High End Bluetooth Headphones
Jan 14, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #586 of 894
Originally Posted by Giogio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, I hope Sennheiser does it well with the Urbanite. The world of Bassheads need a wireless option.

If it's bass you want in BT cans, give the JBL SB400BT's a shot. Although I do like bass, I'm not a bass head and found these a bit overwhelming in that dept. Even with the "Bass Reducer" EQ applied on iPod Touch 5G, it was still a bit too much for my liking. 

Looking forward to your Urbanite experiences.

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #587 of 894
  If it's bass you want in BT cans, give the JBL SB400BT's a shot. Although I do like bass, I'm not a bass head and found these a bit overwhelming in that dept. Even with the "Bass Reducer" EQ applied on iPod Touch 5G, it was still a bit too much for my liking. 

Looking forward to your Urbanite experiences.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/750822/new-sennheiser-urbanite-xl-wireless-first-impressions

:)

And, I have tried the S400.
You may want to have a look to my Huge Comparison thread.
I like them more than any other JBL BT Headphone (which is not difficult given that the other are pretty ****ty).
Yes, they have a very good bass.
But not as good as the Fidelio M2BT.

And costing as much as these Sennheiser, they are pure and simple a theft. I think that they and the Beats Studio Wireless are the two more EXTREMELY overpriced Headphones, for what they really offer.

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #588 of 894
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/750822/new-sennheiser-urbanite-xl-wireless-first-impressions

And, I have tried the S400.
You may want to have a look to my Huge Comparison thread.
I like them more than any other JBL BT Headphone (which is not difficult given that the other are pretty ****ty).
Yes, they have a very good bass.
But not as good as the Fidelio M2BT.

And costing as much as these Sennheiser, they are pure and simple a theft. I think that they and the Beats Studio Wireless are the two more EXTREMELY overpriced Headphones, for what they really offer.

Have you tried Scosche Realm RH1060?  From Tyll's review, they sound like exactly what you are looking for.  They are also very reasonably priced and are currently on sale on Amazon for $140.  The Amazon reviews are also favourable.

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #589 of 894

Have you tried Scosche Realm RH1060?  From Tyll's review, they sound like exactly what you are looking for.  They are also very reasonably priced and are currently on sale on Amazon for $140.  The Amazon reviews are also favourable.

Hmmm, I sincerely kind of doubt that they can ever possibly reach the quality of the Sennheiser Urbanite or the Fidelio or the UE9000 or the Plantronics Backbeat Pro. Which are the 4 best BT Headphones among those I have tried.
And the ones with better bass too.
But I thank you for the suggestion, I remember having read that review but for some reason I've not bought them.
Ah, I see why, in EU they cost 240 Euro. I do not think they worth that price. It is like the double of what they cost in US.
Hmmm, ok, I have found a used one in Amazon for the half of that. I may want to give it a try at least to add it to my comparison list.

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #590 of 894

Hmmm, I sincerely kind of doubt that they can ever possibly reach the quality of the Sennheiser Urbanite or the Fidelio or the UE9000 or the Plantronics Backbeat Pro. Which are the 4 best BT Headphones among those I have tried.
And the ones with better bass too.
But I thank you for the suggestion, I remember having read that review but for some reason I've not bought them.
Ah, I see why, in EU they cost 240 Euro. I do not think they worth that price. It is like the double of what they cost in US.
Hmmm, ok, I have found a used one in Amazon for the half of that. I may want to give it a try at least to add it to my comparison list.

The reason I suggested them is because Tyll compared them with headphones costing 2-3 times more (in the US) and they seemed hold their own.  If you like strong bass and can get them at a reasonable price they sound like a good option to give a try.

In regards to Sennheiser, it's interesting that despite leading the market in wireless headphones for years with RF and KLEER (I own a few myself and they are all fantastic at their respective price ranges)  they have underwhelmed so far with their efforts in the bluetooth segment.  I hope the Urbanites change that trend.

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #591 of 894

The reason I suggested them is because Tyll compared them with headphones costing 2-3 times more (in the US) and they seemed hold their own.  If you like strong bass and can get them at a reasonable price they sound like a good option to give a try.

In regards to Sennheiser, it's interesting that despite leading the market in wireless headphones for years with RF and KLEER (I own a few myself and they are all fantastic at their respective price ranges)  they have underwhelmed so far with their efforts in the bluetooth segment.  I hope the Urbanites change that trend.

I like quality bass first. Strong also, when I listen to the right music. That's why I was hoping in the Sony Extra Bass, so that with the push of one button I could pass from normal music to bass heavy music without entering in the EQ.
Unfortunately they have strong but not so quality bass.

