HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 5, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #20,071 of 26,433
The purchase order for me was Denon AH-D1000 -> Sennheiser IE-80 -> Sennheiser HD800 -> Hifiman HE-400i -> Sony MDR-Z1R -> Hifiman HE6SEv2 -> Softears Cerberus -> Focal Utopia - > Hifiman Susvara. However, HE6SEv2 was special in a sense that it was the first headphone I had sold that I really missed. I didn't love the comfort side of things and back then my ears were not ready for that level of realism, but after spending some time with Utopia I started to miss that sound. I was reading that Susvara was "technically better HE6SEv2" with better comfort so I pulled the trigger. Haven't watched back since.

I warmly recommend HE6SEv2 for anyone who is considering Susvara, but would like to live with it first before deciding. If after 3m you think it's not for you, Susvara most likely won't be either. However if you continue liking what you hear, you may want to try Susvara. Or you may be like me that you think that it's not for you, you sell HE6SEv2, but then you realize that it actually was quite special. There are also people who keep both.

I too sold the HE6SEv2 after getting the Susvara, and share your impressions.

I'm so tempted to get these just because... That price is nuts

Many folks who have that headphone miss on its potential because naturally, at its price point, consumers don’t often have or can justify a powerful amp to drive it. But while it’s nowhere near Susvara insensitivity, it does need good power and it scales. And when it does, it’s really a wonderful headphone. Tremendous value to price.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #20,072 of 26,433
I'm so tempted to get these just because... That price is nuts

Yup, 70% off the retail price and listing at the official store form the perfect opportunity to get that train going.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 5, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #20,073 of 26,433
Yup, 70% off the retail price and listing at the official store form the perfect opportunity to get that train going.

They are always available around $600. Been this way for two years. Always promotions, discounts, etc. Their nominal price was always for show.

Feb 5, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #20,074 of 26,433
Feb 5, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #20,075 of 26,433
Feb 5, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #20,076 of 26,433
Feb 5, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #20,077 of 26,433
Ok, I have a serious question here and would like some advice please.
Susvara have not arrived yet. In the meantime I have a Benchmark AHB2 sitting here waiting for it.
So, regarding running the Susvara from a speaker amp, does anyone unplug their Susvara before powering on or powering off their amplifier? Or do you always leave your Susvara plugged into your amplifier?
If so, I assume this would be easier if I had a banana to female XLR adapter and unplugged it that way. My initial plan was to have Matt at Forza make me a continuous cable with bananas on the amplifier end. If bananas are used, I don't want to risk shorting something out by connecting and disconnecting.

I have to straighten this out before the Susvara get here.
So? How do you like Benchmark?

Feb 5, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #20,079 of 26,433
I am very happy to hear that you are happy with your amplifier. I mean it! I was also happy with my Master 9 until I tried even better amps 5 years ago.

Sound quality is somewhat subjective so two people can listen to the exact same audio system and come to quite different conclusions about how good it sounds. The most important thing is that you think it sounds good.
What amp is better than agd to you, in the same price range or maybe over?
-Im curious

And how do you like the DI20HE so far? For me its the whole secret sauce of my AGD setup

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #20,080 of 26,433
Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #20,081 of 26,433
Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #20,082 of 26,433
Has anyone tried their Susvaras with higher power speaker SET amps. I have a Line Magnetic 508ia amplifier, and was looking to pair it with these headphones using the speaker taps. The amp puts out 48W. Any actual experiences, or extrapolations from similar pairing will be appreciated.

Feb 6, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #20,083 of 26,433
gee, I mean pretty much the entire susvara section is dedicated to proper amps,power and speaker vs headphone amps

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #20,085 of 26,433
I'm pretty new to the Susvara gang, hi.

So I just received my EF-400 and Susvaras today and I've been listening to music for the last 5 hours straight after work.
I have my A90 Discrete coming soon so I'm excited to see how that fairs but that won't be for a few more months.
I haven't burned in either yet but the initial listening impression is that the soundstage isn't as wide or deep as my HEK v2s.
The timbre is so real, my HEK v2 I loved but definitely has a more artificial sound to them. Can't find the proper word for them.

I'm not sure if I have a speaker amp to play around with in the future but I'm thinking of getting the iFi iCan Signature for the extra "spacial audio" and X-Bass effect, granted if they get a bit cheaper in Canada or a new TOTL comes out.

I was thinking of the AHB2 if I was going to get a speaker amp but does it actually make the dynamics hit harder or is it a perceived bump due to the dB increase overall?
If the dB levels were matched with the iCan Signature and the AHB2, will the AHB2 hit harder and have a wider soundstage? (All the perceived goodness of speaker amps).

Edit:
Pictures are fun.
329682939_1212776189445838_655896183770686144_n.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back