Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 8, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #2,912 of 14,805
If you really love both and can't decide which one is better, I'd go for the Audeze if it's a thousand bucks cheaper.  Might as well if you'd be happy with either...

That headphone store looks like somebody's living room... somebody with lots of headphones

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #2,913 of 14,805
I was there for 6 hours the first time and 6 the second time before deciding on the lcd x. I was planning on going back in a couple of months but it might be a couple of weeks.

They walk you in, make you coffee and leave you to play with whatever you want only to re-appear to offer you another drink. I can't say enough good things about the ownership and the environment they offer - really the perfect headphone shop.

They will be getting the he-1000 as soon as they can.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #2,914 of 14,805
  Had a good few hours with both the other week.

Love them both. I don't think the stax is technically 4 times better and no way 4 times more enjoyable. But yeah I love them both. I've really fallen in love with Audeze.

This is the dealer that will be getting the he-1000's in:

I plan on doing a review for them so everyone in the UK knows how good they are. It's like the Disney world for headphones. They have EVERYTHING.

Wow, this is like the perfect store for testing several headphones. 
eek.gif

The customer service you have told us about also seems like the kindest possible way it could be.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #2,915 of 14,805
Wait, I thought you said the LCD3.  I prefer the X too personally and the X would probably be more suitable for your o2 amp than the 3.
HE-1000, who knows.  I would speculate it would scale as well as the 3 with better amplification, but yeah, that's just speculation.

Sounds like a great store.  Would be dangerous to live near it though because you know who'll be getting all your money for the next 10 years....

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #2,916 of 14,805
Yeah I went with the x but the 3 was close for different reasons. A year ago I'd laugh if someone said I'd be paying that much for one pair - now I'm very close to getting both.

If the hifiman is as they say - they may be the third

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #2,918 of 14,805
  Had a good few hours with both the other week.

Love them both. I don't think the stax is technically 4 times better and no way 4 times more enjoyable. But yeah I love them both. I've really fallen in love with Audeze.

This is the dealer that will be getting the he-1000's in:

I plan on doing a review for them so everyone in the UK knows how good they are. It's like the Disney world for headphones. They have EVERYTHING.

I'm doubting betweeen HE1000 and LCD-XC as well but as my previous experiences with planars were far from good I'd love to find a place to try them out.
Is that Nootingham in the UK you live? So the dealer would be in the UK as well?
Could you give me a link to their website? I wouldn't mind crossing the canal and go and buy one there after a demo if their service is that great.
There's no dealer to go and try anything serious in my monkey country anyway, might as well spend my money with people who make an effort.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #2,919 of 14,805
The he-1000 will be going up against the lcd-x with the peak/volcano. I love the sound of the X but it has very little headroom on the peak. I'm hoping the he-1000 will have a little more headroom than the X and I already know the weight drop will be a welcome feature as well as the leather headband strap. I just hope the cable connectors are much improved and it looks like they are. Sound means the most to me but comfort is a close second. I'm not a fan of the "blingy" he-1000 look, but looks is a distant third if # 1 and 2 are met. I def. like the looks of the X more especially with my brown leather headband and earpads. There is something about the black on brown and metal on leather that has a desireable contrast to it. I also preferred the sound of the X over the 3c and 3f.

The audeze's have better comfort for me than the uncomfortable he-500 and he-6 but I would still describe their comfort as mid level compared to the comfortable d7k, th-600, hd800 and 007mk2  

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #2,920 of 14,805
It's in bedford UK actually so it takes me about 2 hours train or car.

http://www.hifilounge.co.uk/

Many people grab a hotel and get two - three days worth of listening before making a decision. The owners actually encourage it.

The guy there (Paul) said he was all about high-end speaks before headphones - then he heard the sr-009's and the rest is history.

They are at the other end of the spectrum in comparison to your average pushy hifi outlets. Again, I plan to do a small write up and posting it in several threads for those that have their eyes on certain headphones.

I believe he's actually pre-ordered the he-1000's

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #2,922 of 14,805
Really. That store is dreamy. I want to move in.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #2,923 of 14,805
  It's in bedford UK actually so it takes me about 2 hours train or car.

http://www.hifilounge.co.uk/

Many people grab a hotel and get two - three days worth of listening before making a decision. The owners actually encourage it.

The guy there (Paul) said he was all about high-end speaks before headphones - then he heard the sr-009's and the rest is history.

They are at the other end of the spectrum in comparison to your average pushy hifi outlets. Again, I plan to do a small write up and posting it in several threads for those that have their eyes on certain headphones.

I believe he's actually pre-ordered the he-1000's

I can't thank you enough for that address. Although it'll cost me a small fortune if I go in there I'll save heaps because of not having to buy it all to try that.

I'll send them a mail to keep me informed when  they have the HE-1000 on hand.
Then I'll take a few days off work, book me a nice little room in an inn where they serve a decent pint of Guinness and spend a few days there to try out what I need to hear before I buy.
He has just about everything I want to hear but wouldn't buy just to try out because of the price and money I would lose when trying to sell it off again.
Being able to compare my LA-900 with the new top models of Stax, Audeze and Hifiman, all of which my previous experiences were not satisfying enough with will be for me what Disneyland is for kids.
Who knows, a nice ortho or an SR-009 in my stable might just become a reality again.

It'll be a five hours drive one way for me, not that bad. That is if I don't crash into those crazy Brits driving on the wrong side of the road. 
biggrin.gif

Once more, thank you for the invaluable tip!

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #2,925 of 14,805
  You're welcome.

Pfff - 5 hours is nothing in comparison to the countless hours you'll get from new headphones you enjoy.

I'll make it my business to make everyone aware of what kind of service these guys offer.

You should do that, shops like that are word all the mout tho mouth publicity they can get.
And so will I once I've been there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back