Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Mar 30, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #2,866 of 3,507

Ah, I see. Thanks for the information! I'll be considering a pair of RE400 then. I think a $200 earphone should have much better build quality, but the RE400 at $65 is an absolute steal.

As a audio gear noob, the RE-400 was a eye (and ear) opening experience for me. But honestly, Idk if I can really recommend them. I don't like the cable that much, the cable cinch sucks, I'm not a big fan of the jack, and the build quality is lacking. My left earpiece is cutting out after about 5 months of use. The two best things about them are the design of the housings and the sound. Everything else I must say is quite disappointing. Do these two things make up for the rest of it? I'm not quite sure. If I could do it over again I'd look further into my options for a balanced, relatively neutral IEM in the $70 price range. But don't get me wrong, they sound really really good. 

With that said, I have just started the warranty process. I will report back with how things turn out so others can know what to expect. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #2,867 of 3,507
  Does the cable become hard or stiff over time?

I've babied mine and have had them since they were first released. (They were my daily drivers for a solid 8 months of that time) That said, the wire is still very much pliable. I haven't experienced any stiffening or hardening of any sort. I've also not experienced the build issues other people have, but again, I've treated them like they were made of crystal... so my experience with them may be wildly different than others. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #2,868 of 3,507
  As a audio gear noob, the RE-400 was a eye (and ear) opening experience for me. But honestly, Idk if I can really recommend them. I don't like the cable that much, the cable cinch sucks, I'm not a big fan of the jack, and the build quality is lacking. My left earpiece is cutting out after about 5 months of use. The two best things about them are the design of the housings and the sound. Everything else I must say is quite disappointing. Do these two things make up for the rest of it? I'm not quite sure. If I could do it over again I'd look further into my options for a balanced, relatively neutral IEM in the $70 price range. But don't get me wrong, they sound really really good. 

With that said, I have just started the warranty process. I will report back with how things turn out so others can know what to expect. 

Yeah, I absolutely have to agree. I wouldn't use them on the go at all if I got them, because of the build issues. However, the sad thing is that nothing really beats their sound at that price. In the long term, it might be just cheaper to invest in something more durable for a higher price. I'm probably going to get them and abuse them until my warranty expires so I'll have an excuse to upgrade to something more expensive, lol.

But yeah, please tell us your experiences with their CS. From what I've seen it's a box of chocolates.

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #2,872 of 3,507
Alright guys. I said that I would tell you about my warranty claim experience with my RE-400s and I just got my replacement pair today so here I am. 

I sent the headphones out on Friday, April 3rd. Silly to send it out on the final business day of the week but that's all I could manage. Anyway, after providing the tracking number to the person I had been emailing from HiFiMAN customer service, I was informed that they had received them on Tuesday, April 7th. I was approved to receive a replacement pair and they were shipped out the next day from Illinois, and I received them today here in Georgia. They were not in retail packaging. Simply the RE-400s equipped with double flange tips in a small plastic baggy which was then bubble wrapped and placed into a large bubble lined envelope. Overall, I am quite happy with my experience with this warranty claim. Communication was good. I would usually get replies to my emails around midnight EST though. I'm guessing the customer service center is in China or something and their US warehouse is in Illinois. But yeah, glad to have a pair of RE-400s in my possession again. I think I'm going to exclusively keep these at home though!

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #2,873 of 3,507
  Alright guys. I said that I would tell you about my warranty claim experience with my RE-400s and I just got my replacement pair today so here I am. 

I sent the headphones out on Friday, April 3rd. Silly to send it out on the final business day of the week but that's all I could manage. Anyway, after providing the tracking number to the person I had been emailing from HiFiMAN customer service, I was informed that they had received them on Tuesday, April 7th. I was approved to receive a replacement pair and they were shipped out the next day from Illinois, and I received them today here in Georgia. They were not in retail packaging. Simply the RE-400s equipped with double flange tips in a small plastic baggy which was then bubble wrapped and placed into a large bubble lined envelope. Overall, I am quite happy with my experience with this warranty claim. Communication was good. I would usually get replies to my emails around midnight EST though. I'm guessing the customer service center is in China or something and their US warehouse is in Illinois. But yeah, glad to have a pair of RE-400s in my possession again. I think I'm going to exclusively keep these at home though!

That's so re-assuring......TY for sharing.

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #2,874 of 3,507
Have any of you compared the RE-400i to the RE-400, or a newer set of the RE-400 to an older set? I had to replace my old RE-400 this year due to the jack failing (got the RE-400i) and have found that the sound quality dropped. They are still clear and sound great for the most part, but they are definitely lacking sub-bass and some mid-bass. I can go back and forth between my old and new pair and hear a significant difference. The old RE-400 is just so much "fuller" sounding while maintaining the SQ I enjoy. I'm wondering if it's the "i" version or perhaps they build them differently. I'm not completely disappointed as I can boost the bass with my amp, but it's a bit of a bummer...

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #2,875 of 3,507
Try burning in for a while before evaluating. Specially bass is one area that changes a lot because of burn in (suspension materials get softer, diafragm moves more = more base).

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #2,877 of 3,507
so what has been the consensus on biting the bullet to go for the re-600 or is re-400 such a good deal that you can't pass it up.
I would be upgrading from the Re0 actually.  I'm torn between just going for the re-600 or settling with re-400.

I mainly listen to hip hop/edm, but I like clean bass.  So I wouldn't consider myself to be bass head.  

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #2,878 of 3,507
so what has been the consensus on biting the bullet to go for the re-600 or is re-400 such a good deal that you can't pass it up.

I would be upgrading from the Re0 actually.  I'm torn between just going for the re-600 or settling with re-400.

I mainly listen to hip hop/edm, but I like clean bass.  So I wouldn't consider myself to be bass head.  

Idk how you feel about RE0s with hip hop and EDM, but I find these to be the genres that the RE-400s struggle with. They have very little and narrow sub bass that doesn't work well for heavy beats with those genres

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #2,879 of 3,507
The Re0 is not best for that genre true, what did you recommend for hip hop/edm ?  I don't like to much bass; it gives me a headache.  If I use the Hisound Studio 3anv, it powers the RE0 flawlessly.  It sounds good, but if I listen to my iPhone 6 plus; it does sound way lacking.  I hear the re400/re600 are much easy to drive this time around.  Thats what brought me back with the idea of going for these

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #2,880 of 3,507
RE-400 still remains unbeaten, [un]fortunately 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back