HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 23, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #2,581 of 21,868

Quote:
Quote:
jamato8,

All kidding aside.  I do hope you get it soon so I can read your LCD2/HE6 comparison.

Same here! There really have not been enough LCD-2 vs HE-6 reviews. Thanks to JIAN for the comments earlier.

With any luck my HE-6 will be here tomorrow and I can join in on the LCD-2 VS HE-6 fun.

I have them on my head now. My fi.Q can power them to moderate listening levels, well, just about the max I want to listen to with no distortion but I am going to balanced the extension piece real quick because I know I can get more of the power I need, the phones need. I am getting good center fill, not fuzzy or indistinct  and good impact. I think they are a little more comfortable than the LCD-2 and the cable is very light and soft. I would like a cable like this for the LCD-2. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #2,582 of 21,868

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
jamato8,

All kidding aside.  I do hope you get it soon so I can read your LCD2/HE6 comparison.

Same here! There really have not been enough LCD-2 vs HE-6 reviews. Thanks to JIAN for the comments earlier.

With any luck my HE-6 will be here tomorrow and I can join in on the LCD-2 VS HE-6 fun.

I have them on my head now. My fi.Q can power them to moderate listening levels, well, just about the max I want to listen to with no distortion but I am going to balanced the extension piece real quick because I know I can get more of the power I need, the phones need. I am getting good center fill, not fuzzy or indistinct  and good impact. I think they are a little more comfortable than the LCD-2 and the cable is very light and soft. I would like a cable like this for the LCD-2. 

Nice! Glad to read you finally got them.

You can do what I did : Strip the stock LCD-2 cable of its outer rubber coating and the fabric "dampener" on the inside. makes it much lighter, much more flexible both of which are desirable for the LCD-2 IMO.

How do you find the build quality is? They don't look the best for 1200$ judging by the pics, but if they sound like 1200$ I suppose it is ok.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #2,583 of 21,868

Quote:

I have listened to the LCD-2 with two different aftermarket cables. One time with the Zeus and the other with the Twag. In both cases the LCD-2 sounded better than with the stock cable and both cables were way lighter and more flexible.

My personal preference was the Zeus but the Twag was very good too.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jan 23, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #2,584 of 21,868

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
jamato8,

Nice! Glad to read you finally got them.

You can do what I did : Strip the stock LCD-2 cable of its outer rubber coating and the fabric "dampener" on the inside. makes it much lighter, much more flexible both of which are desirable for the LCD-2 IMO.

How do you find the build quality is? They don't look the best for 1200$ judging by the pics, but if they sound like 1200$ I suppose it is ok.

I will need time but I would use something other than the phillips screws, for appearance sake. The top leather (I used to do high end leather work) piece should be stiffer for long term use but the underneath piece is fine. At first the ear pads seems very stiff but within a half an hour they started fitting my head better and are comfortable. The printing of Hifiman HE-6 on each side of the phones would be nice engraved into some brass with black. These are appearances. The sound is open and dynamic but I have to reterminate the extension so I can use it with my balanced amps. 

The Ultrasone Ed. 9 cost more and to me, scream, "hi, I have 90 dollars in parts, well ok, maybe not that much, please buy me for 1300". 

Quote:
I have listened to the LCD-2 with two different aftermarket cables. One time with the Zeus and the other with the Twag. In both cases the LCD-2 sounded better than with the stock cable and both cables were way lighter and more flexible.

My personal preference was the Zeus but the Twag was very good too.

I have some extra TWAG. I will try it out with the LCD-2. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #2,585 of 21,868
Ok, I have the HE-6 up and running balanced. Much better. Poor fi.Q just couldn't do it. It is an amazing amp but I can't expect miracles and even with 4 buf634's per channel, it just doesn't have the grunt. The PB2 is doing a very credible job. Very good solid bass, better than what I thought it would be since some say it lacks some on the bass. Sounds fine to me and I have been listening to the LCD-2 for a number of weeks now. 

I inserted the extra buffers, one each, in the PB2 and biased to wide band width and WOW. Ample volume (this doesn't increase the sound but does up the power) but even on bass heavy blues the sound stays open and well defined. These are different compared to the LCD-2, which is nice. More active but they both have their attributes. Very, very nice. 

I also find the cable connection to the headphone very easy. No pliers, just screw them in and finger tight and they are staying in place fine. Nice that they include an extra set of connectors, as these would be hard to find but the cable seems to be great and I have no desire to change. 

Cymbals are excellent and good guitar has a bell like quality. I am surprised, amazed at how easily the PB2 powers them. I use much of the volume control but everything is good and frankly I like to get as much as possible out of the way of the signal, which mean getting the wipers near the end of the volume control. Next I will have to try the 71B. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #2,587 of 21,868

Quote:
Run them a couple days as they do get better in increments.

