HiFiMAN RE-272 Review
Aug 8, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #46 of 489
Quote:
Very interesting, looking forward to a EX1000 comparison @ Pianist. 

Count me in. I'm all ears.
smile.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #48 of 489

Quote:
When I switch from RE272 to my FX700, the FX700 sounds quite schematic, muddy and strained. RE272 is way more open and articulate.

You've been defending the FX700 for a while as one of the best IEM's ever in [x] deparment, and now it's muddy and strained?

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #49 of 489
Bleh, I was going to order the EX600 soon because I loved how it sounded, and now this?

Btw ClieOS rates the J-phonic as the best universal IEM there is and I can't say I agree with him there.

I already have hyper-detailed and kinda bright headphones so maybe I should just skip the RE272 and get the EX600?

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #50 of 489

Quote:
You've been defending the FX700 for a while as one of the best IEM's ever in [x] deparment, and now it's muddy and strained?

It is all relatively speaking of course.  There is nothing wrong to find a good sounding IEM to be inferior when compared to a better sounding IEM (even if it is only on one aspect). Do you actually have a problem with that?

Quote:
Btw ClieOS rates the J-phonic as the best universal IEM there is and I can't say I agree with him there.

I rate it as the best universal IEM I have heard and reviewed so far. I haven't heard every single IEM in the world. If you don't like it, do tell us why as others might benefit from your experience.

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #51 of 489

Quote:
It is all relatively speaking of course.  There is nothing wrong to find a good sounding IEM to be inferior when compared to a better sounding IEM (even if it is only on one aspect). Do you actually have a problem with that?

Yes, I do that myself, but I thought "muddy and strained" was pretty harsh on one of his favorite IEM's that he's been defending as "more detail than [x] IEM" and so on.

If the FX700 really has become muddy and strained now (relatively) then that is quite a feat of the RE272 but I find it hard to believe so I'm fishing for some more feedback.

Honestly I can't see how the RE272 is going to make the Ety ER-4 sound muddy, I'd like some elaboration =)

Quote:
I rate it as the best universal IEM I have heard and reviewed so far. I haven't heard every single IEM in the world. If you don't like it, do tell us why as others might benefit from your experience.

It is an impressive IEM that's for sure, it's just not the best universal IEM [that I have heard], and yes I intend on posting a small review so others (with the same taste as me and so on) will benefit from not buying a $400 IEM aimed at musicians and monitoring, I have a hard time getting into the music, but I'm just on my first day of proper usage right now, do you get captivated by the J-phonic, Clie?

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #52 of 489

Quote:
Yes, maybe. Or try the 262s instead.

Whatever, It's not all about you, you know.

What's that supposed to mean, I help people out constantly, not like you telling that guy in the other thread he's insane for considering the HM-801 and should get a clip+ that's just silly.

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #55 of 489

Quote:
Yes, I do that myself, but I thought "muddy and strained" was pretty harsh on one of his favorite IEM's that he's been defending as "more detail than [x] IEM" and so on.

If the FX700 really has become muddy and strained now (relatively) then that is quite a feat of the RE272 but I find it hard to believe so I'm fishing for some more feedback.

Honestly I can't see how the RE272 is going to make the Ety ER-4 sound muddy, I'd like some elaboration =)

Pianist used strong words before. It is not what words he had chosen to use today, but I think it is more important to pay attention to his, or in fact any poster's consistency in writing style to get a good idea of the weight of each words, so to speak.

Quote:
It is an impressive IEM that's for sure, it's just not the best universal IEM [that I have heard], and yes I intend on posting a small review so others (with the same taste as me and so on) will benefit from not buying a $400 IEM aimed at musicians and monitoring, I have a hard time getting into the music, but I'm just on my first day of proper usage right now, do you get captivated by the J-phonic, Clie?

Some IEM are trying to be musical, some are trying to be technical. For me, I like to listen to IEM for what it is trying to present to me, or at least, for what I think it is trying to present to me. As a stage monitor, j-phonic is not the captivating type (I think I wrote that in both GR07 and j-phonics review), but I won't belittle an IEM technical ability because it is not designed to be musical. I think there is more than enough room for both kind of IEM to coexist and we don't really have to settle for one (at least I don't want to). Enough for the K2 talk now, let's leave it to your K2 review in the future.

