HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 22, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #21,106 of 21,868
Which is why I didn't take his reviews seriously. He would refer to that graph like that's how he hears it, and now he's using GRAS. Same for DMS. His rig would show recess where a headphone that does the opposite where his rig shows recess and he would point out that he hears that recess, but in reality, it's emphasized there. This is what I have issues with those measurements. What I hear tend to agree with more accurate raw measurements.

Yea that makes sense and understand where you are coming from no doubt. Again for me its just a point of reference visually when I find something I like I can document it and go back to it, as long as its consistent I can always work with that, even if not super accurate :)

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #21,109 of 21,868
It's interesting how mid focused HE-6 actually sounds. I went to HD800S and I immediately noticed how the definition was mainly in the treble.

I would not call HE6 mid focused. The bass and treble is equally presented with my HE6.

Dec 26, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #21,111 of 21,868
Don't wanna skip through 1408 pages now. Is the HE-6 a good headphone for listening to edm/charts/electronic music? How big is the difference to an Abyss Phi Tc?
Yes if you drive it sufficiently with enough juice to get good bass impact and quality. I found a flaw with Phi Tc. The mids sounded pulled back. so, at that kind of money I expect better leveled mids, and of course much much more.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #21,112 of 21,868
Has anyone installed Dekoni Hifiman sheepskin pads?

I've had a pair forever on various sets, and I just threw them on my HE-6SE. Believe it or not, I am preferring them over the exalted Dan Clark Audio Ether Angled pads that seem to be ubiquitous on the HE-6.

They're a centimeter or two thinner than the DCA angled pads, but evenly on both sides (they appear to have the same angle). The headstage may be reduced slightly, but I noticed the bottom end warmed up wonderfully and it's not nearly as tizzy as the DCA pads. Everything's crystal clear in the trebles, but it never gets too hot like it would with the DCA pads (and perforated Ori pads even more so). The bass might come across as a little slower, but I think it's appreciably larger in size, so I find it an overall more enjoyable listen.

I put the DCA angled pads on my HE-5 (which previously wore the Dekoni pads), and I found that to actually have better synergy than they did on the HE-6SE. The headstage improved considerably, the bass was very tight and lithe (and very slammy), and the extra air on top which may have made the HE-6SE a little intense actually benefitted the treble profile of the HE-5.

I also have the velour version of the Dekoni Hifiman pads, and I've felt that they're similar to the sheepskin with perhaps a very slight upper treble rolloff, but a fairly significant low bass rolloff. Great for tightening up grumbly headphones, but not something I'm interested in hearing with the HE-6SE.

Has anyone else tried this pad?

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #21,114 of 21,868
Hi, for those who own or have extensive listen on the Hifiman headphones, how would you rank them base on sound quality only?

Just some quick thoughts on the ones I own. I’ll rank them for what I prioritize, as opposed to “sound quality”. I prioritize dynamics, slam and sonic character. I also EQ quite a bit when necessary, or just to mess around. With all of these I usually add a small low bass shelf +3 dB usually.

1. HE-6 (4-screw EP) - most dynamic, with the right pads super enjoyable, in your face, incredible slam w/ the right sources/amps. Mismatched and underpowered can sound thin, bright and not very enjoyable. Modding is almost certainly required, at minimum, removing the fiberglass and foam backing. Pads make a huge difference here.

2. HE1K (v2) - more forgiving, good all-rounder, large and big sound, a bit warmer, very airy, not as dynamic (none of the modern day HFMs are). Slight 8k peak but generally not bothersome to me. Technically the most superior out of the ones I own w/ the most agreeable tonality, super comfy for long periods of time.

3. HE-4 - the most unique sounding, good slam for a single sided magnet although a bit thin and certainly more v-shaped. Can sound odd at times, bright, weird tonal character but really cool sounding at the same time. Probably the hardest to find alongside the wood HE-5 of the older generations.

4. HE-500 (w/ velpads) - best mids of the bunch, warmer sound, thick and full sounding, certainly less technically capable than say the HE6 but very enjoyable regardless. Usually a daily driver.

