HIFIMAN on Wood
Mar 10, 2017 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71
HIFIMAN gives you that time-honored material connoting quality and luxury. Wood. But not just any wood.

​
HIFIMAN has been working closely with the design team in Boston who have made numerous contributions to HIFMAN products for many years. We thought that we would give you a little insight snippet about the wood we use on our headphone systems.

HIFIMAN uses plywood custom molded with 100% hardwood plies in our high-end headphone designs which is both visually captivating yet strong: This same technique has been utilized in the creation of the renowned furniture designs by Charles and Ray Eames, who some consider to be among the greatest American designers of all time.  Some of the products that make use of the same molded wood techniques are exampled below and we think they show it off rather well.

Solid wood yields great acoustic sound but it's fragile and prone to cracking. We use custom molded plywood, which retains the acoustic advantages of solid wood without the drawbacks.  A critical benefit is our custom molded plywood can survive a free fall drop test from the height of 5 meters!

Furthermore, our process is not just one layer of decoration, commonly known as veneer, with inferior, cheaper materials underneath. HIFIMAN uses custom molded plywood with 100% cherry plies in our high-end headphone designs which is visually captivating, strong, and lightweight.

Here are some examples of molded wood techniques on furniture design:

Eames Molded Plywood Lounge Chair Wood Base

Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman

Capelli Stool, designed by HIFIMAN’s design team in Boston

​
Photo courtesy of Herman Miller for the chairs

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Mar 11, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 71
good wood

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 71
It is. Ignore and move along

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #7 of 71
Well I am extremely happy with my He1000v2.

Love the look and feel of them and find them the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. No doubt helped by the lightness of the plywood.

Metal, wood and leather beats plastic in my book.

Oh and the sound, amazing.

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 71
This just seems like Hifiman trying to say "we do it better than Monoprice" after the recent M1060 debacle, but in a really, really odd way - yeah veneer won't crack, but what of it, we've known that already.

No news, no anything really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back