Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 17, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #811 of 14,702
I think just by the he-1000 design cues maybe this is an indicator to how Hifiman are perhaps looking to price ie it kind of has design "elements" from the Orpheus (other members have agreed with this) and also the Abyss with its squared off frame type headband.

Add that all up in addition to its model name HE-1000 and its nano thick diaphragm and maybe all these indicators suggest that this is going to be an expensive statement headphone?

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #815 of 14,702
Another very good question is if the diaphragm is so thin, won't it have more chances of tearing?

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #817 of 14,702
Another very good question is if the diaphragm is so thin, won't it have more chances of tearing?

You raise a good point - the HE1000 has new technology in it with the ultra thin diaphragm - if there is a reliability problem it might take a while to surface. In a perfect world the product testing would have been very lengthy and thorough prior to release, but you never know.

I am going to be cautious regarding the HE1000. It will be some time before we know the value proposition - price vs performance.

How does the HE1000 stack up against the modded HE6? If it is better, how much better, and does that SQ difference justify the purchase price? All good questions that won't be answered anytime soon.

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #818 of 14,702
Absolutely agree. Acoustics play a major role in live venues. I do prefer very small venues. But for the most part, they're not that great sounding either. Just my .02
I hear this crap so much and its just not true. Most live venue's sound like absolute *****!!! I have only been to a handful of gigs where the sound is better than my home rig and they were all small venues with brilliant acoustics and mostly jazz/acoustic gigs. EDM, rock, pop and the rest sound terrible live because they are mostly in bigger venues. 

I have not been to a gig this year where I would say that the sound comes anywhere near my home rig but yet people keep talking about how great live performances are. 

I would say that 95% of all the live gigs I have been to have lesser sound than my home rig. People need to start being honest about this - live isn't all its cracked up to be. For me its usually a big let down. 

P.S sorry about the aggressive tone. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #819 of 14,702

You raise a good point - the HE1000 has new technology in it with the ultra thin diaphragm - if there is a reliability problem it might take a while to surface. In a perfect world the product testing would have been very lengthy and thorough prior to release, but you never know.

I am going to be cautious regarding the HE1000. It will be some time before we know the value proposition - price vs performance.

How does the HE1000 stack up against the modded HE6? If it is better, how much better, and does that SQ difference justify the purchase price? All good questions that won't be answered anytime soon.

Here are some pretty good impressions from New York.  Seeming to match what others are saying.  If this is not good enough the next best thing is to hear them for yourself and make the necessary decisions then.

Tuesday afternoon I packed up the modded HE-6, modded HE-560, Audio gd Master 7, AMR DP-777, and F1J and eagerly drove an hour and a half to the Trump Soho hotel to hear the HE1000. A Head-Fi buddy of mine (thegunner100) met me outside, and as we entered the room the faces of Fang and two other Head-fiers with him seemed to say, what is all this you have here? After setting up we began listening. 

I gotta say, I was very disappointed with the HE1000 for two reasons. First, Fang seems to be leaning towards pricing these at around $3000 with a pimped out limited edition run priced at around $5000. Second, I couldn't leave with one that very night. I would have loved the opportunity to take one home with me where I could explore their capabilities for a few weeks.

Impression: I have no problem with their look or size. They didn't seem as big as they looked in the photos I've seen and to be honest once I started listening I didn't care about their appearance (Fang mentioned that there was an error in the production, and the metal was supposed to be Satin rather than glossy). They are quite light and very comfortable. On my F1J amp I was surprised that the HE1000 barely played any louder than my HE-6, however it played much louder on the EF1000 than the HE-6 at the same volume setting. The thing that stood out to me the most was the bass. It was noticeably fuller and had more impact than the HE-6. It did have a more HD800 like out of your head sound. On top it seemed a bit more extended and resolving. I really can't comment on the mids as I feel I would need more time to decipher the difference.  Recently I told a buddy I wish they made a headphone with the resolving power of the HD800, the great organic mids of the HE-6 and the full bodied deep and impactful bass of the Abyss. Somehow it seems Fang was listening in on our conversation because the HE1000 appears to fit the bill perfectly. The HE-6 came the closest to my ideal headphone (which is why I have three and made it my soul headphone) but the HE1000 has me convinced they're about to be replaced. As for the EF1000, I would need more time to compare it to my F1J but it does seem like its more than capable of driving these two headphones to marvelous heights. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #820 of 14,702
So how many have actually listened to the HE-1000
wink.gif
?

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1281733/dr-bian-fang-he-1000-prototype-nyc-mini-meet-01-2015/sort/display_order/
900x900px-LL-bee902f2_HifiManEF1000-1014416.jpeg

900x900px-LL-6ab3a3ab_HifiManEF1000-1014415.jpeg

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #822 of 14,702

Here are some pretty good impressions from New York.  Seeming to match what others are saying.  If this is not good enough the next best thing is to hear them for yourself and make the necessary decisions then.

Interesting read - thanks for posting that
smile.gif

That sounds extremely promising, but I would want to hear the thoughts of multiple sources before taking the plunge. Given where I reside a "try before you buy" might not be possible.

For now I am very happy playing with my WA5 and modded HE6 / HD800 and other toys. No need to rush into the HE1000.

2015 could be a very big year with high end products from HiFiMan, Audeze and (perhaps) Sennheiser also.

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #823 of 14,702

Interesting read - thanks for posting that
smile.gif

That sounds extremely promising, but I would want to hear the thoughts of multiple sources before taking the plunge. Given where I reside a "try before you buy" might not be possible.

For now I am very happy playing with my WA5 and modded HE6 / HD800 and other toys. No need to rush into the HE1000.

2015 could be a very big year with high end products from HiFiMan, Audeze and (perhaps) Sennheiser also.

Hoping to hear from the attendees here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back