HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #5,896 of 21,868
Quote:
QUOTED FOR TRUTH. The HE-6 sound thin when under amped. When they have plenty of power, they do not. Thin or bright sound from the HE-6 is the classic sign of insufficient power.
Oh, and I am sorry, I just cannot let this go...David Gilmour is the primary vocalist on "Breathe" from Dark Side of the Moon...not Roger Waters
tongue.gif

Oh that's comforting to know, that it probably is just under-amped.

LOL@Gilmour!

And I was showing off my knowledge!! hehe

I thought it was Waters in the original and Gilmour in "Pulse"!

Maybe THAT'S why it has all the Sibilance then! lol ... (I like Waters)  : )

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #5,897 of 21,868
Quote:
If you want a more lively and open sound modding an Audez'e vegan earpad onto a HifiMan earpad space can give this - but it also makes the treble a bit more lively which can be addressed to a degree with earpad screening material.  I think the stock velour has a very well controlled sound with good frequency balance but it can sound a little flat and soundstage can be improved also.

If you want a lot of bass though I think EQ or a coloured amplifier or DAC may be the only choices though - in my setup I consider the HE-6 balanced and with powerful bass, but still not really a bass-heavy headphone, just bass neutral IMO.

I have the Audeze pads on at the moment.  I have to say they don't sound all that different (other than soundstage because the cups are angled forward now) than the stock.  I think the extra room between my ear and the driver helps with the bass, but I haven't noticed "more lively treble" out of it so far.  It still seems as balanced as with stock velour, however the stock velour I have were the original type, They're definitively thicker than the newer type...maybe it all comes down to driver distance? I haven't tried my modded "new velours" with the foam spacers from the pleathers inserted into them.  I made them for my HE-400 but haven't tried them on HE-6 yet. 

Bass response for me so far with HE-6 (now that a few hours burn-in seem to have tightened it up quite a bit...on day 2 the bass kind of popped out of nowhere, which is not unlike my HE-400 experience where bass went the other way, it was bloated and huge then refined down to clean bass in a day or two.) is quite good.  It's a little less presence than HE-400, but a lot more texture and detail.  More presence (at least with the warm Marantz) than K702, more extension than HD650 (but less midbass impact.)   Bass neutral is a good way to describe it.  Like a good, well calibrated sub. 

I do think burn-in is real on HFM headphones more obviously than other headphones.  Both pairs of HE-400's I've had and the HE-6 all showed significant shifts in presentation over a 2-3 day period and another smaller shift over a 2 week period (or assuming so for HE-6) but after that they stay the same.  I'm not talking about running them for 300 hours to burn them in, I just mean listening to a CD or two a day over that time period.  A few hours of burn-in overall.  Maybe the "use/rest/use/rest pattern helps in letting the diaphragm material settle,

Quote:
I have had a very similar experience with my first pair of HE-6s.
Treble brightness coupled with excessive sibilance (SSSsss sound), were my major complaints.
Boy, was I in for a surprise. No brightness, no sibilance. End of story.

Finally come to the opinion that these are one of the most neutral & unforgiving cans. Sibilant recordings will sound sibilant, but with good recordings, even female vocals will not exhibit unnecessary sibilance.  
Very lively treble and without any brightness or harshness whatsoever.
Give these the juice they need and you will be rewarded. 
smile.gif

Interesting. I don't see how a driver issue could do it...I wonder if the sibilance is a damping issue in some pairs?  Mine has shown zero sibilance so far. Then again my definition of sibilance is MDR-7506, so I could have an over-emphasized definition
rolleyes.gif

+1 neutral is the word of the day.  Tyll measured them as bright, but I don't know what amp measured them on.  They decidedly are NOT bright headphones to me.  Full range, yes.  No serious rolloff, yes.  Not as bright as even K702 to my ears.  On a hot recording I have dialed the treble back a bit, but I leave it for most recordings.  Brighter than HD650 with the extreme treble rolloff, that but that's to be expected.

Quote:
Today they're sounding a bit better as well. (getting used to them?)  

I don't mind bright at all, I actually like bright...just the damn sibilance! lol

Thanks again everyone, you guys are very helpful and just awesome!

If your prior headphone was HD650, these would sound quite bright. HD650 is much darker than most headphones....only 3 headphones I can think of fit in that range of darkness, HD650, HE-400, and from what I've heard, LCD2/LCD3 are very HD650-like in presentation, but I haven't auditioned them myself.

If you try them next to K702, Beyer, or D5k, they're actually not bright to my ears.  :) They don't fatigue me at all unless I crank the volume higher than I should.  K702 fatigues me unless I pin the volume to the lowest possible level.  D5k fatigues me after about 40 min to an hour.  HE-6 so far, 2 hours straight, no real fatigue other than realizing I had volume creeping up
biggrin.gif
  They're so smooth it's really too easy to do that. 
redface.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #5,898 of 21,868
Quote:

If your prior headphone was HD650, these would sound quite bright. HD650 is much darker than most headphones....only 3 headphones I can think of fit in that range of darkness, HD650, HE-400, and from what I've heard, LCD2/LCD3 are very HD650-like in presentation, but I haven't auditioned them myself.

