HiFiMAN HM-801 DAC Inputs
Feb 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Benjamin6264

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I have recently decided to go get myself the following setup:

HiFiMAN HM-801 -[size=11pt]>[/size] HiFiMAN EF-6 -[size=11pt]>[/size] HiFiMAN HE-6

The problem is that I'll be using the HM-801 as a dedicated source with my laptop, which doesn't have coaxial out. I am therefore forced to go USB, which apparently isn't the same quality. I have read many reviews, and the opinions vary a lot.

My questions are:

- How different is the coaxial from USB on the HM-801?
- Would getting a USB to SP/DIF converter get me the quality of coaxial, or would it decrease quality because of the extra step?
- Would it be worth it to buy a USB to SP/DIF converter, such as the V-Link II or V-Link 192?
- How likely am I to have trouble playing some files with just USB, considering most of my files are either FLAC, ALAC or AAC?

Bonus questions:

- Would I have a better quality with a real dedicated source of lower value such as the Schiit Lyr, or does HM-801 exceed that level even though it's also intended for portable use?
- How should the HM-801 be set power-wise in order to have the best sound quality (AC, DC, charging, not charging, etc.)?
- Does using iTunes as my music player influence the quality of the sound? I've heard somewhere that it could, but I find the claim surprising.

Thank you for your help.

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 6
The DAC section of the HM-801 is quite good as far as portable players are concerned, but it's still only a match for desktop DACs in the under $400 range. The USB input on the HM-801 sounds TERRIBLE. You really don't want to use it with any sort of music playback. For something like playing podcasts from a computer its fine, but that's as far as I'd go. For USB, you'll get much better results out of any number of desktop DACs that have a proper asynchronous USB input, like the DAC Magic Plus or Musical Fidelity M1-A DAC.

Are you using iTunes on a Windows laptop? If so, you'll get much better sound from Foobar or JRiver in WASAPI output mode. JPlay provides the best results, but its really better suited to dedicated music servers. iTunes on Mac is better, but you'll still benefit from using Pure Music, Amarra, etc.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Is there another way for me to use Coaxial than to buy a converter?

You'd need a converter. I'm not sure why you'd want to do that though, the line-out from the HM-801 isn't that incredible either. Again, good by portable standards, but easily beaten by all but the cheapest desktop DACs. The 801 also takes a noticeable sound quality hit when plugged into the wall. It definitely sounds better running on batteries.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
You'd need a converter. I'm not sure why you'd want to do that though, the line-out from the HM-801 isn't that incredible either. Again, good by portable standards, but easily beaten by all but the cheapest desktop DACs. The 801 also takes a noticeable sound quality hit when plugged into the wall. It definitely sounds better running on batteries.

In my experience, the HM-801 sounds slightly more effortless while plugged into the wall. The sound quality changes are very subtle.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
In my experience, the HM-801 sounds slightly more effortless while plugged into the wall. The sound quality changes are very subtle.

I should probably clarify that I only use the portable switch-mode laptop style charger,  which noticeably harms the sound but is a lot more practical to use. The standard linear supply is much closer, but I still prefer it on battery power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back