High-end full-size headphone for the first time
Dec 18, 2010 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Szadzik

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Everyone,

I have been here for some time and enjoyed the headphones I had and sold and those I still have. I have recently started building a bit higher quality rig though and need your advice here. 

Current setup:
I will soon have a full portable rig with Senn MX980, AT CK10 and AT ESW10 with Sony X1060 as a source that will serve me both while travelling and at work (I am a contractor and spend a lot of time travelling and 'in the field where I stay for 80 days at a time).
I now can afford to buy some better gear and now am thinking of buying some nice headphones for use at home and I want something really good.

At the moment I use HD555s to watch movies on my computer and nothing else as I do not like their properties for listening to music.
I now want something mainly for music.

Source etc.:
I do not have much knowledge or experience with headphones (have had ESW9, K450, HD555, MX980 and a few other low-fi phones) and thus I am not sure I want to jump into buying amps as I doubt that will give me more listening time at this time. I would like to buy a pair of really good phones that will sound great unamped - open or closed does not really matter, even though my flat is near a busy street and having closed cans would definitely make it easier to fight the sounds of the street. I am not going to change my source either (Sony X1060 and my computer - this may need a better souncard so I am open to suggestions here). 90% of my music is 320kbps mp3 files and the rest will be converted to that too. Neither the computer nor the Walkman will have lossless files on it. (the amp and source part I thought is just for now - I want to buy headphones  I will enjoy unamped now, but will think about buying an amp anda better source in the future without having to buy better headphones).

Sound preferences:
Since I have little experience with headphones it will be difficult to describe what I really like but I will try. 
What I had and how I felt about it:
I used to have AT ESW9s and I like them ok. In the beginning they were very good and then I wanted a bit more. I lked their sound signature, but the bass was a bit too loose, speed not good enough and I found them a bit too coloured in the end. I had K450s and I sold them pretty quickly because the sound was too dark and veiled which made long listening sessions imposible (with ESW9s I travelled for 24 hours and longer only taking them off for security checks). I have a pair of MX980s and they are pretty neutral with a good amount of bass, but are still a bit darkish I would say (not sure if I am describing their sound correctly). 
What I want:
An energetic, fast headphone with a good amount of bass (I am not a basshead for sure) that will be mostly neutral, well balanced, but not tiring. I still want it to be a fun headphone that will let me enjoy the music and not just sit and analyze every note - I am not that kind of listener. I want the music to take me in so I can forget about the whole world and just relax and enjoy. Whenever Itry to do some research and think of a full-sze headphone I would like I keep going bck to Denon's offerings AH-D2000/5000/7000 for some reason. I have no idea if that is what I want though - maybe you can help. I also looked at some AT phones, but never reached any conclusion whether I like them or not. As for testing headphones, I have not many chances of doing that. I spend a lot of time away and there is no place there to go to listen headphones apart from HD205s and Px 100s :) and when I am home I have no time to go around shops.

Music preferences:
I listen to a few various genres. The artists I listen to: Rammstein, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Ozzy Osbourne, Jess Stone, Antonio Vivaldi, Black Eyed Peas a bit, Black Label Society, Buckethead, Slash, Alice Cooper, some Jazz music and some classical too.

My budget is completely open with no limits at this moment and I would prefer something that is available in Europe, but if something really good comes up that I have to import I will do it without hesitation. If you think I will have to change the source to something like HM-801 or something like that let me know too, I am open to suggestions.

What are your thoughts guys?

P.S. Looking at Denon offerings I am thinking about D5000 as a good performer for a good price and maybe these would be the ones I would take into account first.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 18
Get yourself an amp with D5000 if you go with that. My coworker was not too impressed when she tried my d5000 while I went looking for an usb cable.  She was like wow... when I got back and set up my fiio e7/e9. 

I also just put in an order for Audio-GD's NFB-12 DAC/AMP combo and I think that will serve me very well also....

so... if your source for now is your computer, I think you really need to add a dac/amp into the equation.

Both of the above is 200ish...  NFB-12 is $245 shipped on my order.

I have the D5000 and it is my "main" phone.  While rock still sound pretty good on it, I definitely prefer using my Grado 225i over D5000 when I want to rock out on some ACDC.  Grado is just not as versatile... it does 1 thing well... rest, kind of blah, atleast at this level.  Do not have experience with their higher end line.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 18
I like the sound of the Denon AH-D2000, but I've not heard it without an amp.  And I'm not sure I would call these fast.  However, these do give a full sound and the listening experience is quite immersive.  Bass is good... although I was listening to these with a dedicated headphone amplifier and that would have helped, no doubt.  Notwithstanding, you could get these on their own and add an amp later if you felt them lacking.   And an amp need not be expensive; there are many affordable options.

Have you considered the Audio Technica ATH-M50?  You wouldn't say high end, at this price point but you can definitely run them without an amp and get good sound.  At work I use these all the time playing from my computer, via a Bithead amp/dac and am able to wear them for hours throughout the day.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 18
Thanks for the insight regarding amps. 

It looks like I will have to look at them sooner or later and it seems I will be better off doing it sooner not to waste money on realy good headphones and not get the full potential. 

As for M50s I think ESW10s will blow them out of the water on every level, so that would not be a good option.

Apart from Denons, what else should I take into consideration? ATs W1000/x/5000?

As I said I have no budget limits so if I find anything really good for my tastes I will be ok to spend money.

Quote:
I like the sound of the Denon AH-D2000, but I've not heard it without an amp.  And I'm not sure I would call these fast.  However, these do give a full sound and the listening experience is quite immersive.  Bass is good... although I was listening to these with a dedicated headphone amplifier and that would have helped, no doubt.  Notwithstanding, you could get these on their own and add an amp later if you felt them lacking.   And an amp need not be expensive; there are many affordable options.

