Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Oct 27, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #31 of 3,507
very much looking forward to these. hopefully someone will keep this thread updated with any posted reviews. 
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #32 of 3,507
Quote:
Have you also heard the RE-ZERO?  I've been under the assumption that the 272 was the natural progression, and was going to make the leap soon. I've been mistaken?

But after seeing this thread, I'm definitely putting that plan on hold.

As they say, different strokes for different folks! I currently use the RE272, they don't compare to my cans at all; but they are the best iem's I've had the chance to own. I've actually sold off my 535's and hardly use the ie8 (which i can't sell) because of them. People find the re272's sound sig to be too lean, which is definitely understandable; they are on the more detailed side of things. But, I managed to find the perfect eartips to complement them (simply monster turbine silicones..yup), and with the great seal; the bass has more presence and the frequency balance is much more natural. Like all earbuds I've owned; seal is important. But even more so for the RE-272.

I do plan on getting the IE-800 and the RE600 given their great pricing though, anxious to try out the new hifiman products when the store rep has them!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 27, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #33 of 3,507
My 12 yr old Etys just broke and I'm in the hunt for a replacement. I loved the clarity and accuracy of them. I've lived with the HE-6 since they came out and have nothing but love for them so I have to consider another Dr. Fang product.

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #34 of 3,507
Quote:
As they say, different strokes for different folks! I currently use the RE272, they don't compare to my cans at all; but they are the best iem's I've had the chance to own. I've actually sold off my 535's and hardly use the ie8 (which i can't sell) because of them. People find the re272's sound sig to be too lean, which is definitely understandable; they are on the more detailed side of things. But, I managed to find the perfect eartips to complement them (simply monster turbine silicones..yup), and with the great seal; the bass has more presence and the frequency balance is much more natural. Like all earbuds I've owned; seal is important. But even more so for the RE-272.

I do plan on getting the IE-800 and the RE600 given their great pricing though, anxious to try out the new hifiman products when the store rep has them!

The bolded is exactly why I've wanted them for so long. I have the HE-300 and TMA-1s for when I need a more engaging signature, so I'm purely chasing the clarity dragon on the IEM front.

But now I need to hold out to see if the 400 or 600 are even more detailed. Hopefully Fang has found even another level. But even if not, the RE272 looks to be receiving a major price cut soon, so the RE400 can slide into place.

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #35 of 3,507
the 272 is my favourite iem by far (also had RE-ZERO , RE-252 , RE-262 , EQ-5) and i will be very tempted to check em out , esprecially if the sound is like the 272 and an improvement as well

the 272 is a dream come true for those who like their sound clear,balanced,analytical

have them since last september and my upgraditis is hibernating ever since

great , great IEM

let's see what sonic ace mr fang has up his sleeve - or should i say ear ?

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #36 of 3,507
I can't wait til these come out - they sound really promising, I agree the gold is not so great - I would prefer these anodised in just about any other colour but I guess I'm not the one designing them:D

Should be any day now I guess...

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #37 of 3,507
if cable is from the same material as in re262  that would be a huge mistake to pay 400usd for iems that you can use just for the time warranty expires.        

and are those black paper filters like in re0? then no . Hifiman was value for money some time ago but it is no more. just my opinion

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #38 of 3,507
if cable is from the same material as in re262  that would be a huge mistake to pay 400usd for iems that you can use just for the time warranty expires.        

and are those black paper filters like in re0? then no . Hifiman was value for money some time ago but it is no more. just my opinion

Damn didn't think of that - are the housings even openable to allow possibility of recabling when the stock cable fails (I'm guessing this would be a massive headache to do?)

I really don't want to pay $500 for an earphone that will last as long as the rubber cable. What is the problem with paper filters though (do they collect oil and start to sound too dark or something?)

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #40 of 3,507
when you move from cold to warm (street-home) moisture can condensate on that material and block the sound. imagine exercising  gives similar result

Ahh I see thanks for explaining.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #41 of 3,507
Quote:

You can use google translate to get an idea of what he is writing, but based on my limited understanding of Mandarin, the person mentions how by using the balanced setting of the HM-901, the RE600 comes across as effortless and balanced. None of the frequency stood out as the bass, mids and highs were excellent in their respective areas. The mids are not as forward sounding as the RE262 and RE272 but aren't as recessed sounding either. He mentions that the mids are lush although he didn't compare it to the RE-262. Bass is quick and punchy with excellent timbre, while the highs are typical of the HiFiMan sound signature, one that is smooth and well-extended, translating to a non sibilant, non-fatiguing sound with plenty of details. Soundstage is good with excellent 3D imaging.

I had a chance to listen to the RE600s at the San Diego meet on Saturday.  They are indeed balanced, and I agree with most of the comments above.  However, I did find them sibilant and fatiguing.  My friend also thought the highs were harsh.  The bass was punchy and the sub-bass was excellent (they don't extend as low as the GR07).   I heard great instrument separation and sound stage.

I was told that the ones I heard are not the finished product, so perhaps they will remove some of the sibilance (it was quite bad, I think). 

Quote:
. All in all, he mentions how it is an excellent IEM that can be compared to the more expensive Customs.

I'm not so sure I could make this claim based on what I heard.  They do have a lot of potential, but the ones I heard could not even be compared to the 4Ai (the Heir Audio rep was there with the 3Ai and 4Ai).    Again, the ones they had on display supposedly still need work...but I don't know if that work is cosmetical or if they still need to tune things a little bit.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #42 of 3,507
Lets hope they get things right...soundwise and build quality  then they will have something very special indeed. Com'on Fang .....You can do it.......
We have the Faith

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #43 of 3,507
I had a chance to listen to the RE600s at the San Diego meet on Saturday.  They are indeed balanced, and I agree with most of the comments above.  However, I did find them sibilant and fatiguing.  My friend also thought the highs were harsh.  The bass was punchy and the sub-bass was excellent (they don't extend as low as the GR07).   I heard great instrument separation and sound stage.

I was told that the ones I heard are not the finished product, so perhaps they will remove some of the sibilance (it was quite bad, I think). 

Have you ever listened to the re-272? If so, how would you compare them by memory?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #44 of 3,507
Quote:
Have you ever listened to the re-272? If so, how would you compare them by memory?

No, I have never listened to any of the Hifiman IEMs.

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #45 of 3,507
Quote:

I'm not so sure I could make this claim based on what I heard.  They do have a lot of potential, but the ones I heard could not even be compared to the 4Ai (the Heir Audio rep was there with the 3Ai and 4Ai).    Again, the ones they had on display supposedly still need work...but I don't know if that work is cosmetical or if they still need to tune things a little bit.

When you say balanced, in what regard do you mean?  I've seen that word used in two ways, first meaning to have a slight (or deep) v/u shape and the other meaning to be nearly neutral. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back