If you try them next to K702, Beyer, or D5k, they're actually not bright to my ears.  :) They don't fatigue me at all unless I crank the volume higher than I should.  K702 fatigues me unless I pin the volume to the lowest possible level.  D5k fatigues me after about 40 min to an hour.  HE-6 so far, 2 hours straight, no real fatigue other than realizing I had volume creeping up
biggrin.gif
  They're so smooth it's really too easy to do that. 
redface.gif

They sound awesome when i hear you guys, not when i put them on though! WTH!

I want something JUST brighter than the HD650s (which I actually LOVE!) higher details as well, maybe...those sound perfect for me.
I feel it too from reading on it.

I'm thinking of replacing them AND getting a new amp...to get it over with! Cover all bases kinda thing! lol

What amp though, that's the question!

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #5,899 of 21,868
Ok...so how is the EF-6?

Its more expensive than other speaker amps, but is it better or not?

Does anyone know?

I have a review coming on the EF-6 soon, so I will not say too much, other than I think the EF-6 does a very, very good job with the HE-6. When I listened to that combo at a meet I was not impressed, but I now think the issue there was the source. With my sources, the EF-6 was terrific driving the HE-6.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #5,900 of 21,868
Just listened to an xrcd2 album 'Best Audiophile Voices'  and absolutely no sibilance on the female vocals.
An excellent recording and compilation of some exquisite female vocals.
A gift from Todd Green aka TTVJ 
wink_face.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #5,901 of 21,868
Quote:
I have a review coming on the EF-6 soon, so I will not say too much, other than I think the EF-6 does a very, very good job with the HE-6. When I listened to that combo at a meet I was not impressed, but I now think the issue there was the source. With my sources, the EF-6 was terrific driving the HE-6.

Looking forward to reading this review.
I am considering the DarkStar, mainly for the HE-6, but also the LCD-3s as well as the other dynamic headphones that I have and it'll be interesting to learn about the EF-6 and how it compares.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #5,902 of 21,868
One other note for my sound impressions: Vocals can be astoundingly lifelike on HE-6.  IMO they're an opera fan's dream.  I'm not an opera fan in the real sense, but a good opera, I can get into.  HE-6 could end up turning me into a fan...it just sounds darn good!

Quote:

They sound awesome when i hear you guys, not when i put them on though! WTH!

I want something JUST brighter than the HD650s (which I actually LOVE!) higher details as well, maybe...those sound perfect for me.
I feel it too from reading on it.

I'm thinking of replacing them AND getting a new amp...to get it over with! Cover all bases kinda thing! lol

What amp though, that's the question!

If you're hearing harsh sibilance, something definitely sounds wrong, either with driver damping, or just underpowering it.  IF you have the volume on the amp cranked all the way, I'm guessing it's getting underpowered.  There's zero headroom left.  But whether there's also a damping issue on the pair of headphones, it's hard to say.

On the other hand, from all I've heard LCD-2 is probably the most HD650-like headphone other than real HD650.  Maybe LCD-3 as well.  I've heard HE-500 described as HD650 like as well with it's warm midrange emphasis.  HE-6 is definitively not HD650-like.  For me it's a compliment more than a replacement.  I still love HD650, and my pair isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  HE-6 is technically superior, but only HD650 can be HD650, and it's a very likable sound to those who like it.  On the other hand, HE-6 is so adept to being EQ'd you could probably EQ it to sound HD650-like but without the snappy HD650 transients. 

For "just brighter than HD650, there's of course HD650 with silver cables or HD650 with an EQ", as well...

I've been an avid HD650 fan for many years and continue to be one.  I love HE-6, but I'm not getting rid of HD650 either. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #5,903 of 21,868
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the HE-6 with a 250wpc amplifier or maybe even more.
Would be interesting to see how much power these can take and how they respond.

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #5,904 of 21,868
Your ears will give out long before the HE-6.

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #5,906 of 21,868
Aug 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #5,907 of 21,868
Quote:

Take a look at my sig  "HE-6 rig"

beerchug.gif

I hope your preamp has a VERY sensitive volume knob!
biggrin.gif
  At 45wpc the volume's kind of twitchy for me!

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #5,909 of 21,868
Quote:
I am considering the DarkStar, mainly for the HE-6, but also the LCD-3s as well as the other dynamic headphones that I have and it'll be interesting to learn about the EF-6 and how it compares.

I own the Dark Star and I listened to the EF-6 at Jude's office once. IMO the tone, presentation and detail of the sound out of the DS is far superior but again it is double the price. Is the DS twice better than the EF-6? Maybe not but it all depends what do you want and how much you want to spend. In my personal case I rather pay the extra money to get the sound and looks I want.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #5,910 of 21,868
Quote:

The DS doea a great job with teh HE-6, LCD-3, LCD-3 and high impedance dynamic headphones (in the Low Gain set) like HD800, T1, etc. It is too powerful for low impedance and efficient headphones like the D_000, DX1000, W3000ANV.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back