Have you considered the Audio Technica ATH-M50?  You wouldn't say high end, at this price point but you can definitely run them without an amp and get good sound.  At work I use these all the time playing from my computer, via a Bithead amp/dac and am able to wear them for hours throughout the day.

Dec 19, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 18
After some more research I think I will go for an LA2000 Lite. It has D7000 cable and is basically a much improved phone for a good price.

Alternatively buy a D5000 and mod it myself - same price probably.

What amp would you guys recommend?

Do I need something big or can I look at stuff like HD-q7 or Corda Stepdance/ Swing?

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #8 of 18
If you go the Denon route, get the J$ pads. I didn't care too much for the damping upgrades, but the earpads were a huge improvement.

I'm probably one of the few people here who has heard the HD-Q7 amp (and I wrote a review: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/511217/review-ortofon-hd-q7). Sonically, I thought it was a good match with the Denons.

The Meier amps are highly regarded on the forums. If you want the portability, the Stepdance is an excellent way to go, and you can purchase a power supply or battery pack for home use. If you intend to leave it purely at home and money is no factor, then you might as well get one of the big amps from Meier. Heck, he has a deal right now where if you buy one of the Beyer headphones you get a free headsix plus 20% off an amp.

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
As I said I have no budget limits so if I find anything really good for my tastes I will be ok to spend money.

If I were you, with enough budget, I will go with current best headphones. These headphones are the end-of-all quest of headfiers at this moment of time. If your going to buy one of these headphones, you will save time, save so many trials, cos these current mighty headphones made some experienced headfiers sold most of their old headphone rigs just to buy one current best! I wish LCD-2 for you at this time! Remember high-end headphones requires headphone amplifiers! Merry Christmas! 

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
 I wish LCD-2 for you at this time! Remember high-end headphones requires headphone amplifiers! Merry Christmas! 

They do sound like real life, a no brainer. 

You could also consider Burson amps in your list. 

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
If you go the Denon route, get the J$ pads. I didn't care too much for the damping upgrades, but the earpads were a huge improvement.

I'm probably one of the few people here who has heard the HD-Q7 amp (and I wrote a review: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/511217/review-ortofon-hd-q7). Sonically, I thought it was a good match with the Denons.

The Meier amps are highly regarded on the forums. If you want the portability, the Stepdance is an excellent way to go, and you can purchase a power supply or battery pack for home use. If you intend to leave it purely at home and money is no factor, then you might as well get one of the big amps from Meier. Heck, he has a deal right now where if you buy one of the Beyer headphones you get a free headsix plus 20% off an amp.

Thanks for the input.  Yes, I have read your HD-Q7 review :). I think I will go the Corda route though, because it is readily available in Europe and can be purchased used too. I would like an amp that can have a portable as well as stationary power source so that I can use it as a home amp when I want to and take it with me when I need to. I live a mobile life never spending too much time anywhere and I would prefer something I can take with me everywhere along with the headphones. 

As for D5000 I keep thinking they have a very good price/ performance ratio and that is why I keep thinking about getting them. I thought about LA2000 and MarkL said that in his opinion they would be better than MD5000 because he can fit the cups for my tastes. I read a few reviews and I have not been impressed though (price is quite different too). Thanks for reminding me about the J$ pads as these can be bought pretty cheap and I would get them for sure to see how they sound with D5000.

I am still just thinking about the whole setup because I am also waiting for a pair of AT CK10s and ESW10s and I will not buy anything else before I get these two, but I want to be ready to buy them when I decide to - it usually is just thinking about something but I always end up buying the stuff :wink:. Your input on ESW10 vs D5000 are welcome too.

Quote:
VALIENTE says:

If I were you, with enough budget, I will go with current best headphones. These headphones are the end-of-all quest of headfiers at this moment of time. If your going to buy one of these headphones, you will save time, save so many trials, cos these current mighty headphones made some experienced headfiers sold most of their old headphone rigs just to buy one current best! I wish LCD-2 for you at this time! Remember high-end headphones requires headphone amplifiers! Merry Christmas! 

I actually looked at them and did some research. They are very interesting and the price is not scary, people report them to be easy to drive too. There is one thing about them that makes them unsuitable for me though; they are open headphones. As I explained in my first post I live near a busy street and buying open headphones would mean cranking the volume up all the time and as we all know it is not good for our ears - ears we music-lovers have to take good care of.

I will have to pass these unfortunately. Maybe in the future when I move somewhere quieter I will consider them.

As for Burson amps I would rather prefer something more portable as explained in my previous posts. I think that I will mostly concentrate on Corda Stepdance as it seems to be the best option ATM. 

Have you guys any other suggestions for me?

To make it easier I would say my listening is composed of 70% Rock/ Metal, 10 Funk, 10% Classical and 10% other Genres.

P.S. I also considered ED8 and T5P to have them as both portable and home phones but not sure if these will be any good for my tastes. ED8 ssems to be very dependent on amping and T5P seems a bit harsh - a brightish amp would help here maybe?

Thanks in advance,
Szadzik

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #14 of 18
So I keep searchingfor a pair of ESW10s and if I cannot find them within a week I think I will have to change my mind and go for something else. 

t50p maybe? I had  pair of ESW9s and I would prefer sonething more detailed than those.

Dec 25, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 18

The t50p are intriguing, but I've heard mixed reviews.

Too bad you can't go with open cans, but I'm puzzled by you saying that you live near a busy street but that you are rarely home. If that's true, the open cans may still be worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back