judge the alara couz i never heard them.
The Quads are . . . . . the Quads. ^^
Very livelike sound reproduction with lots of musicality.
It's made just to enjoy listening, imo.
It's a shame that there're not much test units out there on stores.

Jan 15, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #19 of 31
Go to a local Head-Fi meet.

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #20 of 31
It's said that Alara and Era doesn't sound similar.
I myself can't judge the alara couz i never heard them.
The Quads are . . . . . the Quads. ^^
Very livelike sound reproduction with lots of musicality.
It's made just to enjoy listening, imo.
It's a shame that there're not much test units out there on stores.
For sure. Gonna read through the dedicated thread now. Thx

Jan 16, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #21 of 31
I'm not sure if they count as high end or mid, but I own a pair of Campfire Audio Cascades and they have a very engaging sound and amazing bass. Like, the best bass I've heard in a pair of headphones, to the point where it almost convinces me that they have a subwoofer packed somewhere. The bass rumbles and reaches low low low without muddling the mids or lacking highs.

I use them very sparingly however simply due to how heavy they are, they're rock solid when it comes to construction, completely metal with very comfy magnetic pads and an awesome cable. The bass they produce is the highlight of the headphones so I'd say it's hard to go wrong with them.

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #22 of 31
Hi everyone. I'm back after owning the Beyerdynamic T5P for a week. I'm going to return them. Here's why:
-There is something loose in the right earcup. Maybe it's a tiny screw.
-The low end rolls off a bit early and even though it's thicker and deeper than the sundaras, it's not enough of an improvement.
-They don't perform well at loud volumes. They distort in a really weird way that I've never heard in another set of cans. They're also pretty fatiguing.
-I think they sound hollowed out. I don't know why, because I can't really pinpoint what's missing, but I think it has something to do with how the lower mids sound. It lacks a fullness and everything sounds so distant
They're also a bit small for my big ears, so comfort isn't great for me.
-I liked the imaging and the separation (Hoping I'll use these terms correctly), but they didn't sound very immersive. I think they sounded like everything was far away from you.

So guys, I'm now looking for another set of cans. Maybe I didn't actually know what I wanted when I made this thread.

I want them to be good all rounders, but shine a little extra on EDM music. I want them to be immersive, detailed and pretty fast/punchy. I want to be able to hear all the different instruments of a song so I guess kinda analytical. Maybe close to neutral, but a bit more fun on the bass side.

Would be great if there were such a thing that's similar, but a solid upgrade from the hifiman Sundaras/He-400i that can be played just as loud and does better on the bassy side without losing details.

I'm still wondering if the LCD-X is what I'm looking for.

How do they compare to the X? I'm also wondering if the hifiman Ananda's might be for me? So far, I have a good experience with open planar headphones

I just came across your post and been looking for the same kind of headphone. What did you end up going with?

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #23 of 31
Since this isn’t too old I’ll chime in. I’m using an emu teak, and while they’re very good for the price (especially the bass) they are lacking in some of the technicalities of the higher end stuff.

I had Elears a bit ago and those were great for edm too, especially with the imaging and detail, but they couldn’t handle enough bass EQ to satisfy me. Do not recommend.

After extensive armchair research, I will probably end up with a ZMF Eikon. Closed back is a requirement for me though. I heard the Z1R at a Sony store in Bangkok and wasn’t really impressed.

Doesn’t leave a lot of options left, but the general consensus is that biodyna drivers give the best sense of visceral bass that makes edm so much more fun. The Eikon has that, a really nice FR response that doesn’t drop off in the low bass (extends like a planar) and supposedly, great imaging, a relatively airy treble and good soundstage for a closed back.

I don’t have any experience with planars, so I can’t comment on the lcd line, but to OP and eqpofr above, I don’t think you can go wrong with an Eikon. Not to mention their stellar build quality, great customer service (I’ve emailed Zach several times, always get a great response), and supposedly good comfort for the weight (ymmv).
THX00 or EMu Teak would be great to get your feet wet without breaking the bank. And they’ll be super easy to sell if you decide to jump up to the Eikons. I’m personally avoiding the Th900 due to the fact that my last X00 broke apart.

Denon D7200 is the only other headphone on my consideration list right now unless I can demo an lcd and EQ the crap out if it to see what that planar bass can do.

I’ve also had SZ2000s, so I know bass. I use an ifi ican with XBass and a schiit Loki together for skull crushing bass. The Fostex drivers are no joke there, the bass hype is real. After having the Elear though, I know better technical performance is out there for everything else.

good luck! Rambling end.

