Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Dec 5, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #271 of 862
3rd day i have them , and the sound just keeps on smoothing out thank god

1st day , these sounded really bad
2nd , they were tolerable

today ,they start to sound like true hifiman products

considering they are stil on the 20-hr mark , i expect the sound to get even better

I am using dweaver's burn in files btw to bring out some more treble peak , the bass has stopped being almost boomy and is settling in

Still i can not say great things , but compared to day 1 these are very,very,very improved...patience then until they have reached their full potential

anyone else had the same sound-turnaround the first few days ?

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #272 of 862

Quote:
Well I had five glorious days with my re262 and hm-602 but today the right earpiece on the re262 stopped working.
angry_face.gif

I bought one off a fellow head-fier and it lasted all of 7 days. Not too happy abut that. Waiting to see what Head-Fi will say since it's obviously still under warranty since it's just been released recently.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #273 of 862

what happened to yours ?

i am 4 days behind you
ph34r.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Well I had five glorious days with my re262 and hm-602 but today the right earpiece on the re262 stopped working.
angry_face.gif

I bought one off a fellow head-fier and it lasted all of 7 days. Not too happy abut that. Waiting to see what Head-Fi will say since it's obviously still under warranty since it's just been released recently.

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #274 of 862
Being a dynamic driver, these do need a little bit of breaking in.  As well, the high ohm and high linear throw that these drivers have, it takes an amp and a good bit of driver to really loosen these up.

I don't know what the failure issue is.  I got my from Hero Kid, demoed then purchased.  I've had them for a month or so and used a lot, zero problems.  The cord is thicker and feels more durable than the other RE earphones.  The build is obviously budget oriented like the compression fit metal nozzle.  The level of physical refinement isn't there, but that's never really been the goal of these earphones.  However, the cable is the best of the RE line, and is competent among many other high end earphones.  It's pretty obvious that sound is the sole concern though, and structural engineering may be a weak point.  The driver in the RE262 is a god among dynamic IEMs.  It's just a super low distortion driver and a very efficient design (for 150ohms and rated 95dB sensitivity(sounds pretty conservative)) with a lot of linear throw.  This driver is good in epic proportions.  I can't really stress this enough.  It reminds me of high end home audio drivers in it's capability.  Because of how good the driver itself is, I can't really see the driver just up and failing on you.  My guess is it might have been just a poor soldering job on a connection somewhere.  For something that I could still call a prototype (not publicly offered alone yet), it's likely that those manufacturing/assembling it aren't getting everything perfect yet.  I do think that Head Direct would very happily swap a bad pair for a new one, so there isn't much of an issue.

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #275 of 862
right on

how is your 262 , when paired with your amp ?

Quote:
Being a dynamic driver, these do need a little bit of breaking in.  As well, the high ohm and high linear throw that these drivers have, it takes an amp and a good bit of driver to really loosen these up.

I don't know what the failure issue is.  I got my from Hero Kid, demoed then purchased.  I've had them for a month or so and used a lot, zero problems.  The cord is thicker and feels more durable than the other RE earphones.  The build is obviously budget oriented like the compression fit metal nozzle.  The level of physical refinement isn't there, but that's never really been the goal of these earphones.  However, the cable is the best of the RE line, and is competent among many other high end earphones.  It's pretty obvious that sound is the sole concern though, and structural engineering may be a weak point.  The driver in the RE262 is a god among dynamic IEMs.  It's just a super low distortion driver and a very efficient design (for 150ohms and rated 95dB sensitivity(sounds pretty conservative)) with a lot of linear throw.  This driver is good in epic proportions.  I can't really stress this enough.  It reminds me of high end home audio drivers in it's capability.  Because of how good the driver itself is, I can't really see the driver just up and failing on you.  My guess is it might have been just a poor soldering job on a connection somewhere.  For something that I could still call a prototype (not publicly offered alone yet), it's likely that those manufacturing/assembling it aren't getting everything perfect yet.  I do think that Head Direct would very happily swap a bad pair for a new one, so there isn't much of an issue.

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #276 of 862
These failures are pretty concerning.

I don't have the same background as Proedros as I've never heard any other Hifiman products so I have a bit of a different take on the 262s.  I'm coming from mainly V-shaped IEMS - Klipsch S4s and Triple.Fi 10s and these RE-262s have so far been a much needed relief.  

The verdict so far on these have been accurate, they definitely have forward, and beautiful, mids - nothing more to add on that.  But what hasn't been pressed is how very tactfully and harmoniously the rest of the frequency range is presented.  Everything in the low range is accurate and detailed.  The bass doesn't have the bite or sheer impact of my S4s had but they make up for that with low-range detail the S4s could never touch & impressive soundstage (for IEMs).  Upper bass is very well done, (as in I don't think I could want more from upper bass.)  Like I've read about other Hifiman products, the 262s don't hit you in the face with how good they sound, it takes a little bit of time to sink in on you.  I'm hoping the 262s improve the highs with about ~30 more hours of burn in (so far they're at 30-40).  More treble detail would be nice: it could add some airiness, improving already captivating vocals.  

