HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #9,783 of 21,879

SQ wise yes.  Flexibility wise i would would say not.

It is true, you just do not flex.

This is my cable solid core for the HE500 (Hard Wire). 7N Cryo - 20.8 AWG

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #9,784 of 21,879
  The solid core is better than the twisted wire in every situation.

I agree

SQ wise yes.  Flexibility wise i would would say not.

Yeah that's the predicament I'm in. You can still make it flexible, the problem is finding the right materials to allow for it. My best idea so far is to make it 4 conductor cable, but braid in two strings of empty teflon per side, totalling 8 strands. That should be adequate for reinforcement in a household scenario. Then I'm thinking cotton braid tubing per side, or a thickish clear PVC tubing around the whole thing. My only question with the PVC tubing is, are there any microphonics while using it?

I like the idea of clear PVC tubing, it would look like a nice IV of silver veins feeding the HE-6 its magic cocktail :)

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #9,785 of 21,879
If you put a naked copper conductor in a thin tube, be prepared for fast oxidation. Silver will get black too.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #9,786 of 21,879
If you put a naked copper conductor in a thin tube, be prepared for fast oxidation. Silver will get black too.

The wires are already in teflon tubing, so that's not a worry of mine.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #9,787 of 21,879
I agree

Yeah that's the predicament I'm in. You can still make it flexible, the problem is finding the right materials to allow for it. My best idea so far is to make it 4 conductor cable, but braid in two strings of empty teflon per side, totalling 8 strands. That should be adequate for reinforcement in a household scenario. Then I'm thinking cotton braid tubing per side, or a thickish clear PVC tubing around the whole thing. My only question with the PVC tubing is, are there any microphonics while using it?

I like the idea of clear PVC tubing, it would look like a nice IV of silver veins feeding the HE-6 its magic cocktail :)
I'm waiting to hear your comments if you do employ the solid core silver. Christmas is coming up and that's my wish list. New wiring throughout and the silver I'm listening to now (balanced ICs) I am enjoying.

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #9,788 of 21,879
For those who know and have had both, when driven by a vintage amp, either from headphone out or speaker taps, what percentage would you say the HE-6 is better than the HE-500? I'm considering one or the other and could save a lot staying with the 500.

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #9,789 of 21,879

It is true, you just do not flex.

This is my cable solid core for the HE500 (Hard Wire). 7N Cryo - 20.8 AWG

Nice snake! A quick glance at your username and I am not surprised. 
normal_smile .gif

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #9,791 of 21,879
For those who know and have had both, when driven by a vintage amp, either from headphone out or speaker taps, what percentage would you say the HE-6 is better than the HE-500? I'm considering one or the other and could save a lot staying with the 500.

The % difference and $ difference between the two is too subjective to even guess at the matter, especially without knowing what particular amps you have in mind. There is one fact though, the HE-6 scales much, much higher than the HE-500 does. I would encourage you to rent one from the headphone lending library and take it to your nearest HiFi shop for half a day with your favorite tunes, sleep on it and make your decision from there.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #9,792 of 21,879
i have problems with solid core.
very strange situation.
my he-500 sounds good with my beta and with the hifiman occ cable(no noise at all)
with the norseaudio norn that is litz i hear, without music, noises

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #9,793 of 21,879
  i have problems with solid core.
very strange situation.
my he-500 sounds good with my beta and with the hifiman occ cable(no noise at all)
with the norseaudio norn that is litz i hear, without music, noises

Well, with all due respect, that has nothing to do with solid core and everything to do with the materials used to wrap it.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #9,794 of 21,879
  Well, with all due respect, that has nothing to do with solid core and everything to do with the materials used to wrap it.

Really?then it is even more strange because the norn is up-occ copper and the hifiman cable is  up-occ copper too
i don´t understand anything but i know that is the cable because when i put the norn in my jvc dx-1000 i had the same problem.
from my memory, i had the same problem with the stock cable of the grado ps-1000

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #9,795 of 21,879
  Really?then it is even more strange because the norn is up-occ copper and the hifiman cable is  up-occ copper too
i don´t understand anything but i know that is the cable because when i put the norn in my jvc dx-1000 i had the same problem.
from my memory, i had the same problem with the stock cable of the grado ps-1000

Yes that correct. Since you have experienced this issue before with the same cable, and a grado cable, the term for is "microphonics"

I can't seem to find a good video of cable microphonics, but here is a good one of tube microphonics which is similar. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAF42EwLzks

Essentially, when you rub the cable against something and it makes a sound, it is acting as a microphone which is really bad. Hence the term, microphonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back