HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Dec 4, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #856 of 1,779

Quote:
Should I get my ms2i's magnumized or should I get HE-500's? We got them in at the store I work at, and the cost price is 469$.

After listening, I really really feel like getting them. They had the silver cable by the way. Can anyone tell me the differences they've heard between it and the previous bulky one? I'm very curious as well.

If you don't mind me asking, which store do you work at? That's a damn good price.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #857 of 1,779
But I just turned 19, I'm going to ruin myself in headphones lmao! I'm on track for getting the magnums, but when I heard one of our manager's brought in hifiman, I gave the he500 a try, and instantly felt like spontaneously buying them... :/. That also means I'll need to get a proper amp as the e7/e9 isn't quite in the same class. Well I can use my vintage marantz and just get a nice dac. But damn... I'm also looking to buy a car!

Quote:
You can always get both 
evil_smiley.gif

If my Magnum v2.5 is any indication then the HE-500 and Magnums will sound very different.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 4, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #858 of 1,779
Sorry, I should not have given the price out, but I get it at cost which is about 60%. It's generally like that everywhere, I'm just lucky I'm working in a hi-fi shop

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, which store do you work at? That's a damn good price.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #860 of 1,779

Quote:
Should I get my ms2i's magnumized or should I get HE-500's? We got them in at the store I work at, and the cost price is 469$.

After listening, I really really feel like getting them. They had the silver cable by the way. Can anyone tell me the differences they've heard between it and the previous bulky one? I'm very curious as well.

$469??? for the HE-500?? This is madness!! But seriously, I'd be jumping all over that deal!

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #861 of 1,779
I guess I should get them then... That's employee's price, how much could I get them for here on headfi used? I just want to save as much as possible

Quote:
$469??? for the HE-500?? This is madness!! But seriously, I'd be jumping all over that deal!

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #862 of 1,779

Quote:
I guess I should get them then... That's employee's price, how much could I get them for here on headfi used? I just want to save as much as possible

They used to be $899, now they're officially $699. I'd sell a brand new pair used for $630-650. Anything under $500 is ridiculous, that's really close to the HE-4, and they are quite a bit apart in terms of sound quality. The HE-500 is an amazing deal for that price, and I would surely go for it if I had the money.

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #864 of 1,779
But I just turned 19... I'm also looking to buy a car!

Honestly if I were you, at your age, I would concentrate more on purchasing the car. Plenty of years left, and something superior to the HE-500 will come along that you can enjoy when you have better means.

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #865 of 1,779
Yes, that's what I was thinking too. Plus a friend and I need to make a studio. As much as I listen everyday, and putting the headphones to good use; I still thinking producing would be more beneficial. I can always buy and resell in a year though

Decision, decisions

Quote:
Honestly if I were you, at your age, I would concentrate more on purchasing the car. Plenty of years left, and something superior to the HE-500 will come along that you can enjoy when you have better means.

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #866 of 1,779

Quote:
Yes, that's what I was thinking too. Plus a friend and I need to make a studio. As much as I listen everyday, and putting the headphones to good use; I still thinking producing would be more beneficial. I can always buy and resell in a year though

Decision, decisions

About the car. Yeah, that's agreed. I'm 16 and have a car, but it's the biggest thing on the priority list once your of age and okay to drive.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #867 of 1,779
Quote:
Yeah mee too..after hearing for these few days i even thought that the canare wire is still the better choice for me..yes the silver cable is more comfy and it sounded more clear but i didnt like the sound of the bass and mids the sound is thinner and less vocal vibration..and so ive decided to use the stock and uncomfy cable..but the pads do rock though...exp using the dt990 pads...

do the Beyer pads fit without any mods being done to them?

You need the plastic mounting rings from the new HiFiMan pads and then put the Beyer pads on them

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #869 of 1,779

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah mee too..after hearing for these few days i even thought that the canare wire is still the better choice for me..yes the silver cable is more comfy and it sounded more clear but i didnt like the sound of the bass and mids the sound is thinner and less vocal vibration..and so ive decided to use the stock and uncomfy cable..but the pads do rock though...exp using the dt990 pads...

do the Beyer pads fit without any mods being done to them?

You need the plastic mounting rings from the new HiFiMan pads and then put the Beyer pads on them

yeap just like that its quite easy..enjoy...

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #870 of 1,779
You all know what the coax pad mod is? Cut a length of coax cable and tuck it into the pads?

I did this on my AD700s in a vain attempt to make them more comfortable, and on my M50Ss (9.5 inches worth) in a successful attempt to make them more comfortable (also paid some minor sonic benefits).

The question is, has anyone done, or felt the need to do, or experimented with, or seen whether it's possible to do the coax pad mod on any HiFiMAN circumaurals (5, 6, 5LE, 4, 300, 500)?

I suppose I'll know in a few weeks when I receive mine (they're backordered), just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back