Hifiman RE-800
Aug 5, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #241 of 271
This was a stellar review, and based on it (and the fact that HIFIMAN has now reduced the price to $99 USD) I have ordered, can’t wait to hear. If they are half as good as you say it’s a veritable steal! Thanks
Also taking on board the importance of burn-in- no impressions till 100 hours of use (from me) - is this a DD thing?

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #242 of 271
how is re800 compared to re-600 ?

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #243 of 271
I love RE800, bought a set on Amazon about 2 months ago for around €125 - excellent single DD, I've been tempted to buy another set to have in back-up!

Aug 28, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #245 of 271
I love RE800, bought a set on Amazon about 2 months ago for around €125 - excellent single DD, I've been tempted to buy another set to have in back-up!
Currently $99 USD on Hifiman website but regular $599 - thinking they may sell out soon, as they are starting to show up at $599 again on some other sites…it is the deal of the decade.

Aug 28, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #246 of 271
Is it due to the cable being not replaceable? I have been toying with the idea of buying a spare too for quite some time.

Yes exactly, just in case

Apr 17, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #247 of 271
Very informative impressions, harry. I have had several RE-600s, one of my favorite IEMs of all time. I found the RE-800s on Amazon for $99, so I ordered a set (currently on the way). What tips do you prefer? I have heard that foamies tame the highs a little, but not sure if the 'silver' has been re-tuned to minimize harshness..

loved the RE-600 when i had them , how is re800 compared to them ?

Nov 1, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #248 of 271
Hey guys. I recently bought an RE-800 Silver for 100€ from Hifiman's web page.
All in all they seem to be pretty nice, if a bit muted for my taste.
However, the driver flex is absolutely horrible on mine!
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to negate this? I'm using JVC Spiral Dot tips and I noticed the microscopic vent tunnel is quite close to the IEM's funnel. So I'm thinking, maybe the tips are restricting the airflow of the driver?

Nov 1, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #249 of 271
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to negate this? I'm using JVC Spiral Dot tips and I noticed the microscopic vent tunnel is quite close to the IEM's funnel. So I'm thinking, maybe the tips are restricting the airflow of the driver?

That's one of the downsides of RE800. Some eartips cause very high ear pressure and short stem tips usually work better.

Another better option is to use those tips with pressure venting features like Velvet tips or Tang Sancai. I'd recommend Velvet in the case of RE800.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #250 of 271
That's one of the downsides of RE800. Some eartips cause very high ear pressure and short stem tips usually work better.

Another better option is to use those tips with pressure venting features like Velvet tips or Tang Sancai. I'd recommend Velvet in the case of RE800.
Thank you, I will check these out :pray:

Nov 2, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #251 of 271
Thank you, I will check these out :pray:
I’m sorry you’ve had this experience. I found using the stock tips deeply inserted that I got a great seal, great bass impact and texture and did not encounter treble peakiness BUT the driver flex is a real issue. I don’t think it impacts SQ during playback unless you reposition the IEMS. My only concern with these is that the required insertion to achieve the best seal is VERY deep, and if the tip slides off the IEM it’s going to be impossible to remove without audiological or other medical help to do so. I’ve never had this happen, has anyone else on this thread? I think the risk is low but not 0% probability.

Nov 3, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #252 of 271

Do you mean these?
https://www.mtmtaudio.com/en-ee/pro...-eartips-black-5-sizes?variant=44641167606066

@
I’m sorry you’ve had this experience. I found using the stock tips deeply inserted that I got a great seal, great bass impact and texture and did not encounter treble peakiness BUT the driver flex is a real issue. I don’t think it impacts SQ during playback unless you reposition the IEMS. My only concern with these is that the required insertion to achieve the best seal is VERY deep, and if the tip slides off the IEM it’s going to be impossible to remove without audiological or other medical help to do so. I’ve never had this happen, has anyone else on this thread? I think the risk is low but not 0% probability.
I've had that happen a few times with Spiral Dots. It's usually not a very serious issue as the tip will at least partially be far enough out of the ear canal that small pliers or a toothpick is sufficient to remove it.

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #253 of 271

It really is a shame. I quite like the RE800, more than some much more expensive IEMs(especially for $100), but BOTH sets I've owned had TERRIBLE driver flex. Foam tips help, but I don't like using foam so I just stopped using the 800. I probably won't get a Hifiman IEM again; even their new flagship Svanar or whatever it's called has some questionable build issues being reported in its thread.

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #254 of 271
It really is a shame. I quite like the RE800, more than some much more expensive IEMs(especially for $100), but BOTH sets I've owned had TERRIBLE driver flex. Foam tips help, but I don't like using foam so I just stopped using the 800. I probably won't get a Hifiman IEM again; even their new flagship Svanar or whatever it's called has some questionable build issues being reported in its thread.
Indeed.. rather mind boggling that they would design it to be this flimsy. I quite like them aside from that but it's seriously restricting my user experience :/
I ordered a couple of shallow depth tips, will see how or if they make a difference and report back

Nov 9, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #255 of 271
Indeed.. rather mind boggling that they would design it to be this flimsy. I quite like them aside from that but it's seriously restricting my user experience :/
I ordered a couple of shallow depth tips, will see how or if they make a difference and report back
I agree that the driver flex issue is real. I have not found, however, once I had the IEMs settled in place in my ear canals (I find the stock rounded silicone ones best for deep insertion, and they are quite comfortable - much more than Etymotics if just as deep to get the best SQ) that it impacted the excellent FR and technicalities of these little gems. Fitment has been the bane of my IEM journey- I am still struggling with the U12Ts on that score after having them a year. Not these. Once I have them in the right position (yes driver flex is involved to get there) the soundstage opens up, the bass impact is there and the angels begin to sing. That I CAN get there with these - whereas I cannot with many others, makes them worth the price for me. YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back