Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Dec 2, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #9,661 of 14,702
So you are saying Mojo is better than Modi to Rupert Neve? Because if Mojo is better than Modi to any amp, I really see no point in amping a Mojo that has an amp built in. Mojo drives HEK pretty well based on what I hear(but, don't know how much more refined the HEK can sound with the right setup).

I have heard a headphone that output more refined sound out of the CMA600i over Mojo, and curious if it's the case with the HEK as well.

Mojo has a clear output power limit. In real life it’s mostly about choosing between different kinds of compromises. The small lose by doing double amplifying can probably be outweighed by the quality the standalone amp gives.

Dec 2, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #9,664 of 14,702
Mojo has a clear output power limit. In real life it’s mostly about choosing between different kinds of compromises. The small lose by doing double amplifying can probably be outweighed by the quality the standalone amp gives.
HEK is not HE6(which takes significant power to drive properly). I have not had issue of Mojo's amp's driveability of full-sized planars, but refinement of the sound in particular is separate aspect in performance. I'm trying to find out how well refined the HEK can get, and I will need to compare in order to realize.

I'm welling to try out Rupert Neve, but it's an amp, and will need to determine the right DAC for it. I'm not looking to spend significant amount for a DAC(PS Audio is way out of my budget), and looking to find a good value of performance to price DAC to feed to Rupert Neve to realize(if it's there) the better refinement, resolution, and overall quality of sound.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #9,665 of 14,702
Out of the box, even driven out of Mojo, I was quite happy with what I was hearing. Even at first listen it really grabbed me, and I think HEK has that kind of effect due to it's clarity, smoothness, and cleanliness in it's sound. If I compare to something like Mr Spearks Ether C open, HEK sounds like what I'd expect of headphones at the top, but open's mids is a bit congested losing clarity(I think's bass really messes up the mids), which disappointed me of Mr Speakers. Aeons wasn't particularly special ether.

The bass on the HEK is separated from the mids to treble, creating a clarity. And interestingly it rumbles(and can rumble in a mild manner, which I was taken by, which makes it seem a bit precise in it's rumble ability) and feels spacey and how it's presented due to the large cups.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #9,666 of 14,702
Anybody tried one of these? RME ADI-2 Pro?
rme-adi-2-pro.jpg

Dec 2, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #9,667 of 14,702
HEK is not HE6(which takes significant power to drive properly). I have not had issue of Mojo's amp's driveability of full-sized planars, but refinement of the sound in particular is separate aspect in performance. I'm trying to find out how well refined the HEK can get, and I will need to compare in order to realize.

I'm welling to try out Rupert Neve, but it's an amp, and will need to determine the right DAC for it. I'm not looking to spend significant amount for a DAC(PS Audio is way out of my budget), and looking to find a good value of performance to price DAC to feed to Rupert Neve to realize(if it's there) the better refinement, resolution, and overall quality of sound.

My bad I thought you asked a question if Mojo would be better with a quality standalone amp. More powerful amp is not needed for playing louder it’s for drive the HEK well.

Dec 2, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #9,668 of 14,702
Man, these are fantastic sounding! I'm joining in, just got a pair.

about the hek needing power..well..this is my experience..i now use a very powerful headphone amp with high end sound quality and i can confirm: the better the amp the better the hek sounds..and it looks like there is no roof to what the hek is capable off...it scales hugely well..but the hek v1 did needed to be foam modded and needed the newer v2 pads...those help a lot..

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #9,669 of 14,702
I don’t know I just figure as I have scaled up in equipment the HEK became better and better. The RNHP has a very low noise floor, so if you’re looking for a DAC to go with the RNHP I believe you need one that has very low noise floor like PS DS, experimentation with DACs is very important or go to the secondary mkt to pick up a nice preowned DAC. The Schiit Multibit Gungir or Bifrost might be good matches. PSA Stellar DAC 1699.00,
What about this https://www.audiogon.com/listings/d...z-dsd-dop-decoder-with-usb-2017-12-02-digital or this
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-schiit-audio-yggdrasil-2017-12-02-digital
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-dac-pre-amp-with-remote-2017-11-13-digital
Hade nothing better to do so took a quick look.

Dec 2, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #9,670 of 14,702
I don’t know I just figure as I have scaled up in equipment the HEK became better and better. The RNHP has a very low noise floor, so if you’re looking for a DAC to go with the RNHP I believe you need one that has very low noise floor like PS DS, experimentation with DACs is very important or go to the secondary mkt to pick up a nice preowned DAC. The Schiit Multibit Gungir or Bifrost might be good matches. PSA Stellar DAC 1699.00,
What about this https://www.audiogon.com/listings/d...z-dsd-dop-decoder-with-usb-2017-12-02-digital or this
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-schiit-audio-yggdrasil-2017-12-02-digital
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-dac-pre-amp-with-remote-2017-11-13-digital
Hade nothing better to do so took a quick look.
That's perfectly fine. :) Keep the recommendations of more reachable or reasonably priced ones DACs coming(although I'd like some comparisons of them or would be nice for reasons of why particular ones are recommended). Thank you. :smile_phones:

