HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 8, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #3,826 of 21,868
Puck so happy you enjoy them. These scale up very well and take some time to get used to but once you do you are rewarded with transparency and a great sound stage. They sounded best when i had the SX980 and will reward you long term especially for classical and jazz recordings IMO they are the best but as you see a bear. I will miss them.

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #3,827 of 21,868
Grokit posted:-

Quote:
I agree, when I added a 6SN7 tube stage to my SS HE-6 rig there was an added dimension for sure. The holographic fifth dimension 
o2smile.gif

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #3,828 of 21,868
Quote:
Finally got my HE-6 in the house.  Power it up with Ref-7 -> Phoenix -> NAD 216THX.  Initially I cannot get used to the soundstage and tonality and felt a little bit disappointed.  The bass has good amount but seems to be less solid comparing to T1.  The attack and "kick" of the bass in my New Age instrumental music was soft and blurred. 

However, after spending some time with my classical music collection, I start to get the soundstage.  It is actually quite immense and very natural.  Such wide stage and good focus was so life-like that I feel like sitting in the music hall instead of listening to the recording from a small studio.  That is quite unique experience and I have not yet heard it from my system. This alone already hooks me up.   And the low bass amount was satisfying.  I enjoy the overwhelming low bass rumble from my soundtrack collection and Saint Saens' "Organ" Symphony for a long time.
wink.gif

The only complain I had right now was the high/mid quality wasn't top-level crystal clear.  It is a little bit diffuse comparing to T1.  Such lacking was NOT apparent when HE-6 was directly powered up by Phoenix.  However, all the magical soundstage and bass would also disappear.  Phoenix along cannot power HE-6 to the level that I would enjoy HE-6 at all.

With NAD, the large scale music is very enjoyable with HE-6 due to its extremely large dynamic range and soundstage.  However, I did not find extra magic with small-scale music with solo instrument such as piano.   In those music the texture of each sound note is more important.  So I guess I need some high quality power amp of integrated amp to improve the bass attack (solidness) and mid/high texture.  Any recommendation?

Thanks!

I have had the HE-6 for about two months and the Ref 7.1 for about a week.
Generally speaking - when using a high end DAC and ditto headphones, the amp may be the bottleneck. 
However - considering the reports I have read (on head-fi) about the HE-6 vs. the LCD-2, the softness in the lowest octave (the sub-bass) of the HE-6 is a weakness of the headphones (the only one, in my opinion), but in the midrange and treble the limitations may very well be in the NAD amp you are using (the NAD is a home cinema amp?).

So - yes - I agree that an amp with both enough power and quality (transparency etc.) may be the way to go for you. My 50 watt (in 8 ohms) power amp is driving them well, but it is actually a little annoying that I have to attach / detach the speaker cables when switching between speakers and headphones ...

Which amp to go for ... I don't know.
Maybe you want to wait for the dedicated HiFiMan amp to be released? I am waiting to see what the price will be before I decide what to do.

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #3,829 of 21,868
Quote:
I have had the HE-6 for about two months and the Ref 7.1 for about a week.
Generally speaking - when using a high end DAC and ditto headphones, the amp may be the bottleneck. 
However - considering the reports I have read (on head-fi) about the HE-6 vs. the LCD-2, the softness in the lowest octave (the sub-bass) of the HE-6 is a weakness of the headphones (the only one, in my opinion), but in the midrange and treble the limitations may very well be in the NAD amp you are using (the NAD is a home cinema amp?).

Maybe you want to wait for the dedicated HiFiMan amp to be released? I am waiting to see what the price will be before I decide what to do.

The NAD is certainly the weakest link since it was intended only for background music and my kid's music education (with my MA speaker so they get to know classical music)
biggrin.gif

And I was hopping Phoenix can do some pre-view for me.  Unfortunately, it will not do the justice for HE-6 for sure (at least for me).

Now the test run of HE-6 seems to be promising, I will be interested in an up-to-task power or integrated amp capable to fit in the system.  This opens up a whole can of worm due to a lot of amps to research.  Vintage amp may be fun, but I'd like to get hole-in-one decision
biggrin.gif

Any amp suggestion to increase the ambient airy feeling and mid/high freq attach and texture?

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #3,830 of 21,868
Puck if you do not want vintage look into some integrated amps but if you go over 100W then you may want Fangs impedance box but in August Fang will be releasing the E6 is 12.5W with speaker terminals designed for the HE6 so you may want to wait till then or check out some good amps like a Creek, or even the Exposure amps are supposed to be very good and will give you better results but the inexpensive way is to look for a SX950 or 980 receiver locally but make sure there are no issues. Aduio Advisor and Music Direct has some very nice options all with a 30 day return

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #3,833 of 21,868
This maybe old news but in a recent discussion with Fang he is estimating that the EF6 that he had at the Munich show will be released in August.  It will be a single ended Class A solid state headphone amplifier only.  I don't have much more but it sounds like it would be able to drive the HE-6s without any problem.

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #3,835 of 21,868
This maybe old news but in a recent discussion with Fang he is estimating that the EF6 that he had at the Munich show will be released in August.  It will be a single ended Class A solid state headphone amplifier only.  I don't have much more but it sounds like it would be able to drive the HE-6s without any problem.

Wait, so it's not going to be able to drive speakers? I thought it was an integrated amplifier.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #3,836 of 21,868

Quote:
Quote:

Wait, so it's not going to be able to drive speakers? I thought it was an integrated amplifier.

According to Fang the EF6 is about 5w per channel for 50 ohm load, and 15w per channel for 8 ohm load. They believe the single end design is more musical than balanced, which is why even though the HE-6s are terminated in a 4-pin XLR, they went for that design.

As to whether it can drive speakers, I don't know but 15 wpc into 8 ohm would normally drive highly efficient speakers.  

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #3,837 of 21,868
So to sum up, the EF6 is a 15 wpc into 8 ohm speaker amp that also features a 5 wpc into 50 ohm SE headphone jack but no 4-pin XLR?

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #3,838 of 21,868
Doesn't Fang recommend 8WPC into 50ohm for the HE-6?
Recommended WPC chart for HE series:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hifiman4/1.html

BTW - I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the HE speaker adapter is now available from Head-Direct - $100. It's kinda cool. Matching box for the serious collector.:
http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=104#

Input: Speaker Connector
output: 4 pin XLR
Resistors in parallel: 10 Ohm
Resistors in series: 25 Ohm

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #3,839 of 21,868
According to Fang the EF6 is about 5w per channel for 50 ohm load, and 15w per channel for 8 ohm load. They believe the single end design is more musical than balanced, which is why even though the HE-6s are terminated in a 4-pin XLR, they went for that design.

As to whether it can drive speakers, I don't know but 15 wpc into 8 ohm would normally drive highly efficient speakers.  

Hmm. Hopefully it will drive my speakers well if I get one. My guess on the "single ended is more musical" thing is that they meant for the same price and form factor the single ended sounds better since so much extra hardware is needed for balanced.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #3,840 of 21,868

Quote:

I think the musicality depends on the actual design of the amplifier and its implementation. I have herd SE system that are very musical as well as balanced systems. In my case I am powering the HE-6 with a Threshold T50 speakers amplifier 50 watts Class A in 8 ohms. It is a fully balanced design but it can also be used in SE. This specific amplifier sounds a lot more musical and with better presentation when use in a fully balanced system.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back