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #24 of 31
Since this isn’t too old I’ll chime in. I’m using an emu teak, and while they’re very good for the price (especially the bass) they are lacking in some of the technicalities of the higher end stuff.
I just found this thread as I am in search os something midfi, perhaps entry level hifi and was looking at the E-MU Teak. I'm coming from a V-MODA crossfade m100 and recently got into IEM's with the FH3 and absolutely love it's bass for EDM music(mostly listen to house and techno, sometimes rock and the fh3 is good for that as well). I have myself a FiiO Q3 and M11 Pro as dac/amp and DAP that I can power something through. The E-MU Teak was recommended for me for EDM in the $500ish price range. I kinda wanted to dip my toes into it before getting something endgame/TOTL and needing a proper desktop setup.

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #25 of 31
I have never heard the Teak, but I have the Denon AHD7000.........that is from the same manufacturer. I love it for EDM.

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #26 of 31
I just found this thread as I am in search os something midfi, perhaps entry level hifi and was looking at the E-MU Teak. I'm coming from a V-MODA crossfade m100 and recently got into IEM's with the FH3 and absolutely love it's bass for EDM music(mostly listen to house and techno, sometimes rock and the fh3 is good for that as well). I have myself a FiiO Q3 and M11 Pro as dac/amp and DAP that I can power something through. The E-MU Teak was recommended for me for EDM in the $500ish price range. I kinda wanted to dip my toes into it before getting something endgame/TOTL and needing a proper desktop setup.
EMu teak is very good for the price. I just got an ananda too, and it’s very satisfying in the bass department, but requires a lot of EQ to get there. I personally haven’t heard anything with a satisfactory bass response that doesn’t require EQ, including the emu and mahogany X00s. The emu still wins in bass impact/power at unsustainable levels, but for actually listening, the ananda hits plenty hard and is better overall. I think a sundara or other nice planars could also be viable options if you have EQ.

Apr 16, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #27 of 31
I just came across your post and been looking for the same kind of headphone. What did you end up going with?
Hi. Sorry for the late reply. I have the LCD-X and currently using them with THX AAA 789. After more than a year, I'm still very satisfied with them. The mid-highs were a little sharp for my ears but they're very detailed. They're EQ friendly in my opinion. The lower frequencies are incredible! Build quality is solid, although I've had to tighten the screws that connect the earcups to the headband a couple of times.

They can also sound louder than you would ever need them to, without breaking a sweat! Comfort is good. The cushions are great but the headband could be nicer. I can still wear them for hours without any issues. I got used to the weight and don't even think about it anymore. I'm not sure if that would be the case for everyone though.

I don't regret buying them. Even though there are probably way better EDM alternatives out there. Sooner or later, I'll probably go looking for another pair to feed my addiction, but I won't get rid of these.

Apr 16, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #28 of 31
Hi everyone. I've lurked on this forum for a while and decided to make an account because I really need some advice. I wasn't able to find exactly what I was looking for.

I listen to a lot of electronic music. Mainly electro, future bounce, future house etc.

Are there any headphones out there that fulfill most of the criteria below?
1. Have a detailed punchy bass without sounding muddy
2. Have a bit of a V-shaped signature
3. Have detailed highs without being fatiguing
4. Can be cranked up to very loud volumes without distorting (I know it's almost a sin around here, but I like it loud some times)
5. are comfortable enough to wear for hours

Even though I love bass, I don't want it to drown out the rest of the frequencies too much.

My current headphones are the Hifiman Sundara paired with an Arcam rHead. I really like how they sound except that the bass is too flat for me. I tried to EQ them but that didn't work very well. I've also owned a pair of sennheiser HD25s, which I thought sounded pretty fun even though they were far from perfect.

These are the models I've been looking into buying:
-Fostex TH-900
-Sony MDR-Z1R
-Denon AH-D7200
-Audeze LCD-X or XC (I've heard that they aren't very comfortable though)
-ultrasone pro 900

Closed or open doesn't matter too much to be, but I prefer over ear

Are there any cans I should know about that that might suit my needs better?

Thank you so much for reading this wall of text. Sorry for being a bit of a newbie.
The headphone you are looking for is the Audio Technica ATH-WP900. It's a perfect match for what you're after.

Apr 16, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #30 of 31
Absolutely. I couldn't agree more!
I'm listening some LCD Soundsystem right now on the WP900 and it's bloody fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back