I will give the Scosche a try.
After all I just need a second pair with Dubstep/EDM/Techno sound and good range.
If not, I will eventually later on buy the Sony XB when cheaper.

I am sure that the new Urbanite and Momentum will put the BT world in movement... And will give Sennheiser also in BT the place they have in wired.

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #592 of 894
Saw that my local Saturn electronics store seems to have the new Urbanite XL wireless. Although I absolutely do not like the design, after reading your impressions, Giogio, I'm at least curious what they sound like.
Hopefully the Momentum over-ear wireless will be available before the end of the month when it's time for me to take my decision.

My brother listens to a lot of bass heavy electro/drum'n'bass music. After the Samsung Level Over and the Sony MDR-1RBT I also gave him some time with my Plantroncs Backbeat Pro. Those are the first of my new headphones that he really liked. Loud enough and bass heavy. Listening to some of his stuff with these cans is really an experience. :D

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #593 of 894
Yeah, I have taken the decision to reorder the Plantronics to compare them side by side with the Urbanite. I have forgotten how their bass is.
They are also getting pretty damn cheap.
I could end by keeping them after all.

It is a pity that the UE9000 did not come in a second version, lighter and with more functions. I really love their sound. They could have more highs, but I like them so, just a bit EQ and they fly.
In this moment I am listening to the greatest hits of Radiohead. Some songs are a bit bass heavy, especially those from Rainbow.
The Fidelio and the UE are more harmonious and round in their bass, and powerful though.
The Sennheiser are a bit more hard and dark in the bass. I confirm that the upper-lows and low-mids must be negatively EQed.
What I am noticing lately is that the Fidelio do not respond too well to EQ on highs. they become harsh before they can reach the level of highs of the Sennheiser.
But I like how they sound without too much highs. It is also a batter of getting used after a while.

I have spoken today with Sennheiser. The man could not really tell when will the Momentum be available, but he seemed optimist that it could be soon.
I would suggest you to call Saturn, notebookbilliger and redcoon, and ask if they have a date.
Then, keep an eye on Sennheiser shop and amazon and ebay.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #594 of 894
If the prices were similar, between the Plantronics Backbeat Pro and the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2, which would you choose for mostly electronic and rock music? I'm going to be heading to Japan in two weeks, so I'd be able to get the Sony for roughly $260. On the other hand, the Plantronics took a temporary price cut on Amazon to roughly $230.

The Plantronics have a lot of extra-value features that I could see myself using, but seeing as how the Sony used to retail for $300 - $350 and are more focused as music headphones than a headset, I'm wondering if the sound quality gap is significant.

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #595 of 894
Sony recently announced the MDR-1ABT, which are meant to sound better than the MDR-1RBT MK2, and it looks like they'll actually be available in the US. Worth considering before jumping on the 1RBTs, though they'll probably be closer to the original retail price of the 1RBTs.

I've been on the fence for a while between the Backbeat Pro and the MDR-1RBT MK2. I got a good deal on the Samsung Level Over and they're okay, but not spectacular. I was looking into new products and came across the Pendulumic Stance S1+, which are receiving very good reviews. Has anyone used the Stance S1+ and either the Backbeat Pros or the 1RBT MK2s? I'm curious how they stack up.

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #596 of 894
  Sony recently announced the MDR-1ABT, which are meant to sound better than the MDR-1RBT MK2, and it looks like they'll actually be available in the US. Worth considering before jumping on the 1RBTs, though they'll probably be closer to the original retail price of the 1RBTs.
  I've been on the fence for a while between the Backbeat Pro and the MDR-1RBT MK2. I got a good deal on the Samsung Level Over and they're okay, but not spectacular. I was looking into new products and came across the Pendulumic Stance S1+, which are receiving very good reviews. Has anyone used the Stance S1+ and either the Backbeat Pros or the 1RBT MK2s? I'm curious how they stack up.

I do not think the ABT are "meant to sound better than the MK2".
But who knows.

I have tried Samsung and Backbeat. They are completely different. The only thing they have in common is the good soundstage.
Then, the Samsung lack bass and have rolled off highs and boosted mids (but nicely boosted, warm sound, no boxy sound), and the Plantronics have a wonderful (even if not extreme) bass, and much more highs than mids (but not harsh highs), still having enough mids anyway, but a very different sound signature, fresher and more open.
I way more prefer the Backbeat. The only thing the Samsung make better is ANC.

In my "huge Comparison" thread you find Kelleytoons. He tried the four you mention.
You can ask him.
But as far as I understood, he preferred the Plantronics over all the other ones.
The Pendulumic sounded uninteresting to him, the MK2 I do not remember what. And the Samsung he said were ok but, well, he like bass :) So, game over.

