HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #3,886 of 21,868
The cup brackets on my first pair were silver. They are shiny black on my replacements. The connectors are molded plastic, both the xlr plugs, and 1/4in adapter plugs are black instead of silver. The sliders are now very stiff( a good thing) and it takes quiet a bit of force to move them. The cups on my old pair were a very dark purple, they are now black. The paint finish is much better. There were inconsistencies with the first pair. I was very happy with the sound of my first pair, but the build quality was pathetic. The stitching on the leather headband is now fairly straight. It had started unraveling on my old pair when I first took them out of the box. The build quality of my replacement is closer to what one might expect from a 1000.00 pair of headphones. Still not on par with the hd800s or T1, but much, much better now.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #3,887 of 21,868
The cable markings are L & R instead of a red dot. The rod clasps are tighter (my first pair was really loose). Best of all, they sound so good. Thank you Fang & co. for replacing my mistake with another fantastic piece of art and engineering.

Jun 17, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #3,888 of 21,868
Mine seem the same, but the finish is better on the leather and both pads are fine this time, with the first pair I had to use one of the replacements right off the bat so QC may have gotten better. I think that the L and R markings may be easier to read. What changes did you notice?

I've gotten two replacements and the only cosmetic changes I noticed was the connectors no longer use heatshrink but molded plastic as it caused issues with my first pair tightening. Mine are still using the dots instead of L/R :frowning2:. Build quality seems better as I've accidentally tripped on the cable enough times to do some damage and it doesn't have a single dent yet.

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #3,889 of 21,868
I was just referring to the L/R on the headphones themselves, I didn't even unwrap the new cable yet as I am using an aftermarket cable. Very surprised to hear about the purple cups and silver bracket, I was one of the first few purchasers and my original pair didn't have that. I also had the protos for a few days and the cups were leather and I don't remember those brackets being silver either.

Anyways if you guys are happy with the CS and haven't done so yet you might want to post some props in the feedback thread.

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #3,890 of 21,868
I wish I was happy with the cs. It took me about two months after them receiving my defective pair to get them. I went through through a similar experience when I first ordered them. Being told they had been shipped when they weren't, being promised they would be shipped on a certain day and they weren't. This went on for a while. But I will say Fang will make things right, but his customer service department needs work. But still, I love these headphones. But after two debacles with my he-6, I won't buy from them again. If I ever purchase another hifiman product, it will be through the fs forum. All in all it took almost three months to receive a good working pair of he-6. I know they are a fairly new and small company. And I hope their customer service department gets straightened out. This was some time ago, and maybe by now they already have.

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #3,891 of 21,868
They're still having growing pains, and to some degree what appears to be cultural adjustment issues to foreign markets but as you said they do make things right in the end. There are other reputable retail sources for their headphones brand new as well.

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #3,892 of 21,868
But still, I love these headphones. But after two debacles with my he-6, I won't buy from them again. If I ever purchase another hifiman product, it will be through the fs forum. All in all it took almost three months to receive a good working pair of he-6. I know they are a fairly new and small company. And I hope their customer service department gets straightened out. This was some time ago, and maybe by now they already have.

I had a similar experience getting mine. First pair fang told me to send back, second came broken after waiting a month, third was shipped to wrong address, and fourth was finally okay after waiting three months. Fang said he would cancel future orders I make so I am in the same boat buying used in the future :D.

They're still having growing pains, and to some degree what appears to be cultural adjustment issues to foreign markets but as you said they do make things right in the end. There are other reputable retail sources for their headphones brand new as well.

Yes, they certainly need to culturally adjust to foreign markets. An American company would never tell a customer who's been waiting months for a replacement that they "need to learn to be nice and respect people" while pushing them around.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #3,893 of 21,868

Quote:
I had a similar experience getting mine. First pair fang told me to send back, second came broken after waiting a month, third was shipped to wrong address, and fourth was finally okay after waiting three months. Fang said he would cancel future orders I make so I am in the same boat buying used in the future
biggrin.gif

Wow!! cancel future orders you make.  So they jerk you around, and you eventually had to wait three months and they basically ban you? I only listed what happened with my replacement pair. I wouldn't even go into detail with what happened to my original pair. It was pretty much the same experience as you have. They sent them to the wrong address and kept trying to convince me I already had them.