Being warm, these monitors have no sibilance to speak of, no listening fatigue so far, I've fallen asleep with them a few times.

I've been using the stock large bi-flanges and isolation is a 3.5/5.  I've some Comply T400s en-route and they might help, although I won't use them if the already teetering treble is lost to the foam.

So far I've been listening FLAC from my MBP - should have my S:flo2 in two or three weeks and I'm hoping they're enough to take these things to the next level.

Also: Head-direct replied to my query about the different shape of my plug.  Here's what they had to say:

"This is the plug for RE262 production version. Much less defective rate than normal plug."

So it seems like the new plugs are just a result of a  last minute change in production.

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #277 of 862
Don't get me wrong , i really love the hifiman products (zero/252/262 bought in a 3-month span) that's why i am waiting for the 262 to show themselves to me (i only have them 3 days)

In fact , every passing day the 262 gets better and better and already the zeros sound a bit too much trembly for me

If experienced members here like joker/wmv2/mark2410/clieos speak so high og them , then i am good to go

the sound is like i expected to be , that's why i went ahead and bought them

all is well

as for the 2nd bold (much less defective) let's hope this doesn't stand true in the near future and all 262 batches are good and solid.

and if any good person here has paired the 262 with the hs arrow , please let us know how this pairing works

Quote:
These failures are pretty concerning.

I don't have the same background as Proedros as I've never heard any other Hifiman products so I have a bit of a different take on the 262s.  I'm coming from mainly V-shaped IEMS - Klipsch S4s and Triple.Fi 10s and these RE-262s have so far been a much needed relief.  

The verdict so far on these have been accurate, they definitely have forward, and beautiful, mids - nothing more to add on that.  But what hasn't been pressed is how very tactfully and harmoniously the rest of the frequency range is presented.  Everything in the low range is accurate and detailed.  The bass doesn't have the bite or sheer impact of my S4s had but they make up for that with low-range detail the S4s could never touch & impressive soundstage (for IEMs).  Upper bass is very well done, (as in I don't think I could want more from upper bass well done.)  Like I've read about other Hifiman products, the 262s don't hit you in the face with how good they sound, it takes a little bit of time to sink in on you.  I'm hoping the 262s improve the highs with about ~30 more hours of burn in (so far they're at 30-40).  More treble detail would be nice: it could add some airiness, improving already captivating vocals.  

Being warm, these monitors have no sibilance to speak of, no listening fatigue so far, I've fallen asleep with them a few times.

I've been using the stock large bi-flanges and isolation is a 3.5/5.  I've some Comply T400s en-route and they might help, although I won't use them if the already teetering treble is lost to the foam.

So far I've been listening FLAC from my MBP - should have my S:flo2 in two or three weeks and I'm hoping they're enough to take these things to the next level.

Also: Head-direct replied to my query about the different shape of my plug.  Here's what they had to say:

"This is the plug for RE262 production version. Much less defective rate than normal plug."

So it seems like the new plugs are just a result of a  last minute change in production.

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #278 of 862
^^ i thought i heard some distortions when i moved the  L-jack in the first hour of my trial with Them  ...but am now 2 weeks deep, no problem since then ! :) the build is surely better thn other REs ....but it could have been better. At least they are providing warranty !

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #279 of 862
I really love these headphones. For me they are best universals I heard.  I wear them over the ear swaped, much better comfort and sound, but sometimes it is just simply weird to hear music on oposite sides.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 5, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #280 of 862
Quote:
I really love these headphones. For me they are best universals I heard.  I wear them over the ear swaped, much better comfort and sound, but sometimes it is just simply weird to hear music on oposite sides.

I wear them straight down, the positioning of the "horn" seems too awkward in the over-ear configuration.  I find I get the best seal by tucking the "horn" into my ear's antihelix.  Is the horn supposed to be a port?  Am I blocking them off the way I wear them?

Bina, do you find any difference in sound over ear / straight down (assuming you're also tucking in the "horn")?

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #281 of 862

Quote:
what happened to yours ?

i am 4 days behind you
ph34r.gif

Quote:
Quote:
angry_face.gif

Right driver went dead.

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #283 of 862
I'm curious... anybody know when is the 262 going to show up at the Head-direct store?

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #284 of 862
I wear them straight down , cause behind the ear seems to weaken the sound..maybe i am putting it wrong ?

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #285 of 862
Tried the T-400s.  Degrades sound stage & treble.  Isolation improved considerably but trade offs aren't worth it.  I felt the comply's muddied the bass a bit too.

I'll be sticking with the stock biflanges & saving some money in the process.  

So far the 262s have not been great outside, in a quiet environment they are really enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back