Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 15, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #5,056 of 14,727

Was an in-store demo so don't really know but they have had it about 12 days now I think. I waited an extra week to let it burn in but couldn't wait any longer, had to go and listen.

I went back to a2a (which I believe the same store that you visited) today to compare my pair (about 250hrs) to their demo pair. Me and two of the attendances listened to  Nirvana - Come As You Are and Stan Getz - The Girl From Ipanema from Liquid Gold and AK380. We heard the difference between our two pair. My pair seem have better "transient" and definition. The cymbal on the left channel of the Nirvana track seem have more definition. It sound more cleaner while the demo one seem more "splashy". Soundstage also more defined at my pair and it show on Stan Getz track, when Astrud Gilberto start singing with bass at the background. With demo pair, it sound like she play the bass herself, while on my pair, bass sound behind her. It sound like the demo one, soundstage was being brought forward and "crash" together somehow, not much separation, which what I remember when my pair sound out of the box till about two days or so. Bass was tighter on my pair too.

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #5,058 of 14,727

Why not just name the name of the player, instead of telling us how much it cost?  Was there a point in that?

He really loves to brag about his supposed high end gear and seems to be on a mission to try and save head-fi plebs from the impending doom that is sure to come by not spending $5k+ on a source.

Read this ridiculousness ---->  http://www.head-fi.org/t/769832/companies-that-take-advantage-of-audio-enthusiasts/30#post_11751415

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #5,059 of 14,727

He really loves to brag about his supposed high end gear and seems to be on a mission to try and save head-fi plebs from the impending doom that is sure to come by not spending $5k+ on a source.

Read this ridiculousness ---->  http://www.head-fi.org/t/769832/companies-that-take-advantage-of-audio-enthusiasts/30#post_11751415

It is not absolutely necessary to spend $5K+ on a source, but to make headphones like HE1000 and SR009 shine, the brands that I named in post #5046 of this thread are your best bet. Again, if you plan on spending good money on a source, please skip Schitt and iRiver. I do have a mission to make sure people who spend north of $3K don't spend it on an iRiver, although the freedom is yours. The subtle difference that it makes on IEMs is simply not worth it (if even there was a a clear but minimal improvement over the Hugo or AK240 I can understand - but it is doubtful), and if used to drive full size headphones (via separate amp), it competes directly to desktop amps in that price range like Antelope Zodiac Gold and Weiss DAC 202, making it totally worthless in comparison.

I think it is ridiculous to deem all AK380 bashers as people who are "not their target market", yet become defensive when I point out that there are lots of gear out there much better (and much more expensive) than the petty iRiver AK380. I did not intend to brag - compared with spending $3500 on an iRiver, which, to me, is like throwing money into the sea, buying an Esoteric player at $20K is a bargain.

I do hope people can enjoy the HE1000 to its full. With better source gear, for example, it became very clear that the HE1000 is a superior headphone to the HD800 in almost every aspect, while with mediocre source (I tried using the AK240 and AK380), the HE1000 sounded closer to the LCD-3 to me and the advantage in transient response simply isn't there - also in that case, the high frequency details of the HD800 become more prominent, making it sound like having more details than the HE1000. But it does not.

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #5,060 of 14,727
mmm......I think what we're trying to ask you is this: is there any DAP out there that is better than or superior to the AK 380 at a lower or same price point????? The operative word is DAP. That's all. Because  comparing the AK 380 with a desktop-class machine is about as useful  as  comparing a hemorroid to cancer.

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #5,061 of 14,727
  mmm......I think what we're trying to ask you is this: is there any DAP out there that is better than or superior to the AK 380 at a lower or same price point????? The operative word is DAP. That's all. Because  comparing the AK 380 with a desktop-class machine is about as useful  as  comparing a hemorroid to cancer.

Everyone knows that they are not the same thing, and everyone knows AK380 is a DAP, so you don't need to repeat that. My point, as copied verbatim from my post above, is as follows:

The subtle difference that it makes on IEMs is simply not worth it (if even there was a clear but minimal improvement over the Hugo or AK240 I can understand - but it is doubtful), and if used to drive full size headphones (via separate amp), it competes directly to desktop amps in that price range like Antelope Zodiac Gold and Weiss DAC 202, making it totally worthless in comparison.

By the way, I am quite sure most people would prefer hemorrhoid to cancer.

Finally, since we are talking about the HE1000 here, a portable rig or a DAP is at best a halfway solution when one is on a trip, and there is no reason not to consider higher end desktop sources and instead settle for iRiver because of portability - using such a mediocre source would be an insult to a fine headphone such as the HE1000.

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #5,062 of 14,727
Don't know the TOTL DAP market well, have a Pono, getting Norne balanced cables for it (on order), will be able to use it on the balanced output of the Pono and let you know when it comes. I have a Geek Out Special Edition, does well by the HEK (though it's even better line out to my MicroZOTL2), makes me think one of the higher priced Geek Wave models coming out would do well as well, similar technology to the Geek Out V2. The Infinity, say, would be quite a bit less than the 380, I'd bet it gives it a run for it's money (but, it's only conjecture at this point).

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #5,063 of 14,727
Two vocal recordings from a song of Chopin:
HE1000:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4PVx9vNY674eW5HQnlENkprMTg
Orpheus:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4PVx9vNY674ZzFxbWh1ZnRRdWs

I like both of them very much. Choose what you like best..