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #3,894 of 21,868
I know you guys love your HE-6's or even the other HE models but it seems to me from your post and the few close friends that I have that own these Headphones that they seem to be somewhat unreliable......or Am I just wrong.......I haven't had the 1st problem with any of my Senns. either the HD650's or my HD-800's...... I'd be kinda of pissed if I'd paid those prices for them and they had any issues..... But to each their own...

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #3,895 of 21,868

Quote:
I know you guys love your HE-6's or even the other HE models but it seems to me from your post and the few close friends that I have that own these Headphones that they seem to be somewhat unreliable......or Am I just wrong.......I haven't had the 1st problem with any of my Senns. either the HD650's or my HD-800's...... I'd be kinda of pissed if I'd paid those prices for them and they had any issues..... But to each their own...

Not that I'm making excuses for HifiMan but don't you think you're pushing it just a bit comparing a few years old, one man band company from China to a half Bil. dollar industry that has been around for ages.  The funny thing is the one man from China is giving the industry quite a challenge.

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #3,897 of 21,868

Quote:
I'm not usually very active on these boards, but I'd like to share my experience/opinion on the HE-6 regarding build quality.

There really seem to be some quality control issues: MY pair did not have the white damping material in one cup, causing the black foam to "fall" around when handling them. Also, the foam flap covering 1/4 of the driver was folded back on itself. After removing the earcup to straighten it, the plastic plate from the earcup snapped when trying to put it back on. 
The connectors on the headphone-end of the cable also seem a cause for concern: These connectors are meant to be crimped (clamped with a pair of pliers) onto a coaxial cable, which will give a very strong connection and strain-relief. In the HE-6 however, they are soldered, with the shrinkwrap added for strain relief.
Now I haven't taken them apart, but as far as I can tell, the shrink wrap is only attached to the loose outer ring of the connector (check your spare connectors to see what I mean).
On my pair I could easily twist the shrinkwrap and cable, independantly from the connector, it could even hear the wire in the cable creak when doing so.
As a solution I have added another layer of shrinkwrap, over the entire connector, (not the nut ofcourse), preventing it from twisting, wobbling and creaking.

I did contact Hifiman and they were quick to answer and help me find a solution to my problem with the missing damping material (I used "Twaron" in the end, a new kevlar micro fiber with extremely good damping properties, probably overdamped them a little , but I like the sound), but the cable/connector construction remains a cause for concern, and the Earpad construction is completely unnaceptable on any 150€ + set of headphones in my opinion, they could have at least picked a sturdier type of plastic.

Because of their great sound and comfort (I find them amongst the best sounding, most comfy headphones I've owned) they are certainly a "keeper" for me, but they are not without problems.

Very interesting.  How did this change the sound compared to stock?

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #3,898 of 21,868
Most unfortunately. But the equation would need large drivers and extremely heavy magnets. That, and insane amounts of power. And a crossover and band pass filter that would only allow only 20 to 200 hZ. That would limit the whole headphone.
I think that us headphone lovers will always have to accept this.

Quote:
There is no headphone I have heard that will give you the sub bass of a SW.

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #3,900 of 21,868

Quote:
Most unfortunately. But the equation would need large drivers and extremely heavy magnets. That, and insane amounts of power. And a crossover and band pass filter that would only allow only 20 to 200 hZ. That would limit the whole headphone.
I think that us headphone lovers will always have to accept this.

The point of my post was how to get around this problem, anybody who understands headphones knows there is no way to add a sub bass to a headphone cup.
You may want to reread my post. Bottom line is I have found a way around the sub bass problem, and also room acoustics that can be very problematic for a sub bass. .
I am not saying my solution is 100% but pretty darn close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back