Hifiman RE600 vs RE400 Tour Thread
Jul 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

Inks

An expert on his own opinion.
 While many were anticipating the new Hifiman flagship (including myself), many had it's doubts it will be that much better than the previously released RE400 or even the older RE272, but I will admit I was still optimistic. Then upon release of the InnerFidelity graphs and 
Acoustic engineer I know through a 3rd party informed me it's the same diaphragm but different coil

, it simply didn't seem like the value was right IMO, despite the company saying otherwise. 

Luckily, James444 was kind enough to loan his pair to Rin. Who released his analysis which confirmed Tyll's. To add to it, it seems the RE400 is the more versatile of the two as it can closely match the RE600 upon damping the nozzle. To see into the matter, we decided to take it further. 

All that has been said about the graphs have been settled, now I hope to get some listening impressions in. We have decided to start a tour of this RE600, which any user can apply to if met with these requirements [Please don't PM if you don't meet these]

1. Either good trader feedback here (more than 5+) or reference from a user either I or James444 know personally. 
  2. MUST be a RE400 owner
  3. Will ship via insurance
  4. MUST post listening impressions comparing the two

CONUS/Canada users only, European users may PM James for an opportunity. I hope to borrow a RE400 in hand as well and post a guide as to how to damp it to match the RE600, a method which every user will be suggested to do [but not required]. It simply requires adding a cloth [provided by Rin], in the middle of it's nozzle. 

Here is the user list so far

(click on links for impressions)
CONUS
oneoseven
jgwtriode
modulor

Canada
Zida
Monogylcer

EU:
Sweden
Proedros

Hope this all works well and I am glad I can give back to this community by organizing the tour. Of course, this is all sponsored by James444 an amazing user who is not only generous but kind and open minded as well :)

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 96
i am living in europe and i think i am fine with the requirements (i have a +8 good trader feedback)

who should i pm ?

i am residing in London,UK / Athens , Greece

cheers

Jul 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 96
that's good to hear - thanx to both of you for organizing this tour

cheers :)

Quote:
Proedros, You have been accepted.

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 96
I have a RE400 to compare to at the moment. I may have a double-blind test be taped which will be conducted by Rin, [RE400 with damper vs RE600]. Me and another subject will be the listeners, still being planned out and may not occur, but we are hopeful as many will enjoy seeing it. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 96
Actually Rin will have the test set-up, me and another guy will be the blinded ones. Though we can also turn the tables and have him blind too at one point lol

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 96
Just joking, looking forward to this if it works out. Just don't drop my RE600 and step on it while you're all blinded, lol.
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #15 of 96
Looking forward to it....am currently tuning my monoprice's and am in shock!. Just found an improved open cell foam I am using under the hankie filters.

The bass and dynamics are unbelievable as are a few other things...but I will bite my tongue until I have done some comparative listening including the 600''s

Thanks again for the opportunity!

Very Happy Listening

jgwtriode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back