Hifiman HE6-SE
Dec 11, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #3,782 of 3,903
Has anyone try them with a Neve RNHP ?

I’m looking for a portable amp to send it all to Sonarwork for individual calibration.
I don't think the Neve works well with hard to drive planars and it's not portable (if you mean easily transportable, then sure). I'd suggest looking into Questyle for desktop devices, e.g. the cma fifteen balanced works really well with its current mode. I'm not as well versed with portable devices when it comes to harder to drive stuff.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #3,783 of 3,903
I don't think the Neve works well with hard to drive planars and it's not portable (if you mean easily transportable, then sure). I'd suggest looking into Questyle for desktop devices, e.g. the cma fifteen balanced works really well with its current mode. I'm not as well versed with portable devices when it comes to harder to drive stuff.
Thanks for the suggestion but it seems too expensive and big for my needs.

I had someone suggesting the topping A30pro in another thread. It seems to deliver 3.4W at 50ohm so plenty enough for the HE6se plus the form factor is comparable to the one of the RNHP (2cm wider, same depth) and it cost just as much.

Unless I’m missing something, So far it seems to be my safest bet.

Edit: when I mean portable, I mean easy to put in my luggage. I don’t want a full size desktop unit. I’m not specifically looking for something to put in my pocket.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #3,784 of 3,903
Thanks for the suggestion but it seems too expensive and big for my needs.

I had someone suggesting the topping A30pro in another thread. It seems to deliver 3.4W at 50ohm so plenty enough for the HE6se plus the form factor is comparable to the one of the RNHP (2cm wider, same depth) and it cost just as much.

Unless I’m missing something, So far it seems to be my safest bet.

Edit: when I mean portable, I mean easy to put in my luggage. I don’t want a full size desktop unit. I’m not specifically looking for something to put in my pocket.
A30 Pro is what I use with my HE6se v2.

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #3,786 of 3,903
Have you ever been able to listen to the Ananda Nano or the HE1000 se ?

If so, how different are they to the HE6se v2 with the A30pro as an amp ?
Sorry for the late reply!

Unfortunately I don’t own or have access to the Ananda Nano or HE1000 SE.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #3,787 of 3,903
So, my new head band arrived from AliExpress for the HE6SE2. Not quite as good as the band on my Audeze LCD-2C, but good enough and so much more comfortable. 1000001640.jpg
1000001639.jpg
That's what I did with my HE-6SE V2 a couple of years ago...............still by far (after over 60 headphones owned/tested/traded) my favorite headphone.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #3,788 of 3,903
Been away for a while enjoying these and my HE-500's (both with Dekoni pads, fed from speaker taps, both with Q French Silk cables) and it's time to ask what I've asked many times over the last few years...........who else is feeding these babies from a vintage amp? Mine is a Pioneer Spec setup (Spec 1 preamp, Spec 2 amp at 250wpc, SG9800 equalizer - all have been recapped)?

Attachments

• Cerwin Vega DX-5 setup for Spec system with JBL Sub.jpg
    Cerwin Vega DX-5 setup for Spec system with JBL Sub.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 10, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #3,789 of 3,903
Have you ever been able to listen to the Ananda Nano or the HE1000 se ?

If so, how different are they to the HE6se v2 with the A30pro as an amp ?
The HE-6 SE v2 (and all HE-6) need lots of juice, well more than the SE or Nano. Have not heard the Nano, but know the reviews. Know the SE pretty well. They are fairly different from each other. Have you heard them all, or are you going off of reviews? On paper, the A30 pro should drive all of them fine power wise. Have no idea how it sounds. A friend has the A70 and its good.

I've owned 11 HFM cans. I am a major fan of 8 HFM cans (and own 2 of those) besides the manufacturer and my firm belief that they all sound better with PEQ, and cables other than they make, and the round cups pads must also be after market, and the rear screens of the round cups need to be changed to (my pick Arctic (new ones)) to maximize them.