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #5,065 of 14,727

Everyone knows that they are not the same thing, and everyone knows AK380 is a DAP, so you don't need to repeat that. My point, as copied verbatim from my post above, is as follows:

The subtle difference that it makes on IEMs is simply not worth it (if even there was a clear but minimal improvement over the Hugo or AK240 I can understand - but it is doubtful), and if used to drive full size headphones (via separate amp), it competes directly to desktop amps in that price range like Antelope Zodiac Gold and Weiss DAC 202, making it totally worthless in comparison.

By the way, I am quite sure most people would prefer hemorrhoid to cancer.

Finally, since we are talking about the HE1000 here, a portable rig or a DAP is at best a halfway solution when one is on a trip, and there is no reason not to consider higher end desktop sources and instead settle for iRiver because of portability - using such a mediocre source would be an insult to a fine headphone such as the HE1000.

I find it interesting to read about the comparison to more expensive, well executed equipment. It is an investment I am unable/unwilling to make when it comes to a certain number of zeros but I can live to an extent, vicariously. And it also helps to read differing opinions as there is that balance that often settles as the dust does. I do agree, that the more you can refine the audio signal, for my ears, the HE1000 channel what is upstream, for better or worse and what I term as very revealing and in a way, truthful. They can sound surprisingly good with lower end equipment but so fine the higher you reach in the audio chain. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #5,066 of 14,727
There is definitely equipment out there that is good, better, and more better (and crummy too). The infamous "diminishing returns" kicks in painfully when you get past the $1000 mark for many types of gear, which, as you know, means you can get improvements, but every gain comes with a higher increase of price, so that getting that last 10% improvement in sound can cost multiples of the good gear around that sweet spot. To some, those small improvements make all the difference, some of the sense of live performers lives in that last 10%. But, you can live very nicely in the middle range and still have plenty of enjoyment of your music and gear. Of course, finances play a large part in all of this, but I have known people who have spend much more than a sane person would say they can afford to get that last 10%, or some portion of it.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #5,067 of 14,727
  I do hope people can enjoy the HE1000 to its full. With better source gear, for example, it became very clear that the HE1000 is a superior headphone to the HD800 in almost every aspect, while with mediocre source (I tried using the AK240 and AK380), the HE1000 sounded closer to the LCD-3 to me and the advantage in transient response simply isn't there - also in that case, the high frequency details of the HD800 become more prominent, making it sound like having more details than the HE1000. But it does not.

This is exactly what I heard. Initially I tried it on the WA5, while the LAu/Rag warmed up a bit, and it put a smile on my face, it was clearly better than my LCD3F. It was very stat like but with awesome punchy bass too, was lacking some sparkle in the treble though, as compared to my LCD3F. Within 20 minutes there was some noise, maybe from one of the tubes, so then I moved to the Rag. This is when I started to get confused. It became worse than my LCD3F, no dynamics with distant vocals, very boring. Then I tried the Taurus and LAu and it was slightly better than my LCD3F on these two, but still didn't have that stat like quality as on the WA5 where it was very clean and very detailed. Towards the end I decided to try the WA5 again, thankfully the noise was gone, it sounded great once again. The Rag/Tauras/LAu on the Vega via the AK380 are all not mediocre though so was confused why there was such a difference.

I went back to a2a (which I believe the same store that you visited) today to compare my pair (about 250hrs) to their demo pair. Me and two of the attendances listened to  Nirvana - Come As You Are and Stan Getz - The Girl From Ipanema from Liquid Gold and AK380. We heard the difference between our two pair. My pair seem have better "transient" and definition. The cymbal on the left channel of the Nirvana track seem have more definition. It sound more cleaner while the demo one seem more "splashy". Soundstage also more defined at my pair and it show on Stan Getz track, when Astrud Gilberto start singing with bass at the background. With demo pair, it sound like she play the bass herself, while on my pair, bass sound behind her. It sound like the demo one, soundstage was being brought forward and "crash" together somehow, not much separation, which what I remember when my pair sound out of the box till about two days or so. Bass was tighter on my pair too.

Did you try it on the WA5?
When I was there for 2.5hours, there was no one else there, I was expecting a lineup to listen to it. If it got 5 hours per day usage it might have around 50 hours burn in only. I will go back in a month or so and have another listen, hopefully they will have the Ether and Yggy then too. The treble will have to improve quite a lot before I would consider buying it any time soon though. I hope that it does.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #5,068 of 14,727
Whew this thread is exhausting! Does anyone know if there has been a comparative review by an owner of both the HE-6 and HE-1000? or is still too early for that?
popcorn.gif

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #5,069 of 14,727
Seriously... there's plenty of HE-6 vs HE1000 impressions here or there.... 

For example : http://www.head-fi.org/a/list-of-major-hifiman-he1000-reviews-impressions-and-videos

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #5,070 of 14,727
Did you try it on the WA5?
When I was there for 2.5hours, there was no one else there, I was expecting a lineup to listen to it. If it got 5 hours per day usage it might have around 50 hours burn in only. I will go back in a month or so and have another listen, hopefully they will have the Ether and Yggy then too. The treble will have to improve quite a lot before I would consider buying it any time soon though. I hope that it does.

No, I didn't. The purposed of my visit was only to compare between the my pair and theirs. Actually, i forgot to mentioned that we only used ak380 as a source, and Metrum Pavane as a dac. Though I still prefer the result from my setup, stratus and yggy (edit: maybe it's bias since its my own setup at home)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back