Hifiman or Grado?
Aug 12, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #76 of 82

Quote:
Hi there Hero,

I actually meant step up from D2000, not RS1 or RS1i. Is D7000 a lot better than its little brothers D5000 or D2000?
This must have been discussed many times before. I should search. :-D
Yesterday I compared the bass between the Denon and Edition9. In terms of impact., the Ultrasone won easily but they both go down deep. I was told the MarkL mod does reduce amount of bass on the Denons so I am not sure if I came to the correct conclusion.
One of my favourite headphones for rock or guitar music is the early version of SR325(black ones). Since I listen to a lot of Rock and Blues they do get used a lot.

Paul

Oh, got it. Yes, the D7000 is that much better than both IMO. The D7000s have deeper bass that is tighter, better defined and controlled. And unlike the D5000 (which is also very nice), the bass doesn't encroach on the mids (not the same large mid bass hump...for me a good thing). The treble on the D7000s is nice and sparkly. They are the best closed headphones I've ever tried IMHO.

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #77 of 82

Quote:

Oh, got it. Yes, the D7000 is that much better than both IMO. The D7000s have deeper bass that is tighter, better defined and controlled. And unlike the D5000 (which is also very nice), the bass doesn't encroach on the mids (not the same large mid bass hump...for me a good thing). The treble on the D7000s is nice and sparkly. They are the best closed headphones I've ever tried IMHO.

Wow, I will definitely check out the D7000.
Thanks.

Aug 13, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #78 of 82
The discussion about Grado headphones and then the comparing with other producers, especially one who produce „wooden headphones“ is naturally the discussion with some value of contraverse. I think, in first moment, we need understand the things, to be able do rational conclusions. When we compare hifiman headphones, they are able incorporate several technologies and they are open in progres, when Grado applies same concept of transducer 25 years. I wrote two longer articles here in head-fi in one forum, so you can read them and find information about spoken topic. As I said, Grado has golden ears, he is able tune headphones excellently, but the years are going and progress in audio technology is always going forward.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/467248/ps1000-comparison-to-hd800-and-jh13/75#post_6825715

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/467248/ps1000-comparison-to-hd800-and-jh13/75#post_6821083

When I listen hifiman HE-5 headphones, I obtain more then when I listen RA-1 or GS 1000 or other Grado models. The flagship HE-6 will be definitelly out of range of Grado headphones, the technologies inside are much forward as Grado can do with „tunning“, „facelifting“ etc. And naturally, all these aspects are then projected to resulting customers price. I think, today Grado need do strategic decisions for future, to be able do one step forward. The concurence has made several steps forward, so this is only rational argumentation. The concurence can deliver you the headphones with much better performance (quality) to price ratio then Grado today.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #79 of 82
I'd get Grado beccause I love Grado sound.
biggrin.gif

HE-5 sound nice too.
You need both.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #80 of 82
[size=12pt]   Grado sound is unique and hardly copied able. Grado headphones are regular and very important chapter in the Golden book of headphones production. This is true.[/size]

[size=12pt]   But in this book are other producers and their solutions. Grado is in stagnation with the technological progress and the result which you obtain is not so the quality which you expect from the producer of the name like Grado. The technology in headphones during last three years marked giant progress, but Grado is prinsoned in same concept. This is drawback and when Grado not solve the problem, the phrase – I love Grado sound, is not so the argument to purchase them. As I said, here are aspects where top Grado models like RS-1 or PS 1000 are significantly worth as concurence, and these aspects are going to be more and more. The highs in T1 are much much better then in any Grado products. The Grado amp is well known miserable quality product.[/size]

[size=12pt]    I rationaly see, the order new technological progress by tuning or facelifting possiblities are minimal. The „creazy“ handling which produces astronomical prise (addition to very similar product) as for PS 1000 is no way for progress. Same in compare SR 225i and GS 1000, SR 325i and PS 1000.[/size]

[size=12pt]   Orthodynamic headphones has open space. In same order, when Denon start production of open wooden headphones, then Grado prising will be under strong concurence and I do not think that Grado with 25 years old concept is able success for long time. New materials, new technologies, new possibilities does sound reproduction much forward, so only „loved“ sound with exotic price is not so a good idea. Concurence is going to be stronger and stronger in parformance to price ratio. Please see Beyerdynamic products and complete Tesla series. With Tesla technology they attack all market positions of producers or models without latest technologies. This is not aspect of high end, T50p has price at about 300 dollars (euro). I see all sides of coin.[/size]

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #81 of 82
And naturally, when you does decision if Grado model or Hifiman, there is a question which amp you want use. If you want portable small amp, then for example Rudistor Linearossa W3 is excellent one with very good pricetag, or you want “desktop one” for serious audio chain. And naturally, if you want serious amp with excellent quality and strong performance to price ratio. If you want solid state SE amp, then Casea Lyra mk2 with DAC or classical Casea Lyra is excellent idea, there performance to price is excellent, one of the best. The resulting sound quality is excellent. So the discussion need see how headphones will be connected

Users who are viewing this thread

Back