So, what do you have, and what can you spend, and what do you listen too?

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #3,790 of 3,903
That's what I did with my HE-6SE V2 a couple of years ago...............still by far (after over 60 headphones owned/tested/traded) my favorite headphone.
They look like the Audeze Ali headband, the HFM ones look like the HE-5 & 6 SE v1 band. The screen looks like the newer minimal Arctic - which are excellent. Comments please.

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #3,791 of 3,903
The HE-6 SE v2 (and all HE-6) need lots of juice, well more than the SE or Nano. Have not heard the Nano, but know the reviews. Know the SE pretty well. They are fairly different from each other. Have you heard them all, or are you going off of reviews? On paper, the A30 pro should drive all of them fine power wise. Have no idea how it sounds. A friend has the A70 and its good.

I've owned 11 HFM cans. I am a major fan of 8 HFM cans (and own 2 of those) besides the manufacturer and my firm belief that they all sound better with PEQ, and cables other than they make, and the round cups pads must also be after market, and the rear screens of the round cups need to be changed to (my pick Arctic (new ones)) to maximize them.

So, what do you have, and what can you spend, and what do you listen too?
I have the Nanos that I sent to Sonarwork to get them measured and use their calibration. It is very reliable for my use case ( audio engineering) . It’s sterile and has great bass extension and details. Perfect for analytical situation. I don’t have nor ever tried the HE1000se and I’m a bit concerned about their wide soundstage. See, I can’t work with the HD800 soundstage as it is too exaggerated and unnatural. So I think my only concern is that. As for the HE6se v2, I actually don’t know what to expect as everybody only talk about the bass slam comparison with previous models which I couldn’t care less. My expectations are to better my current Nanos situation. It doesn’t seem to be an easy task as it surpasses the detail retrieval , resolution , depth and transient response of all my other cans that are supposedly industry standards by now and I’m talking about my HD650 and NDH30. The nanos are far superior to those in regards to analytical and critical listening capacities.

The A30 pro would drive the HE6 with about twice as much power as it is required ( I think it needs 2W per Chanel at 50ohm and the A30 provide 3.6W per channel. )

My question is, will I get a better tool in all aspect or will it only be a “different” tool.

There’s so much fanboyism in the audio market that it’s hard to navigate through all this and get someone that is knowledgeable enough about audio engineering to give an honest POV and not only another random guy talking his ass off without even knowing what he is really taking about.

Edit: if I get the HE6 + A30 combo, I’ll also send them to Sonarwork so the FR plot is not a concern to me unless there’s some serious dips. (I’ll most likely do the grill mod and velour pad mods before sending them) My concern is about their technical ability. More over, the transient response capacity and detail retrieval as this is what I use my cans for . Will it be a serious upgrade or just another pair of cans with small improvement here and there.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #3,792 of 3,903
I have the Nanos that I sent to Sonarwork to get them measured and use their calibration. It is very reliable for my use case ( audio engineering) . It’s sterile and has great bass extension and details. Perfect for analytical situation. I don’t have nor ever tried the HE1000se and I’m a bit concerned about their wide soundstage. See, I can’t work with the HD800 soundstage as it is too exaggerated and unnatural. So I think my only concern is that.
All the HE-1000's (HEK) have larger than life stage/image size. The v2 being so big that it will not scale down much for intimate works, The others not as much, but clearly larger than the recording. The 800 or 800S have more precise placement within the stage than the HEK's but it is larger than life.
As for the HE6se v2, I actually don’t know what to expect as everybody only talk about the bass slam comparison with previous models which I couldn’t care less. My expectations are to better my current Nanos situation. It doesn’t seem to be an easy task as it surpasses the detail retrieval , resolution , depth and transient response of all my other cans that are supposedly industry standards by now and I’m talking about my HD650 and NDH30. The nanos are far superior to those in regards to analytical and critical listening capacities.
We agree on those points. The SE v2 is probably a hair less defined than the Nanos, but for sure more than the NDH30 or 650. While it lacks the visceral bass impact of its earlier HE-6 6 screw older brother, IMO it has the best bass (timbre, speed, heft, density, Q) of any headphone near that price range (~$400).

