HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 1, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #12,483 of 21,868
  Hey guy, as you know Al & I had a mini meet today. I've been on the hunt for a great amp for my HE-6 so I've been trying everything I can get my hands on. We listened to and compared the Krell KAV-400xi, Aragon 8008, First Watt F3 and J2 with the MSB, AMR DP-777, and the Lampizator Gen 4 level 5 DAC's. 

I left our meet frustrated because both the FW amps clipped on our classical music test track and lacked the bass presence and slam of the other amps. In contrast the other amps lacked the stat like resolving power of the FW amps, so  I was loving there bass and fuller sound but missing the lit up sound of the FW. Can the F5 be any better?
I don't understand how Darryl can get away with an F1J.

Ok, I hope this will be sorted out because I've got an F3 on the way and will be seriously disappointed if it doesn't do well with classical, which is the only genre I listen to. But I've got a hard time understanding how the FW amps could be doing very well for some people (who certainly know their stuff) into the HE-6 and not with others (same thing applies). 

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #12,484 of 21,868
Not picking but maybe there interpretation
Is incorrect. Or maybe they do not 6 amps to try.
This is what have done to learn for myself

Al

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #12,485 of 21,868
  Hey guy, as you know Al & I had a mini meet today. I've been on the hunt for a great amp for my HE-6 so I've been trying everything I can get my hands on. We listened to and compared the Krell KAV-400xi, Aragon 8008, First Watt F3 and J2 with the MSB, AMR DP-777, and the Lampizator Gen 4 level 5 DAC's. 

I left our meet frustrated because both the FW amps clipped on our classical music test track and lacked the bass presence and slam of the other amps. In contrast the other amps lacked the stat like resolving power of the FW amps, so  I was loving there bass and fuller sound but missing the lit up sound of the FW. Can the F5 be any better?

Using a test track Craig sent me.  I'm hearing the Bass strikes I think you guys are talking about.  After playing it 10 times straight I find the F1J is handling the bass really well.  Not sure how much more bass you guys are looking for.  The track is a good solid one that's for sure, nice peaks and those bass strikes are on point.

What CD did this come off.  I would like to rip the CD myself.

At what volume level did you have the AMR on when playing?

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #12,486 of 21,868
  Ok, I hope this will be sorted out because I've got an F3 on the way and will be seriously disappointed if it doesn't do well with classical, which is the only genre I listen to. But I've got a hard time understanding how the FW amps could be doing very well for some people (who certainly know their stuff) into the HE-6 and not with others (same thing applies). 

As well know "all" classical music does not emphasize bass that much.  I have lots of David Chesky, 2L Nordic Sound and Sterophile Editor's Choice test music both high res and red book.  

I haven't ran into one issue with my amp.  From Classical Orchestras, Jazz Orchestras to the hardest hitting Hip Hop / Rap music.  It handles them all very well.  

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #12,487 of 21,868

As well know "all" classical music does not emphasize bass that much.  I have lots of David Chesky, 2L Nordic Sound and Sterophile Editor's Choice test music both high res and red book.  

I haven't ran into one issue with my amp.  From Classical Orchestras, Jazz Orchestras to the hardest hitting Hip Hop / Rap music.  It handles them all very well.  

Yeah no issues here either, and the F5 is more than 2x the output of the F1J too. That makes you, potterma, dubstep girl, me and some others I can't think of that are satisfied. Something is fishy. Oh well, atleast you guys found something you are happy with.

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #12,488 of 21,868
When you say no issues , what does that mean ?

If it is about clipping that is not the real issue we heard. The real issue is the sound is to bright . You might not notice it is until it is compared to an amp that drives them better. If anyone who has the FW amps other than the F5 has access to a woo wa5 it will be obvious . And please do not take offense to my statement I am not meaning to offend or pretend I know more than others here . It is mealy an observation we have heard. .
Al

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #12,489 of 21,868

Using a test track Craig sent me.  I'm hearing the Bass strikes I think you guys are talking about.  After playing it 10 times straight I find the F1J is handling the bass really well.  Not sure how much more bass you guys are looking for.  The track is a good solid one that's for sure, nice peaks and those bass strikes are on point.

