HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #24,226 of 26,164
That's sooo much cash, holy moly...
Even if you subtract the Elrogs, and they are "only" B's. Most of the people that buy this thing will want to get the MO's or even the TM's.
Standard 6SN7's are also not very enticing, allthough the problem here is probably that there are not that many higher performing new stock tubes compared to the old stuff.
Well, i'm excited to see some pictures and hopefully it will be worth for you @ThanatosVI .
I truly hope there is a shocking difference in sound (which i cannot imagine to be honest) for this price.

Zeos once said: "If i'm paying 12 grand for something it has to blow me away instantly the moment i turn it on, and not "maybe" and "slightly" be better than the old one. Like with an 8k television compared to a very old one."
I’ve always been told that iron costs…how much of a difference it makes I don’t know. But have been told it does.

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #24,227 of 26,164
Even if you subtract the Elrogs, and they are "only" B's. Most of the people that buy this thing will want to get the MO's or even the TM's.
Standard 6SN7's are also not very enticing, allthough the problem here is probably that there are not that many higher performing new stock tubes compared to the old stuff.
Well, i'm excited to see some pictures and hopefully it will be worth for you @ThanatosVI .
I truly hope there is a shocking difference in sound (which i cannot imagine to be honest) for this price.

Zeos once said: "If i'm paying 12 grand for something it has to blow me away instantly the moment i turn it on, and not "maybe" and "slightly" be better than the old one. Like with an 8k television compared to a very old one."
I have a lot of trust in the Feliks guys. I'm sure the upgrade will be worth it.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #24,228 of 26,164
how much is it in the USA?

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #24,229 of 26,164

But gif many people the small gains are worth the outlay. Or the pride of ownership, the joy of the limited edition exclusiveness. I’m the end, how many of us a truely “sound is all that matters”? I’d say a very small percentage. The feel, colour, design…

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #24,230 of 26,164
Mar 2, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #24,231 of 26,164
I am very happy with my envy with WE300b upgraded tubes..18k hard pass lol

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #24,232 of 26,164
But gif many people the small gains are worth the outlay. Or the pride of ownership, the joy of the limited edition exclusiveness. I’m the end, how many of us a truely “sound is all that matters”? I’d say a very small percentage. The feel, colour, design…
My goal is to see if I can get close to that SQ with much less expense, until (and if) I am satisfied, and then never under any circumstances actually listen to something that costs that much.

When we were buying a house we made it a rule never to look at houses way outside our price bracket. Once you’d seen them you couldn’t ’un-see’ them. Same here I think.

I’m one of the ‘older Susvara crowd’ (in terms of hanger’s around on this thread) who believes that a good tube pre (or a good enough pre with good tubes) and a good speaker amp will get me most of the way there. Maybe riskier—- maybe that’s why cheaper.

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #24,233 of 26,164
Selling my susvara and oor stack I think as I need funds for a home project. Thinking of what comes next and it’s a bit depressing because of how good things sound together synergistically.

Anything else good out there now that even comes close for less $?

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #24,234 of 26,164
My goal is to see if I can get close to that SQ with much less expense, until (and if) I am satisfied, and then never under any circumstances actually listen to something that costs that much.

When we were buying a house we made it a rule never to look at houses way outside our price bracket. Once you’d seen them you couldn’t ’un-see’ them. Same here I think.

I’m one of the ‘older Susvara crowd’ (in terms of hanger’s around on this thread) who believes that a good tube pre (or a good enough pre with good tubes) and a good speaker amp will get me most of the way there. Maybe riskier—- maybe that’s why cheaper.
Indeed, many ways to achieve great outcomes. For me it’s about balance between source, DAC, amp and headphones. What use is Susvara if you’re only accessing 80% of its performance? You might as well have a headphone that’s 90% of its performance driven well to its peek. Likewise owning a WeissDAC501 if all you have to listen through is an original Sennheiser Momentum on-ear.

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #24,235 of 26,164
Selling my susvara and oor stack I think as I need funds for a home project. Thinking of what comes next and it’s a bit depressing because of how good things sound together synergistically.

Anything else good out there now that even comes close for less $?
Tungsten DS is 2K USD, but it’s a long wait. I’d keep the Oor since it works well with many headphones. I can’t think of anything cheaper though at the moment. Maybe a used Soncoz SGP1, it’s discontinued at the moment.

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #24,236 of 26,164

I do think many care way more about just being able to have the items, the look, the feel... I can at least say on my end that I'm totally all for differences that for me are worth outlaying the cash, regardless of what level of premium I'm paying. This is also why 90% of my purchases are of headphones rather than dacs and amps, as the differences are far higher and immediately noticeable. Doesn't mean that dacs and amps aren't important but for me, I just need to have solid, good performing gear and set and forget them for the most part. I don't spend a lot of time/money on comparing/rolling them, as that money goes further with headphone upgrades.

Although I'm at the endpoint of my journey really, in which it makes more sense for me to start evaluating and optimizing more upstream, which is something I'm starting to do more of.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #24,237 of 26,164
Talking of Envy, any consensus on Ha-300 Mk.2 vs Envy for daily use? I realize that Ha-300 Mk.2 is bascally half the price, but I heard many fun stories about hiss, blowing up fuse, dying Elrogs and so on. So bit hesitant to what focus on with the next BIG upgrade.

Would be interesting to hear how much better both amps are than Bliss, especially with Susvara.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #24,238 of 26,164
Indeed, many ways to achieve great outcomes. For me it’s about balance between source, DAC, amp and headphones. What use is Susvara if you’re only accessing 80% of its performance? You might as well have a headphone that’s 90% of its performance driven well to its peek. Likewise owning a WeissDAC501 if all you have to listen through is an original Sennheiser Momentum on-ear.
well i'm not sure how much of the susvara's performance i was accessing (how do you even quantify that?) but i liked what i heard

Mar 2, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #24,239 of 26,164
well i'm not sure how much of the susvara's performance i was accessing (how do you even quantify that?) but i liked what i heard
I suppose you’d have to and listen to it on TOTL everything and make a judgement in your own mind? But as I said in another post, there are lots of reasons other than just sound that people make decisions on. Sound has to do it for you, but if you hate the looks, or it’s way too uncomfortable…

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #24,240 of 26,164
I suppose you’d have to and listen to it on TOTL everything and make a judgement in your own mind? But as I said in another post, there are lots of reasons other than just sound that people make decisions on. Sound has to do it for you, but if you hate the looks, or it’s way too uncomfortable…
that isn't a realistic option for me at least. but even if i were to try the susvara with a variety of totl gear, i doubt that i could quantify the differences in performance in a meaningful way. what you might regard as 80% of the susvara's potential could be more like 95% to me - it's so subjective. and how do you come up with a percentage figure without knowing the susvara's optimum level of performance? i took your other post to be referring to sound performance rather than other considerations like looks or comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back