The other issue is that is does not image precisely - its better than the 3 blob 650. I'm pretty sure the Nano is better at that.

In order to maximize it, in order of importance, it needs these things:

1. PEQ - beware of the Harman FR focus. They ring - or at least do not stop moving in several spots in the treble, specific notches needed to mitigate that.. Even a 31 band fixed freq EQ can't do it - I'm talking Q 7-9 and -2.5-3.5 db. Mitigation, no way to eliminate w/o messing the music.
2. pads - pali pads IMO suck, lots of alternates listed. Personally I can't use felt (too hot), and sonically my choice is expensive, do read back for ideas.
3. rear screen -> arctic (the newer minimal screen)
4. cables - I find cables from Audeze, DCA, and others to be fine, and I'm not generally a cable guy - but HFM cables really do suck sonically. HFM makes great drivers, but cuts R&D and costs in other areas for sure.
5 dynamat - I like my bass to stop when the recording stops, I damp all my cans with a bit to keep the cup reverberations to a minimum, I'm probably in the under 3% category on that.
The A30 pro would drive the HE6 with about twice as much power as it is required ( I think it needs 2W per Chanel at 50ohm and the A30 provide 3.6W per channel. )
Yes, it has the juice.
My question is, will I get a better tool in all aspect or will it only be a “different” tool.
There is the question.... Not sure there is one size fits all. Just the best set of features at whatever price point you are at.
There’s so much fanboyism in the audio market that it’s hard to navigate through all this and get someone that is knowledgeable enough about audio engineering to give an honest POV and not only another random guy talking his ass off without even knowing what he is really taking about.
I'm a natural critic, with lots of experience as kit builder, modifier, and maybe most importantly to a stretch where I improved and even designed rooms for audiophiles, so maybe I have some of it.
Edit: if I get the HE6 + A30 combo, I’ll also send them to Sonarwork so the FR plot is not a concern to me unless there’s some serious dips. (I’ll most likely do the grill mod and velour pad mods before sending them) My concern is about their technical ability. More over, the transient response capacity and detail retrieval as this is what I use my cans for . Will it be a serious upgrade or just another pair of cans with small improvement here and there.
Velour pad mod? Everything but leather leaks too much bass so it mitigates rise time - roto toms for instance. I have heard leather sided pads with velour tops that didn't do that as much. Many choices.

The HE-6 SE v2 is more dense than the egg cup HFM's, it does have more bass impact, when PEQ'd it rises to the level of both being accurate and pleasing.

I knew a guy who was a mixing engineer back in the 80's and 90's. He used near field monitors, and he said he liked them bright, so during the long boring hours when something was wrong, it would hit him over the head and get his attention. If you agree, the 6 SE v2 is probably a side grade, if you want accuracy/neutral with more heft, then the 6 SE v2 may be a welcome move.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #3,793 of 3,903
All the HE-1000's (HEK) have larger than life stage/image size. The v2 being so big that it will not scale down much for intimate works, The others not as much, but clearly larger than the recording. The 800 or 800S have more precise placement within the stage than the HEK's but it is larger than life.

We agree on those points. The SE v2 is probably a hair less defined than the Nanos, but for sure more than the NDH30 or 650. While it lacks the visceral bass impact of its earlier HE-6 6 screw older brother, IMO it has the best bass (timbre, speed, heft, density, Q) of any headphone near that price range (~$400).

The other issue is that is does not image precisely - its better than the 3 blob 650. I'm pretty sure the Nano is better at that.

