HiFiMan Headband Mod for HE-400, HE-500, HE-4, HE-6
Sep 20, 2014 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SoundApprentice

100+ Head-Fier
A common complaint about HiFiMan's famed planar magnetic headphones is that they're quite heavy and often cause irritation or discomfort to the contact points with the head after prolonged listening. Another issue for those with small heads is that the stock headband configuration doesn't allow for a snug fit. Here is a cheap tweak that will solve both of these problems.

Enter the Sennheiser HD600 headband pad. This OEM pad can be purchased from a variety of sites, like B&H (here) and elsewhere for around $14. To attach the pad to your HiFiMans, simply use some double-sided tape, Velcro tabs, or glue if you want it to be a permanent addition. I chose to use some small squares of double-sided tape.

I can promise you that this simple tweak will take the comfort of your HiFiMans to a whole new level.

To cover up the added pad and add just a touch more comfort and character, I also added a hand-woven wool headband wrap. This comes from a nice Chinese woman off of eBay (here). I went with the one sized for the Sennheiser HD800 and it works perfectly; she also makes these for tons of other makes/models. For $10, it's a second cheap tweak that I can happily recommend.

Happy modding.

Sep 20, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 7
For me the addition of a pad was a must. My head is simply too small and the ear cups hung too low. The HD600 pad takes up the perfect amount of space to alleviate this issue. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 7
I might just order the woven padding. I have a big head and use near max extensions on all of my headphones so thick padding wouldn't work well. Hows the comfort of the woven padding? does it compress over time or keep its fluff?

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 7
  I might just order the woven padding. I have a big head and use near max extensions on all of my headphones so thick padding wouldn't work well. Hows the comfort of the woven padding? does it compress over time or keep its fluff?

The woven wrap actually has no padding in it. It is just a wool warp with some snaps on it. If you find knit hats or sweaters comfortable, you will like adding it to your headphone band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back