Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Dec 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #91 of 3,507
Quote:

I actually would say they were tiny, I haven't used the Jays or UE700, the smallest IEMs I own are the Nocs NS800, 200 mm long from end of shell to end of tip and an 8mm diameter barrel.  The RE400 are 202 mm from shell end to tip end and 100 mm diameter at it's widest point (7 mm at its narrowest).

I do want to update with sound impressions, they've gone through about 24 hours of burn in so far with about 4 hours of total use.  I have to say I'm impressed with them so far, they are definitely pushing on the analytical side of things.  Low-to-mid-bass focus, great texturing, but lacking presence down low.  Midrange is highly detailed with great vocal dynamics (something I remember the RE0 lacking) while the highs are extremely detailed (analytical to a point) with high extension.  It's an IEM, that like many of HiFiMan's offerings, tries their best to reach neutral response, it does a decent job of it as well.  The IEMs do lack a warmth to them though :frowning2:  Highs are more strident than the RE0 (which I felt was an extremely perfect balance with hybrid tips).  

*Note, I'm still using the single-flange tip that came with it.  The dual flanges boost the lows, but also constrict the highs for me.  I'm still playing with tips though, so things may change.  

OK, I'll compromise and say they are "really small" but not quite the smallest I've seen. Semantics really, but they should make for an easy and comfy fit for most ears. 

I'm hearing them somewhat similar to you except for the bass response which to my ears hits decently hard and extends satisfyingly low. I'm using the dual flange or else a set of frankenstein tips - large UE single flange covering a modified comply, which gives me a super tight seal without any comply drawbacks. In both cases - but especially the tighter comply fit - I'm very satisfied with extension on both ends. 

Like you, I do find them leaning towards slightly analytical especially in the vocal range, but overall they seem pretty balanced to my ears rather than thin which is what I recall from past RE models. 

I'll try out the single flange tip and see how that works. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #93 of 3,507
I'm able to get good bass depth, was having some slight driver flex issues with the double flange, but single flange does dig quite low (more than I remember the RE0 going :p  It's not a problem with quality :wink: ).  The bass can get very deep, but at times just doesn't have enough of the presence it needs at times.  At times, the bass presence is spot on, at others, it seems lacking.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #95 of 3,507
Quote:
What are you using as a source, just out of curiosity? I'm finding that they respond well to amping or higher quality DAPs, unlike a lot of similar priced IEMs which don't care much. 

iPod Touch 5th Generation.  I'm not really trying complaining too much about the bass, it works, and works well, for the majority of the songs.  I guess I'm being a bit picky :p  I'll keep listening though.  

EDIT: Just got a good fit with the dual-flange tip (EG, not treble loss).  Fixes presence issues quite a bit, makes the bass quite strong (low-mid-bass focus shows itself very well with them).  These are also the first dual-flanges I've ever gotten to create any sort of seal with my ears (even if it's too strong at times :wink: ).

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #96 of 3,507
the re-xyz series has produced great iems

what this company lacks is marketing/promotion

you see iems like tf10 getting 300 pages of enthusiastic comments and can't help but wonder about how people usually lose sight of what is really valuable and fall in the trap of what is simply shining like gold (but apparently is not)

oh well

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #97 of 3,507
Quote:

you see iems like tf10 getting 300 pages of enthusiastic comments and can't help but wonder about how people usually lose sight of what is really valuable and fall in the trap of what is simply shining like gold (but apparently is not)

oh well

RE0 was the only other RE-series I have heard.  They will always have a place in my heart, always.  Such a strong value for the 80 bucks I put down on them 2 years back.  Even though they are out now (no longer functioning), and I miss them daily, they are worth their price (build issues in mind and all).  These are just as good as a value as the RE0s, they improve upon a number of things the RE0 fell short, but it's not a straight upgrade.  

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #98 of 3,507
Quote:

iPod Touch 5th Generation.  I'm not really trying complaining too much about the bass, it works, and works well, for the majority of the songs.  I guess I'm being a bit picky :p  I'll keep listening though.  

EDIT: Just got a good fit with the dual-flange tip (EG, not treble loss).  Fixes presence issues quite a bit, makes the bass quite strong (low-mid-bass focus shows itself very well with them).  These are also the first dual-flanges I've ever gotten to create any sort of seal with my ears (even if it's too strong at times :wink: ).

Me too - dual flange has always been one of my absolute last choices, but for some reason this one works great. When I remove them I end up with the deeper flange flipping itself inside out, and the other flange staying put. I guess that shows how good of a seal it gives me. I also love my frankenstein tips but they get uncomfortable after a while, and I think they compress the highs by a small amount. 

Quote:

oh well

They are getting better. Check out their website - huge improvement compared to the way it used to be. Still, you have a point - even though they are becoming well known for their HE-series planars, a lot of people overlook their IEMs because they don't know about them. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #99 of 3,507
Quote:

Me too - dual flange has always been one of my absolute last choices, but for some reason this one works great. When I remove them I end up with the deeper flange flipping itself inside out, and the other flange staying put. I guess that shows how good of a seal it gives me. I also love my frankenstein tips but they get uncomfortable after a while, and I think they compress the highs by a small amount. 

They are getting better. Check out their website - huge improvement compared to the way it used to be. Still, you have a point - even though they are becoming well known for their HE-series planars, a lot of people overlook their IEMs because they don't know about them. 

What I was talking about yesterday with the highs wasn't compression...  Don't think it getting smaller as it was being fully eliminated with a good chunk of the mids.  I think it was some driver flex happening with the dual-flanges.  Haven't had it lately though, so that's a good thing.  

HiFiMan does need to market their brand a bit more, I'm going to agree there; to more than just the audiophile crowd.  I don't see it happening anytime soon though.  

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #101 of 3,507
Quote:

HiFiMan does need to market their brand a bit more, I'm going to agree there; to more than just the audiophile crowd.  I don't see it happening anytime soon though.  

The problem with the "non-audiophile crowd" is that HiFiMAN IEMs have a non "appeal-to-the-masses" sound, so there's no way I can see "normal" people buying them (Beats and Bose have that kind of sound, that's why they are so successful among non-audiophile people).

I remember once I let a friend listen to my RE-272. He said they sounded like a portable radio LOL
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #102 of 3,507
Quote:

The problem with the "non-audiophile crowd" is that HiFiMAN IEMs have a non "appeal-to-the-masses" sound, so there's no way I can see "normal" people buying them (Beats and Bose have that kind of sound, that's why they are so successful among non-audiophile people).

I remember once I let a friend listen to my RE-272. He said they sounded like a portable radio LOL
biggrin.gif

Etymotic was able to break into the "non-audiophile crowd", HiFiMan can do the same.  

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #103 of 3,507
Quote:

Etymotic was able to break into the "non-audiophile crowd", HiFiMan can do the same.  

Well, of course I hope they do! It would be amazing
etysmile.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #104 of 3,507
Its funny, but as long as HiFiMan is happy with their sales, I don't really care if they get into the non-audiophile crowd. Lots of companies do any excellent job catering to the audiophile crowd. Keep it up, HiFiMan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back