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #56 of 489
Aug 8, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #58 of 489

Quote:
I received my RE272 a couple of days ago and so far I just don't know what to make of their sound. I have never been this confused. I have to say that unfortunately I really don't enjoy them much at all... and yet I haven't heard anything better. It almost feels like they are too good. Too revealing for my DAPs maybe? They have amazing clarity - like that of custom Westone ES3X or even better. They also have amazing detail, but the details are not sharp - they sound washed out. I can hear lots of information I never thought was there in my music, but it's not rich in texture and sounds kind of bland and also blurry so I can't pin point where the sounds are coming from in the soundstage. Yet on the macro level the imaging is very good - vocals and all other instruments are placed with excellent precision. It's the micro detail and lacks focus. Then again, I've only listened to the RE272 through my portable DAPs so far, mainly my rockboxed Clip and I am aware that these sources are far from hi-fi especially in regards to detail resolution. Unfortunately, my Audigy 2 ZS died recently and I don't have a decent source to plug the IEMs into.

Frequency extension high and low is fantastic, especially in the bass. The RE272 goes really, really low and with great authority. With some tips, the bass can sound a little muddy - again, this may be the issue with my low-fi sources - but is otherwise exceptional with incredible resolution, depth, speed and precision that rivals the best balanced armature IEMs or even Orthodynamics. Mids are crystal clear and sound exceptionally realistic with amazing detail and yet zero harshness, seamless transients, and great coherency, reminding me of Fostex T50RP orthodynamics. All is good, except for the blurry micro detail which unfortunately is a huge issue for me and compromises all other great qualities that these IEMs have to offer. The highs are extremely detailed and nearly perfect in quantity although slightly emphasized which can make the IEMs sound a bit too bright with some music at high volume levels. Soundstage is not big, but it sounds very realistic - there are no three blobs in the head at all with these IEMs - they sound completely transparent. There is no clear left, right and middle images - everything sounds like one whole. Like Mark wrote in his review, music just seems to come into existence through these on its own and it doesn't feel like the drivers are creating the sound.

Overall, the sound of RE272 is nothing like most other IEMs and headphones I heard. They sound very little like dynamic drivers - they are much faster, clearer and more transparent than most. They definitely rival BA drivers in clarity and speed with a similar clean, dry presentation of really good BAs, except that they are at least as fast and clear as the best of them. The closest sounding headphones to RE272 that come to my mind right now are: Westone ES3X in the bass - RE272 has a very similar character to the ES3X down there: very deep, extremely clean, dry and clear and hard hitting in an odd way without much impact but with a full, thick note; Fostex T50RP in the mids - RE272 has a very similar clarity level and similar realistic timbre that makes many vocals and other real instruments jump out with uncanny realism, but RE272 has a much higher detail resolution than T50RP IMO. The highs remind me a bit of AKG K271 - soft and refined with zero harshness and yet plenty of detail and extension, but RE272 is more detailed. The highs are very different from those on RE0, ER4 or DBA-02: RE272 sounds softer than those and yet is more detailed.

I wonder if resolution of RE272 in mids and highs also can compare to custom IEMs like ES3x, ES5, UM Miracle?.

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #59 of 489

Quote:
that 45 angled plug is too thick. dont you find it annoying?

A little, yes. The plug are over-molded, probably to increase its strength. I really don't mind the thickness, just how it is molded. If they can make the metal plug just a few mm more protruded from the rubber base, I would be more than happy. Alternatively, they can shave off just a little from the rubber base and it will work too.

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #60 of 489

Quote:

A little, yes. The plug are over-molded, probably to increase its strength. I really don't mind the thickness, just how it is molded. If they can make the metal plug just a few mm more protruded from the rubber base, I would be more than happy. Alternatively, they can shave off just a little from the rubber base and it will work too.

i agree with you. i got today the RE0 and they have that plug. it cant get up to the end through the clip+ silicone cover . and even w/o the cover it's a bit loose. didnt happen with other earphones. i'll try it a little , and see what happens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back