Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 11, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #8,836 of 14,702
  Because of its low efficiency and its price, it probably won't be on my upgrade wishlist, but I remain open minded as to how it will sound.  

FTFY
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #8,838 of 14,702
Thanks John777!

I use the stock cable in the HEKv2 and it seems fine to me with no microphonics and it's very light. It seems flexible enough; I don't notice any excess stiffness. Just my 2 cents.

I quite like the stock HEKv2 cable and will use it happily. I am waiting to see if a re-terminated ALO Audio cable I was using for my HE500s improves the SQ, or not...

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #8,839 of 14,702
Currently have HEK 1000 V2 and a QP1R DAP capable of storing over 400GB of flac files. I like the sound but not enough power to drive the HEK often requiring max volume on high gain setting and clips. So added a iFI micro ican SE. This is a transportable amp with amazing power for a small device and can drive the HEK to higher volumes and has a bass boost switch. Unfortunately, it needs a wall outlet
With no built in battery. This combo sounds good for now as a transportable set up while away or moving room to room on my home but wanting to hear what others have come up with as their best transportable stack, for these cans at any price? The Mojo DAC has rave reviews but not sure can drive the HEK to high enough volume without another amp. Much more expensive DAPS also seem limited with an additional amp further adding to a bulky stack for mobility. I also want to be able to stream the likes of TIDAL eventually when away from home on vacation. Please tell me what options are out there to really get the most out of the HEK. THANKS

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #8,840 of 14,702
Currently have HEK 1000 V2 and a QP1R DAP capable of storing over 400GB of flac files. I like the sound but not enough power to drive the HEK often requiring max volume on high gain setting and clips. So added a iFI micro ican SE. This is a transportable amp with amazing power for a small device and can drive the HEK to higher volumes and has a bass boost switch. Unfortunately, it needs a wall outlet
With no built in battery. This combo sounds good for now as a transportable set up while away or moving room to room on my home but wanting to hear what others have come up with as their best transportable stack, for these cans at any price? The Mojo DAC has rave reviews but not sure can drive the HEK to high enough volume without another amp. Much more expensive DAPS also seem limited with an additional amp further adding to a bulky stack for mobility. I also want to be able to stream the likes of TIDAL eventually when away from home on vacation. Please tell me what options are out there to really get the most out of the HEK. THANKS

Check into this 9v battery-operated amp.  I have no experience with it.

http://plussoundaudio.com/amplifiers/cloudnine.html

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #8,841 of 14,702

Mojo and Hugo do an excellent job driving my HE1000 effortlessly. Hugo 2 looks even more promising. HE1000 and DAVE are an end-game pairing in my book, but not transportable (just to show that power isn't an issue, since Mojo and Hugo don't have much less of it). If I were you I would wait for the Hugo 2. Or go for the «cheap» Mojo!

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #8,842 of 14,702

Mojo and Hugo do an excellent job driving my HE1000 effortlessly. Hugo 2 looks even more promising. HE1000 and DAVE are an end-game pairing in my book, but not transportable (just to show that power isn't an issue, since Mojo and Hugo don't have much less of it). If I were you I would wait for the Hugo 2. Or go for the «cheap» Mojo!

+1 for Mojo. It can drive my HE1000 very well although there were times when I felt that the bass is not as tight and rich compared to my desktop amps. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #8,843 of 14,702

+1 for Mojo. It can drive my HE1000 very well although there were times when I felt that the bass is not as tight and rich compared to my desktop amps. 

Equalizing does it all to me, makes the bass fast and impactful, increased upper mids result in fast drum beats – independent of the amp –, although of course the DAVE offers a bit more authority throughout the spectrum, and the Hugo offers a bit more air. An aftermarket cable is mandatory anyway in my book (quite satisfied with my Silver Dragon).

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #8,844 of 14,702

This is an interesting post for me too. I am very luck that my home rig makes the HEK sound truly amazing. I am in the process of buying a new cable too I think . However I would love a DAP that could drive these cans to a decent volume level. I would like to know i any of them can do it without adding an amp. My Sony NWZ1A just does not do it, yet my I pad gets pretty close to the listening volume I like.

I have had my HEK over a year now and I can honestly say I have never enjoyed headphone listening so much. They are fantastic IMO

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #8,845 of 14,702
Haven't found the HEK to do well with the DAPS I've had, mostly the Pono (even got balanced cables for it...will work, but sounds much better using an amp). The MicroZOTL2 works great with the HEK, my go to combo (you look weird walking about in the world with the HEK anyway).

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #8,846 of 14,702
Haven't found the HEK to do well with the DAPS I've had, mostly the Pono (even got balanced cables for it...will work, but sounds much better using an amp). The MicroZOTL2 works great with the HEK, my go to combo (you look weird walking about in the world with the HEK anyway).

That is very true they are not that portable :wink:
It would be for very occasional use as it would be only for bedroom use maybe, so i may have to stick with the sony and portable amp I have already. I would not want to spend a great deal on this.

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #8,850 of 14,702
Having only just bought my HE1000v2, I was amazed at the SQ straight out of the box. And I can drive them direct from my iPad Pro if I don't want to switch my Moon 430HA(D) on.

You must have excellent hearing. Don't abuse your ears like I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back