My pad choices are:
HE6 - stock velour, DCA ether suede, velpads, ahg th900 sheepskin pads.
HE1k- stock
HE4 - HFM pleather with foam ring to make them deeper
HE500 - velpads

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #21,115 of 21,868
Just some quick thoughts, I’ll rank them for what I prioritize, as opposed to “sound quality”. I prioritize dynamics, slam and sonic character.

1. HE-6 (4-screw EP) - most dynamic, with the right pads super enjoyable, in your face, incredible slam w/ the right sources/amps. Mismatched and underpowered can sound thin, bright and not very enjoyable. Modding is almost certainly required, at minimum, removing the fiberglass and foam backing. Pads make a huge difference here.

2. HE1K (v2) - more forgiving, good all-rounder, large and big sound, a bit warmer, not as dynamic (none of the modern day HFMs are). Slight 8k peak but generally not bothersome to me. Technically the most superior out of the ones I own w/ the most agreeable tonality, super comfy for long periods of time.

3. HE-4 - the most unique sounding, good slam for a single sided magnet although a bit thin and certainly more v-shaped. Can sound odd at times, bright, weird tonal character but really cool sounding at the same time. Probably the hardest to find alongside the wood HE-5 of the older generations.

4. HE-500 (w/ velpads) - best mids of the bunch, warmer sound, thick and full sounding, certainly less technically capable than say the HE6 but very enjoyable regardless. Usually a daily driver.

Thank you!

I suspect the HE-6 and HE500 would be up there.

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #21,117 of 21,868
Hi, for those who own or have extensive listen on the Hifiman headphones, how would you rank them base on sound quality only?

My mod* He6 is the most fun headphone I have owned, and it’s not because it has a warm or u-shaped sound (the opposite). It’s the PRaT or liveliness, if you like that description better, together with its transient speed, wonderful bass, stripped sound (lifelike) and sweet treble that makes it so enjoyable that you just want to tap your feet and listen more to all kind of music. Other headphones like HE1000se can do some things a bit better (bigger, more transparent etc.), but in the right system a mod HE6 seems to be the last man standing, at least for me.

Besides HE6 I also own HE1000se, LCD4 and LCD3 and have owned HE1000v2, HE560 and HE500 from Hifiman.

*HE6 6-screw version from 2014, homemade grill without any mesh, aftermarket cable and Audeze vegan pads.

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #21,118 of 21,868
I've been listening to hip-hop today, and the bass is nice for that too! Very fun with hip-hop. Imagine an open-back with such type of bass.

I've been liking the ADCOM GFA-545, but I am using Goldpoint passive preamp with it. I think Goldpoint is legit, but excessively expensive. It just tells me how important volume attenuator is for sound quality.

545 works fairly good with HE-6, but doesn't work for HD800S (too much gain with noise, and sounds kinda flat). 545 seems to be on the warm side, but not too excessive.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #21,119 of 21,868
I've been listening to hip-hop today, and the bass is nice for that too! Very fun with hip-hop. Imagine an open-back with such type of bass.

I've been liking the ADCOM GFA-545, but I am using Goldpoint passive preamp with it. I think Goldpoint is legit, but excessively expensive. It just tells me how important volume attenuator is for sound quality.

545 works fairly good with HE-6, but doesn't work for HD800S (too much gain with noise, and sounds kinda flat). 545 seems to be on the warm side, but not too excessive.

I was always curious about the ADCOMs, have not had a chance to listen to it but have heard its a good pairing. I've been going back and forth between my Bryston 3B-ST & Pioneer SA-8800, really different sounding amps that compliment each other well. I am waiting for a new tinned ends to XLR cable for the Pioneer so have been using the phones out (which according to the service manual has 330 ohm resistors) so I'm curious what the sound difference will be if any between the phones and taps. I get no noise or hums from the phones out on my HFM cans, but all my Senns have a big hum.

I use a JBL MPatch 2 as a passive pre, really like the volume knob on that guy lol. Yea my friend was trying to find a used Goldpoint for a while without much luck.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #21,120 of 21,868
SA8800.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back