Hifiman HE400se
Jul 2, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #467 of 670
Hello guys, I received my Hifiman HE400SE paid 99 euros in sales a few weeks ago and for this price they are really incredible. I continue their burn-in period but in the state, they already are extraordinary of musicality, so much that one could say that it is worth 5 times the price that I paid them !

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #468 of 670
Hello guys, I received my Hifiman HE400SE paid 99 euros in sales a few weeks ago and for this price they are really incredible. I continue their burn-in period but in the state, they already are extraordinary of musicality, so much that one could say that it is worth 5 times the price that I paid them !
Congrats on your new pair of headphones! :)

Jul 14, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #469 of 670
HE400se Chinese Version after regrill
IMG_20220714_081221__01.jpg

IMG_20220714_082302__01.jpg

Jul 14, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #471 of 670
As you can expect, new grills open and clear the treble and make the cans airier. On the other side, I found that the bass becomes more shy/thin but a little faster. I didn't want to change the cans on the ear side, so I decided to seal it on the open side by adding some furniture foam :wink: , and the bass became tight again. I don't know if it's better than the original, but I like it. Still, Sundara has much better bass with more dynamics. However, currently, I'm using HE400se more often and longer 🎶.
IMG_20220714_171806.jpg

*some tips regarding materials are here

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #472 of 670
As you can expect, new grills open and clear the treble and make the cans airier. On the other side, I found that the bass becomes more shy/thin but a little faster. I didn't want to change the cans on the ear side, so I decided to seal it on the open side by adding some furniture foam :wink: , and the bass became tight again. I don't know if it's better than the original, but I like it. Still, Sundara has much better bass with more dynamics. However, currently, I'm using HE400se more often and longer 🎶.
IMG_20220714_171806.jpg
*some tips regarding materials are here
You could increase the perception of bass if you put some card stock or similar thickness in the (vertical) ring inside the cups. I will hunt for a picture to show you. This was a mod that was also done with the HE400S.

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #474 of 670
Hey everyone in this thread, I'm maybe going to get the HE 400SE but I don't know if they'll be too small for my ears. Could anyone please tell me the diameter of the cans?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #475 of 670
Finally bought these when I found them on sale. Have been quite curious to try a pair of planars and I have to say that I like these a lot! I really like them with atmospherical/raw blackmetal and shoegaze, which probably are at the moment my most listened to genres. The bass is so nice and tight and the treble is at pretty much the sweetspot for me, quite revealing but not fatiguing at all. I'm all about the bang for the buck and these are certainly doing it for me. Just wanted to share my opinion :)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #476 of 670
Finally bought these when I found them on sale. Have been quite curious to try a pair of planars and I have to say that I like these a lot! I really like them with atmospherical/raw blackmetal and shoegaze, which probably are at the moment my most listened to genres. The bass is so nice and tight and the treble is at pretty much the sweetspot for me, quite revealing but not fatiguing at all. I'm all about the bang for the buck and these are certainly doing it for me. Just wanted to share my opinion :)
Glad you're digging them, man. I think they're the best buy on the market among sub-$200 headphones. As a cheap person, I've tried more than a few cans in that price bracket. :)

Sep 5, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #477 of 670
Just picked up a pair yesterday from Amazon. I was given a gift card and figured I would upgrade my 45-year-old Sony Mdr V6 headphones. I was never a headphone guy, the Sony's sat most of their life in a cabinet. Anyway, while waiting for the 400 se with same day shipping I put the Sony's on and listened for a few minutes and said to myself same as years ago just letting me hear music without disturbing others. The 400 se arrived by 730 pm and I plugged them in with no expectations other than I wanted to see what was up with Magnetic Planar headphones. All I can say is WOW, incredible. The imaging, and separation of instruments were like something I never heard before. Love the lightweight feel and they don't feel like my head is in a vise like the Sony's. Definitely going to be using these more often. Now I see what the fuss is about headphones and why there is a forum like this. I'm a 2-channel speaker guy but I think I can go both ways now. I'm a believer!

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #478 of 670
Never had planars so finally bit the bullet, 119€ is not that much money, we'll see how I will like the HE400SE "Stealth version" when it arrives. Interesting.

Nov 7, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #480 of 670
I think I will, I'm most curious about the very low distorsion of planars and the supposed timbre. Things I prioritize. I want it to sound as much as live instruments as possible, and I know how those sounds as I have played live a lot. Eq curve can be tuned.
Most worry is if I will need a super-duper amp to drive them, we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back