Btw, @genjitsu, what make you possibly say that the plantronics are not focused on music???
The fact that they make other things better than the Sony does NOT mean that they make music worse.
AT ALL.
Very simply, there is no other Headphone in the Market at the moment, that makes all what the Backbeat Pro make.
And they make it GOOD.

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #597 of 894

Btw, @genjitsu, what make you possibly say that the plantronics are not focused on music???
The fact that they make other things better than the Sony does NOT mean that they make music worse.
AT ALL.
Very simply, there is no other Headphone in the Market at the moment, that makes all what the Backbeat Pro make.
And they make it GOOD.

Point taken - I was just speculating that while Plantronics worked to make them sound good, the time they spent adding in the other features like the insane battery life, open-mic listening, etc, was time that could've been used to make them sound even better. Whereas Sony presumably focused on the sound quality as much as they could. But I'm not on any of their engineering teams so maybe I'm off the mark.

Anyways, I think you've sold me on the Plantronics - with Prime shipping there's enough time for me to order these and give them a test run before I leave for Japan. If I'm not satisfied I can just pick up the MK2's while I'm there. Thanks for the input!

@orionschmidt - I did see that announcement about that 1ABT, but it's most likely going to be out of my price range.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #598 of 894

Point taken - I was just speculating that while Plantronics worked to make them sound good, the time they spent adding in the other features like the insane battery life, open-mic listening, etc, was time that could've been used to make them sound even better. Whereas Sony presumably focused on the sound quality as much as they could. But I'm not on any of their engineering teams so maybe I'm off the mark.

Anyways, I think you've sold me on the Plantronics - with Prime shipping there's enough time for me to order these and give them a test run before I leave for Japan. If I'm not satisfied I can just pick up the MK2's while I'm there. Thanks for the input!

@orionschmidt - I did see that announcement about that 1ABT, but it's most likely going to be out of my price range.

You do not need to be an engineer. As far as you like how some cans sound, this is the only thing you need to know.

Your plan sounds very good. I would do the same.
I anyway did not compare them two personally.
It is on my wishlist.
So, if you do, let us know :)

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #599 of 894
  I do not think the ABT are "meant to sound better than the MK2".
But who knows.

I am curious to know how you came to this conclusion when all evidence (not to mention common sense) points to the contrary.

MDR-1ABT are the successors to MDR-1RBTMK2, just like the MDR-1A were the successors to the R1. The many first-hand accounts (just check the A1 thread) suggest that the 1A sound better than the 1R, so why would it be different for the wireless versions?  Especially, since Sony's new LDAC compression in the 1A (and the rest of their 2015 range) is meant to provide 'near hi-res' sound over Bluetooth.  Although the verdict is still out on how it compares with AptX.

Aren't the new aluminium coated drivers in the 1ABT specifically "meant to sound better" than those being replaced in the 1RBT & 1RBTMK2?

I have not heard the Plantronics so can't compare it with the MK2 directly but, interestingly, soomal.com recently reviewed the Plantronics and found them lacking in SQ compared to the UE9000.  You can read it using Google Translate.

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #600 of 894
@elektron
There is a bit of acidity in your post or I'm wrong?
1)i did NOT say that I'm sure the 1abt will sound worse than the 1rbtmk2.
I've said they are not MEANT to.
By that I meant that they are NOT successor of the 1rbt as also the 1a are NOT successor of the 1r.
They are a different line.
If they're going to sound better it's not possible to say it without testing them. And also, better is often a subjective matter of tastes.
2) maybe the aluminum thing is better. If this will make THESE headphones better than the other, i don't know.
A huge amount of aptx headphones sound worse than the non aptx Bose Soundlink On Ear. All is relative.
Sound on paper does not exist.
3) Sony started to put this high resolution logo everywhere, even on the old mdr-1rbt mk1 which of high resolution only have the price.
I'll wait for more founded empirical studies and experiences to see if the aptx is still better or not.
Although as said nothing is absolute.
But I'm always open.
If something better comes, I'll try it and see by myself.
4) I've tested enough bt headphones to be relatively objective in my judgment, although I'm not a trained audiophile and a perfect objectivity in these things is never possible.
I've tested both ue9000 and backbeat pro. Both sound very good but objectively the plantronics is more open, detailed, and even more balanced to my ears, better for a larger audience.
I kind of subjectively prefer the ue because they have a deeper fatter bass with more intensity and more rumble, although the plantronics also have a very good bass, maybe cleaner, a bit faster.
The sound signatures are so different, and the quality of both so good, that it is mostly a matter of tastes.
But for what's objective the Plantronics sounded better to me and also have more functions, are low latency, and class 1.
In my thread Huge Comparison there is David who has owned three ue9000 over the years, and switched to Plantronics lately due to my suggestion, and he's very satisfied.
Ask him for his opinion maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back