In order to maximize it, in order of importance, it needs these things:

1. PEQ - beware of the Harman FR focus. They ring - or at least do not stop moving in several spots in the treble, specific notches needed to mitigate that.. Even a 31 band fixed freq EQ can't do it - I'm talking Q 7-9 and -2.5-3.5 db. Mitigation, no way to eliminate w/o messing the music.
2. pads - pali pads IMO suck, lots of alternates listed. Personally I can't use felt (too hot), and sonically my choice is expensive, do read back for ideas.
3. rear screen -> arctic (the newer minimal screen)
4. cables - I find cables from Audeze, DCA, and others to be fine, and I'm not generally a cable guy - but HFM cables really do suck sonically. HFM makes great drivers, but cuts R&D and costs in other areas for sure.
5 dynamat - I like my bass to stop when the recording stops, I damp all my cans with a bit to keep the cup reverberations to a minimum, I'm probably in the under 3% category on that.

Yes, it has the juice.

There is the question.... Not sure there is one size fits all. Just the best set of features at whatever price point you are at.

I'm a natural critic, with lots of experience as kit builder, modifier, and maybe most importantly to a stretch where I improved and even designed rooms for audiophiles, so maybe I have some of it.

Velour pad mod? Everything but leather leaks too much bass so it mitigates rise time - roto toms for instance. I have heard leather sided pads with velour tops that didn't do that as much. Many choices.

The HE-6 SE v2 is more dense than the egg cup HFM's, it does have more bass impact, when PEQ'd it rises to the level of both being accurate and pleasing.

I knew a guy who was a mixing engineer back in the 80's and 90's. He used near field monitors, and he said he liked them bright, so during the long boring hours when something was wrong, it would hit him over the head and get his attention. If you agree, the 6 SE v2 is probably a side grade, if you want accuracy/neutral with more heft, then the 6 SE v2 may be a welcome move.
I do use all my cans EQd. The HE6 wouldn’t be different as I would send them to Sonarwork for measurements and get a calibration. But reading your review, it does feel like it might only be a “different” tool. As for the HE1000, that’ll be a no go for me as you confirmed my fear. I’ll take a look elsewhere for more detailed and better transient response type of cans. Hopefully I won’t need to go in the electrostatic world or the 5K$ price range to get something that really has al I’m after .

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #3,794 of 3,903
I do use all my cans EQd. The HE6 wouldn’t be different as I would send them to Sonarwork for measurements and get a calibration. But reading your review, it does feel like it might only be a “different” tool. As for the HE1000, that’ll be a no go for me as you confirmed my fear. I’ll take a look elsewhere for more detailed and better transient response type of cans. Hopefully I won’t need to go in the electrostatic world or the 5K$ price range to get something that really has al I’m after .
I'm a fan of the HE6SE v2... I have two pair..... I'm also in the camp to get the new Modhouse Tungsten that I believe will be my choice of phones from what I heard with them at the camjam... they are hard to buy but they have more technicalities than the HE6SEv2 .. I could only imagine what they would sound like with the sonarwork done on them

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #3,795 of 3,903
Love stats. I think our tastes/needs are not that different. Please check out:

Rall CA-1a - esp w/ the filter, but I think it requires a PC, PEQ for sure
HEDD v2 - not heard but know the technology well, I want to hear it (v1 used another possible target, but of the choices I list here (along with the E2) is below the other 3 in absolute terms (to my taste)
DCA E3 - mammoth reviews including from people i respect (not just sites that sell stuff and everything they sell is the best ever...). Know the company well, very good cans, keep getting better. Have not heard it yet.
DCA E2 - has the best bass (real not technicolor outside of the HE-6 6 screw) of any open back planar, very clean, smaller image, treble over 10k a hair reticent, but PEQ fixes is. After the hysteria of the E3, used prices might get it into the $850-900 range - they have held value of the OG price very well - but that's going to end.

all those choices cheaper than estat + estat amp (used DCA Voce & med/high powered used amp is going to be > $3k)

I'd bet a decent chunk of change that at least one of these would be a real upgrade for you and might be the end game. Pretty sure when I hear the HEDD and E3 I will have also arrived at my end game

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back