HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Feb 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #1,471 of 1,779
Interesting, I got a 2nd pair of HE-500s and the cable is terminated differently now. R1 of the silver cable had a termination that allowed for 3.5mm converted into 6.3, now its simply a 6.3.

Only comparing from memory, but it seems to sound different too.. it does some things worse, while other things are impossibly sexy. Maybe its burn in, maybe my monoprice adapter is changing the sound, haha..

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #1,472 of 1,779
Has anyone else had this happen to their HE-500's?

Mine aren't even 4 months old yet, and have been treated very carefully and haven't been used all that much.
frown.gif

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #1,473 of 1,779
If the rod is threaded, it might be that the nut which keeps it together got unscrewed. You might just have to open the headphones and screw back the fallen nut into the rod.

Quote:
Has anyone else had this happen to their HE-500's?

Mine aren't even 4 months old yet, and have been treated very carefully and haven't been used all that much.
frown.gif

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #1,474 of 1,779
Quote:
If the rod is threaded, it might be that the nut which keeps it together got unscrewed. You might just have to open the headphones and screw back the fallen nut into the rod.

Unless I really missed something, the "nut" is the silver part you see dangling from the frame.  It looks like it's press fit / glued into the plastic side of the housing.

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #1,475 of 1,779

Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595466/warning-design-flaw-in-he-500#post_8138696

Ugh, is it just me, or does the HE-500 have a LOT of bass? Much more than I remembered. Enough to cause fatigue.

Source is Desktop -> iBasso D4. Not a great one I know, but it'll be a few weeks before I get a DX100.

Vocals are absolutely top notch though. They sound almost as good as real life imo and this is out of a cheap source. Amazing. Much better than what I remembered.

Piano is also a LOT better than my other headphones. Still can't say its at the level that vocals are though.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #1,478 of 1,779

Quote:
DC resistance (what you probably measured) is not really a reliable way to measure the impedance of a headphone.
What you should do is measure the impedance at varying frequencies, and see if there is a difference in that, but that is obviously quite hard to do without the proper equipment.

This holds true for standard dynamic type headphones but not for orthos like HE-500. Actually DC resistance is pretty close to AC one for every ortho.
So, big channel imbalances in DC resistance are alarming IMO. I suggest that anyone who has this issue to contact Dr. Fang. He is here on headfi under the name 'Nankai'.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #1,479 of 1,779
So, I see I'm not the only person to have this issue. :confused_face:

Now I get to play the warranty game.  Just great... :blink:

This is what is holding me back from buying HE-500s, this type of breakage makes me nervous. I hate sending things in for warranty service, and this really shouldn't be an issue with $700 cans. :blink:

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #1,480 of 1,779

Quote:
This is what is holding me back from buying HE-500s, this type of breakage makes me nervous. I hate sending things in for warranty service, and this really shouldn't be an issue with $700 cans.
blink.gif

+1

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #1,481 of 1,779

double post... sry.

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #1,482 of 1,779
This holds true for standard dynamic type headphones but not for orthos like HE-500. Actually DC resistance is pretty close to AC one for every ortho.
So, big channel imbalances in DC resistance are alarming IMO. I suggest that anyone who has this issue to contact Dr. Fang. He is here on headfi under the name 'Nankai'.

Oops, I forgot that the HE-500 were orthos for a second. My bad :p

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #1,483 of 1,779
Yes I agree that sending things in for warranty service sucks. I haven't seen too many posts about breaking HE500s but the logic that just because something costs more means there should never be any issues just doesn't make sense. Headphones are made by people, who by nature are imperfect, and as such mistakes will be made. How many recalls are made by car companies whose products cost tens of thousands? And as much as sending a pair of headphones in for warranty service is a pain in the *ss it drives me nuts to take my car in because it often means time off work and a change in my schedule/plans. 

When someone has a problem with a headphone they are more likely to post on this forum than someone whose product is flawless and therefore that vocal minority can skew perceptions as to the quality of a product. Don't let this discourage you from buying an amazing headphone.

Quote:
This is what is holding me back from buying HE-500s, this type of breakage makes me nervous. I hate sending things in for warranty service, and this really shouldn't be an issue with $700 cans.
blink.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #1,484 of 1,779
Yes I agree that sending things in for warranty service sucks. I haven't seen too many posts about breaking HE500s but the logic that just because something costs more means there should never be any issues just doesn't make sense. Headphones are made by people, who by nature are imperfect, and as such mistakes will be made. How many recalls are made by car companies whose products cost tens of thousands? And as much as sending a pair of headphones in for warranty service is a pain in the *ss it drives me nuts to take my car in because it often means time off work and a change in my schedule/plans. 

When someone has a problem with a headphone they are more likely to post on this forum than someone whose product is flawless and therefore that vocal minority can skew perceptions as to the quality of a product. Don't let this discourage you from buying an amazing headphone.

Very true, but you would expect that a company who sells very expensive products also spends a little more effort in quality assurance. I personally think that it is unacceptable for such a flaw to occur with a product costing this much, and for cars costing many times as much money it is even more unacceptable.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #1,485 of 1,779

I understand that expensive things still break, I own an M5. However, my BMW dealership comes and gets the thing when it has an issue and leaves a loaner (100k mile B2B warranty). It's still annoying, but it's not like I'm taking time out of my day to deal with it, other than a 2 minute phone call. Right now I'm waffling back and forth between the HE-500s and the Beyer T1s (which also seem to have some QC issues). Seems like the only high-end cans that are consistent are the HD800s, and I don't really care for their sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back