If anybody know of good places to read about DAC recommendations or large comparisons of various DACs?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #9,671 of 14,702
Thx sounds like a good option. Any feedback on the utopia vs the he 1000

I did not have a chance to compare them side by side, but from my limited listening experience (on completely different rigs) I would say both HEK (v1, v2) felt more spacious with more subbass impact. HEKs soundstage was also more expansive and more diffuse. Utopia felt more closed in but with excellent pinpoint imaging. Both HEKs and Utopia sounded more or less neutral and reasonably natural to me. In my opinion all these headphones are well resolving (V2 sounded slightly clearer to me vs V1, especially in bass) but Utopia somewhat throws details in your face and thus may appear as the most detailed from the bunch. Of course A-B comparison on the same rig with the same tracks would be needed and here some other users with experience could chime in. My subjective score regarding sound quality: HEK v2 96%, Utopia 96%, HEK v1 95%.
Regarding ergonomics both HEKs felt more comfortable than Utopia. Best build quality had Utopia, then HEK v2 and third place went to HEK v1.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #9,672 of 14,702
I did not have a chance to compare them side by side, but from my limited listening experience (on completely different rigs) I would say both HEK (v1, v2) felt more spacious with more subbass impact. HEKs soundstage was also more expansive and more diffuse. Utopia felt more closed in but with excellent pinpoint imaging. Both HEKs and Utopia sounded more or less neutral and reasonably natural to me. In my opinion all these headphones are well resolving (V2 sounded slightly clearer to me vs V1, especially in bass) but Utopia somewhat throws details in your face and thus may appear as the most detailed from the bunch. Of course A-B comparison on the same rig with the same tracks would be needed and here some other users with experience could chime in. My subjective score regarding sound quality: HEK v2 96%, Utopia 96%, HEK v1 95%.
Regarding ergonomics both HEKs felt more comfortable than Utopia. Best build quality had Utopia, then HEK v2 and third place went to HEK v1.

I sold my Utopia and kept my HEKv2. I agree with most of the above comparison - if anything I would put the Utopia ahead of the HEKv2 for detail resolution. However, it is also a very forward sounding headphone and somewhat bright to my ears. The presentation is attack, attack, attack all the time. Some folks like that - I don't. I find it fatiguing and it doesn't suit my musical tastes. The HEKv2 is a much more relaxed headphone.

If I was into EDM or metal of something like that it would be a much better match, but I'm not, so the Utopia was not for me.

As always, YMMV.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #9,673 of 14,702
My bad I thought you asked a question if Mojo would be better with a quality standalone amp. More powerful amp is not needed for playing louder it’s for drive the HEK well.
It's not just about loudness. What I mean by driveability, means properly driven. Sure, I can achieve loudness with my AK240 portable, but it doesn't sound as driven properly as the Mojo.

What I experience if the headphones are not properly driven, but can get loud is uneven frequency response, reduced bass and spacial sound ability. I've also heard LCD when not driven properly with shouty mids.

Also, a headphone can be driven properly with dynamics, and good punch, but doesn't mean it sounds as refined from a source that outputs are more refined sound. Perhaps it's the DAC section of the Mojo, or the amp section, but I'd rather compare to a different DAC -amp combination than to amp the Mojo already as it is, as it sounds like the HEK is driven properly(not only in terms of loudness). perhaps I'm wrong, I maybe missing that 5% or 10% in proper drive-ability possible with a more powerful amp, but I cannot detect Mojo not driving it at a proper level as of now, sounds fine. HE-6 is difficult to drive, and it's pretty obvious if I try to drive it from a Mojo compared to a high powered amp.

A question I would need to break is, does Mojo with a more powerful amp able to refine the sound, or just push the driveability greater since you are amping the output of the Mojo's amp. Given HEK sounds to be driven right from a Mojo, it just makes sense to try a different source and amp altogether to realize better refinement(if it perceptively shows) rather than slightly more driveability in the sound(if there are with double amping the Mojo).

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #9,674 of 14,702
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #9,675 of 14,702
I sold my Utopia and kept my HEKv2. I agree with most of the above comparison - if anything I would put the Utopia ahead of the HEKv2 for detail resolution. However, it is also a very forward sounding headphone and somewhat bright to my ears. The presentation is attack, attack, attack all the time. Some folks like that - I don't. I find it fatiguing and it doesn't suit my musical tastes. The HEKv2 is a much more relaxed headphone.

If I was into EDM or metal of something like that it would be a much better match, but I'm not, so the Utopia was not for me.

As always, YMMV.
I've demod the utopia , I agree bright. Unfortunately my only option to demo a hek is a rental for about $150 from the cable co store. I'd luv to try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back