Yes, they seem to like a bit of warming up also. At first, before I balanced them for the portables I have, they distorted at a set volume with the fi.Q but after about a half an hour, when I returned to the same music and volume setting they did not and it took a higher setting to get the distortion again. They run very well off of the 71B and PB2 with good center fill. I read of the center problems but I don't understand why. I have a normal side to side and center imaging. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #2,588 of 21,868
My center fill issue was with a .5 watt amp that just didn't do it compared to a speaker amp. I've never had an issue driving even the K340 to loud levels with no distortion on the SP amp. The LCD-2 sounded great on it but I couldn't get it past 11 without distortion with the HE-6.

Enjoy sir.

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #2,589 of 21,868
Hmm...  So many good comments about the SR-71B!  I wonder if it would be better than a relatively cheap speaker amp like my Pioneer A-35R, and whether it's worth waiting for a Lyr or the EF6...

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #2,590 of 21,868

Quote:

I "should" get my HE-6 today. I hope I can power them towards their potential but I am not sure I have anything on hand that will, I shall see. Hopefully I can get the local contract UPS office off of their butt and down to the airport, all of 5 minutes away and pick up my package that has been here since Friday! lazy #@#*!'s

Quote:

Quote:
Ok, I have the HE-6 up and running balanced. Much better. Poor fi.Q just couldn't do it. It is an amazing amp but I can't expect miracles and even with 4 buf634's per channel, it just doesn't have the grunt. The PB2 is doing a very credible job. Very good solid bass, better than what I thought it would be since some say it lacks some on the bass. Sounds fine to me and I have been listening to the LCD-2 for a number of weeks now. 

I inserted the extra buffers, one each, in the PB2 and biased to wide band width and WOW. Ample volume (this doesn't increase the sound but does up the power) but even on bass heavy blues the sound stays open and well defined. These are different compared to the LCD-2, which is nice. More active but they both have their attributes. Very, very nice. 

I also find the cable connection to the headphone very easy. No pliers, just screw them in and finger tight and they are staying in place fine. Nice that they include an extra set of connectors, as these would be hard to find but the cable seems to be great and I have no desire to change. 

Cymbals are excellent and good guitar has a bell like quality. I am surprised, amazed at how easily the PB2 powers them. I use much of the volume control but everything is good and frankly I like to get as much as possible out of the way of the signal, which mean getting the wipers near the end of the volume control. Next I will have to try the 71B. 

Quote:
Yes, they seem to like a bit of warming up also. At first, before I balanced them for the portables I have, they distorted at a set volume with the fi.Q but after about a half an hour, when I returned to the same music and volume setting they did not and it took a higher setting to get the distortion again. They run very well off of the 71B and PB2 with good center fill. I read of the center problems but I don't understand why. I have a normal side to side and center imaging. 

I too have had no center fill problems, and find the SR-71b can actually do a decent job driving them balanced.  In single ended mode forget it.

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #2,591 of 21,868
Woo Hoo.  Ms T emailed saying that a tracking number will be coming my way shortly.  Blissful HE6 times are getting forever closer.  :)

It has been very refreshing to get personalised service and assistance from Ms T.  Many thanks.

Pretty soon I will be able to get back to counting down the days to March 1 and the release of the Schiit Lyr.....

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #2,592 of 21,868
HE-6 in the house!!

Or should I say "On the head" :p

Cable is pretty short... really wish that XLR to SE adapter was shorter as it is useless for many people driving these.

They look better in the flesh but for 1200$ I think they could do better.

Also the connectors are a real pain in the ass

I find they are less comfy than my LCD-2 and have similar weight, although better. I think the difference is 100 grams.

Initial sound is impressive if bright... bass is nice though and the background is very black in passages that are quiet or only have an instrument or two.

Not having any soundstage issues or any sorts running from my phoenix.

Midbass is nice but I am not sure yet these go as low as some people will say but then again it has only been 20 mins and 1 CD with 1 amp that might not necessarily have enough power.

Are these 60 ohms or 50 ohms? There seems to be conflicting info on head-fi and head-direct.

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #2,593 of 21,868
Alex my impression saturday was not bright full sounding and it was impressive. When Fang send them to me I will have a couple weeks to get a feel for them but the 6W Taboo drove them very nice and there is plenty of bass and I had a wide sound stage but that was for about 1 hr of having them on my head and I need to run them through the mill

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #2,594 of 21,868

Quote:
Alex my impression saturday was not bright full sounding and it was impressive. When Fang send them to me I will have a couple weeks to get a feel for them but the 6W Taboo drove them very nice and there is plenty of bass and I had a wide sound stage but that was for about 1 hr of having them on my head and I need to run them through the mill

Not that they sound "thin" or anything but they certainly seem to have a treble emphasis... or I just really love "dark" headphones.

The highs are great though, just too damned loud on some songs haha. But I guess that is what synergy is all about.

Will have to get those DIY speaker cables up soon so I can have some different impressions to toy with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back