Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Dec 1, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #3,001 of 3,507
Well I just received my pair, I purchased these direct from HIFIMAN via Amazon. I love the sound but as good as the sound is, the cable's lower part after the split is the worst thing I have ever seen. It looks and feels like it has been through hell or it's just really bad quality control or a returned refurbished unit.

It has 9 kinks/bulges in it that I counted. I can’t believe this is normal?  If you slide your hands across the cable it’s not smooth but you hit/feel these bumps. I looked closely and they appear to be the cable beneath sticking out though the sleeve. Some look like burns. This is only on the lower part after the split to the jack. The upper part after the split is fine.

I have email this to picture to HIFIMAN's support to see what their reply is. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #3,002 of 3,507
Welcome to the bane of hifiman IEMs that is cables.  Since it still has warranty, you may return it for replacement.  Hope your waiting doesn't end up like mine, where the warranty expired before I got the replacement

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #3,004 of 3,507
Just got a reply:

Dear Customer.

Terribly sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please refer to the shipping label in the attachment. We will cover the shipping fee of sending the package back to us. 

Please ship your defective item to our United States address:
HIFIMAN Electronics
Service department
711 Dawson Drive,
Newark, DE 19713
1-201-443-4626
United States

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #3,006 of 3,507
Ugh, the painful process of RMA. I hope with your lenghty warranty you dont get sending back your re600. When I got mine replaced, the left channel keeps dropping until it died, and with no more warranty I had no choice but to recable.

Once that cable build issue is addressed, I am content and happy! Just phenomenal sound from now on, no more worries of em dying on me. These have halted my upgrade path of my IEMs ($400 is my ceiling) unless I can get a good CIEM deal :)

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #3,008 of 3,507
Ugh, the painful process of RMA. I hope with your lenghty warranty you dont get sending back your re600. When I got mine replaced, the left channel keeps dropping until it died, and with no more warranty I had no choice but to recable.

Once that cable build issue is addressed, I am content and happy! Just phenomenal sound from now on, no more worries of em dying on me. These have halted my upgrade path of my IEMs ($400 is my ceiling) unless I can get a good CIEM deal
smily_headphones1.gif

I considered that but I don't really like the jacks many of these providers use. I'm sure down the road I may go that way but for now I have HIFIMAN by the neck under their warranty.

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #3,010 of 3,507
I've been using Westone W40s for about a year now, and am pondering RE 600s. For the most part, I like HiFiMan sound, prev. had RE0 and RE400. Concern is having to go back to EQing for bass like I did before. (Nothing against EQ, just a pain to turn it on/off for IEM vs other outputs.)

My main beef with W40s is fit. One ear is fine, but one I have to constantly poke back in. I've tried every tip in the world and nothing helps.

Any thoughts?

p.s. RE600s are $179 on Amazon now.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #3,011 of 3,507
  I've been using Westone W40s for about a year now, and am pondering RE 600s. For the most part, I like HiFiMan sound, prev. had RE0 and RE400. Concern is having to go back to EQing for bass like I did before. (Nothing against EQ, just a pain to turn it on/off for IEM vs other outputs.)

My main beef with W40s is fit. One ear is fine, but one I have to constantly poke back in. I've tried every tip in the world and nothing helps.

Any thoughts?

I have Westone 3's. They are a tighter fit than other IEM's, but once you get the right fit they are comfy but they will not go into your ear as much as HIFIMAN can. With a different ear structure you may want to try a different tip on the ear that is a problem.

At first the RE600 felt like it had no bass, but it does depending on the recording. They are not bass cans by any means by default, unless the music really has a great recording and has pronounced bass in the recording. They are more neutral across the board and even in the sound signature and I would also add maybe a tad strong on the high's. I added another filter over the existing one and that helped. They do sound better than my Westones which is amazing considering they are a triple driver. Try them and if you don't like them you can always return them on Amazon.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #3,012 of 3,507

Any thoughts?

Wow they did shoot up the price again! I got them for $149.00 off Amazon. That stinks.

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #3,015 of 3,507
I paid full price 400usd not long before the permanent price reduction to 200usd, and now 150usd... oh well... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back