HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Jul 21, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #256 of 1,984
Heard it today at Canjam, beautiful size, form and design, feels great in the hand, superb audio, but not sure it's much better than 901s.
price is absurd
interface is from 1988, I swear it's worse than my old 601.
ps the guy doing HIFMAN UK is great.
Fang needs to start listening, only a few would put up with that display.
37611858_10157707732832576_5385265849558892544_n.jpg

Does he follow and believe int “it sounds good” ?

Thanks for the good picture, any impressions ?

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #258 of 1,984
Heard it today at Canjam, beautiful size, form and design, feels great in the hand, superb audio, but not sure it's much better than 901s.
price is absurd
interface is from 1988, I swear it's worse than my old 601.
ps the guy doing HIFMAN UK is great.
Fang needs to start listening, only a few would put up with that display.
37611858_10157707732832576_5385265849558892544_n.jpg
So it isn´t even possible to show the album art?

Jul 22, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #261 of 1,984
I don't mind the lack of colours or artwork etc, I appreciate that getting the sound right is priority number one, but if you are
going to have a text only screen at least get the layout right, fonts consistant etc. It can look better, at the moment this reminds me of
a Hisound Nova dap or a Commodore 64. I get this is aimed at the no frills Terra customer, but just how big is that dap market?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #262 of 1,984
I can't confirm if the 3.5mm socket is balanced on the R2R2000, but it is possible to configure a 3.5mm connection to work balanced and unbalanced, look at the iFi Audio range to see how this is done.

It actually makes good sense to configure all sockets to balanced operation too, after all the extra components are already there, its simply a case of connecting the sockets in parallel,

R2R2000's 3.5mm output can be set to single-ended or balanced mode via a menu setting.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #264 of 1,984
I've got a good amount to feedback to give on this DAP once I get back home today
ps: I loved its sound tremendously. and its interface is tremendously stupid too

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #266 of 1,984
I don't mind the lack of colours or artwork etc, I appreciate that getting the sound right is priority number one, but if you are
going to have a text only screen at least get the layout right, fonts consistant etc. It can look better, at the moment this reminds me of
a Hisound Nova dap or a Commodore 64. I get this is aimed at the no frills Terra customer, but just how big is that dap market?

Agreed. For $2,500, the UI should be consistent. Reminds me when I owned a Colorfly C4 Pro ... great sound, horrible UI and lack of expected functionality, e.g., 16 bit FLAC support only.

I don’t mind a utilitarian display and interface as long as it’s professionally done. I’m more interested in how it sounds.

Firmware upgrade should take care of the UI anomalies.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #267 of 1,984
Very interesting DAP. How does it manage operating temperature stabilization? Every R2R DAC I've considered or owned requires hours if not days to reach stable temp and once it does, it is a no-no to power off. My experience is 100% desktop DACs though. It is my understanding that R2R does not suffer from jitter like DS, but temperature fluctuations cause distortion for R2R.

As @Mimouille mentioned the "raw" sound impression. That's similar to what went through my head when I first listened to my current R2R DAC and would love to have the same in a small portable package.

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #268 of 1,984
Very interesting DAP. How does it manage operating temperature stabilization? Every R2R DAC I've considered or owned requires hours if not days to reach stable temp and once it does, it is a no-no to power off. My experience is 100% desktop DACs though. It is my understanding that R2R does not suffer from jitter like DS, but temperature fluctuations cause distortion for R2R.

As @Mimouille mentioned the "raw" sound impression. That's similar to what went through my head when I first listened to my current R2R DAC and would love to have the same in a small portable package.

I was wondering the same.

My dac1101 (resistor ladder; transportable) needs a couple hours warm-up but not sure about a portable with old R2R chips.

Was hoping to find out for myself but the R2R2000's price is prohibitive. Searching for other options but not many choices (Tera Player?) and seems no affordable R2R DAPs exist.

Jul 24, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #270 of 1,984
I don't know about R2R DACs but Tera Player stays cold no how long you use it 10--15 hours non stop.The old Hifiman 801 used R2R right? The choice for such portable music players is very limited.

The temp question is not about how hot/cool it runs, but rather keeping the R2R DAC chips at a constant temp while in operation. Resistors value changes with temps changes (e.g. drift) and even minute changes in resistor value for an R2R ladder have negative impact on digital to analog conversion. Perhaps the TI integrated chip compensates temperature changes but it would be good to know for sure since portable use will have a pretty wide and frequent change in operating temps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back