What CD did this come off.  I would like to rip the CD myself.

At what volume level did you have the AMR on when playing?

The track came from one of Al's CDs. We mainly used the Lampi and MSB stack. The volume varied but it was probable a little louder than normal, you know when you play music a little louder for evaluating.

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #12,490 of 21,868
"No issues" as in bass light, bright and clipping. Something isn't right, even when you say the less powerful WA5 doesn't exhibit clipping. You have a sub-optimal preamp/gain configuration somewhere, it's not the power output of the amps.

Al

My woo WA5 sounds fine with the he6. I think it is rated at 10 watts at 8 ohms. So why is this ok ?

Al

If clipping is the issue as you claim, then why isn't it happening on a 10w @8 ohm amp vs the First Watt F3 and J2 25w @ ohm amp? See the inconsistency here?

I listened to the f3 and j2. And they are not suitable for the he6. And we heard them both clip. And the presentation to me was bright and base light. Craig should chime in on this too. He ended up taking my krell home again to listen to it .

Al

See previous post.

See previous post

Not picking but maybe there interpretation
Is incorrect. Or maybe they do not 6 amps to try.
This is what have done to learn for myself

Al

I think all of us have heard well over 10+ amps.

No issues here either.

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #12,491 of 21,868
It's tel ark cd
Edubook DDD. ERIC KUNZIL
IRS show tunes , superman , Star Wars and such. Very clean detailed recording. But it has some very busy and heavy impact tracks. It s one of my reef. Cd,s I use .
Craig listens louder than I do. , but the tonal change is obvious at lower volumes. As for the clipping it was obvious too. But only on a loud passage. Now I can see people likening the F3 as is. It was very detailed even the bass was very clean. But the whole presentation. Was just light .

Al

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #12,492 of 21,868

If it is about clipping that is not the real issue we heard. The real issue is the sound is to bright . You might not notice it is until it is compared to an amp that drives them better. If anyone who has the FW amps other than the F5 has access to a woo wa5 it will be obvious . And please do not take offense to my statement I am not meaning to offend or pretend I know more than others here . It is mealy an observation we have heard. .
Al

Have your heard the F1 or F1J

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #12,494 of 21,868
I feel this is being taken very well. I guess I am a fool and I am fine with that. It's not light with all headphones I am sure. It just is making the overall tone of the he 6 unnaturally light. . They sound like the stax 009. Is that what. HE 6 sounds like. Anyway I a, in NYC. Visit sometime . And when you hear it then there will be three. . My point is who hear saying I am wrong has heard the he 6 on a woo amp or a krell or an amp that is SS that has about 80 watts at 8 ohms. Just a thought . And like I said I am not saying all of you are wrong but I know what I heard. .

Al

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #12,495 of 21,868
I feel this is being taken very well. I guess I am a fool and I am fine with that. It's not light with all headphones I am sure. It just is making the overall tone of the he 6 unnaturally light. . They sound like the stax 009. Is that what. HE 6 sounds like. Anyway I a, in NYC. Visit sometime . And when you hear it then there will be three. . My point is who hear saying I am wrong has heard the he 6 on a woo amp or a krell or an amp that is SS that has about 80 watts at 8 ohms. Just a thought . And like I said I am not saying all of you are wrong but I know what I heard. .

Al

Wanted to ask about the j2 I have never heard the f3 or f1 so cannot comment, but have had the m2 which I thought should be similar in power to the j2. I found the m2 to be pretty beefy with the he6, but maybe I did not challenge it enough. The j2 and m2 present differently so that could be something. For reference, I have listened to the he6 through a 300b set (although not woo) and through a 150 watt power amp,both of which I had when the m2 was here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back