HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 21, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #17,896 of 21,868
Vintage Pioneer Spec amp was good for treble as well.  Disclaimer - I'm never prone to hearing shrill or sibilant treble tho - loved the Pro900 and many say that is the epitome of shrill. 

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #17,897 of 21,868
Oct 21, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #17,898 of 21,868
Installed the Vegan pads. These are definitely the best velour pads I have seen, no wonder they cost so much (still overpriced though). I had Beyer and HiFiman velour pads before, both were so uncomfortable that I grew a dislike for velours in general. These are soft, plush, super comfortable. Somehow the weight of the headset is better adjusted with these pads too.

Now to the sound, the bass response is slightly better. What's definitely better is clarity, distortion is less with these pads. 

Still need to listen more to see if it's an $80 worth upgrade. I will probably reach the conclusion that it is, since I have already spent the money:p. Actually the comfort alone is making me happy.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #17,899 of 21,868
Installed the Vegan pads. These are definitely the best velour pads I have seen, no wonder they cost so much (still overpriced though). I had Beyer and HiFiman velour pads before, both were so uncomfortable that I grew a dislike for velours in general. These are soft, plush, super comfortable. Somehow the weight of the headset is better adjusted with these pads too.

Now to the sound, the bass response is slightly better. What's definitely better is clarity, distortion is less with these pads. 

Still need to listen more to see if it's an $80 worth upgrade. I will probably reach the conclusion that it is, since I have already spent the money:p. Actually the comfort alone is making me happy.

Glad you're liking them so far. :)

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #17,900 of 21,868

Told ya!

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #17,901 of 21,868
I have the SA-31SE, which puts 10W @40Ω. It drives all the Hifiman planars very well except the HE-6, which sounds shrill on it.
Power rating is not everything.

My NFB-27 built-in amp did a much better job with the HE-6, while being rated lower than the SA-31SE. It's the only instance where I preferred the builtin amp in the NFB-27 (balanced, of course) to the SA-31SE, actually (I loved the latter's sound character. The NFB-27 was colder by comparison).

I wouldn't recommend the smaller amps for the HE-6. Get a used Master-9 or the Reference 10.32 that's in the F/S if you can stretch your budget a bit.

Perhaps you should apply the "Laundry Clip Fix" to your SA-31SE I described in the amp's thread. The HE-6 draws much current, and the SA-31SE will sound "shrill" if the output transistors are not temperature compensated properly.

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #17,902 of 21,868

Comfort definitely. Sound stage too - larger. Clarity - not better than stock with unmodified vegans vs stock velours imo. There are trade-offs imo...

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #17,903 of 21,868

Comfort definitely. Sound stage too - larger. Clarity - not better than stock with unmodified vegans vs stock velours imo. There are trade-offs imo...

That's why you modify them, lol. Do the felt ring mod and take it up to the next level. :)

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #17,904 of 21,868
I definitely prefer the Audeze vegans, but with what said and I agree with negura it comes with trade off in some aspects. The pros are IMO: Fuller bass, less high treble, better tonal balance, smoother overall sound and better image. The cons are IMO: a bit less overall clarity and less soundstage width. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #17,905 of 21,868
I guess it depends on the kind of music you listen to, for rock/metal I definitely feel like the clarity is better with Audeze vegan over stock leather. The stock velour pads are terrible, I couldn't keep them on long enough to test whether those are better.

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #17,906 of 21,868
I guess I was not very clear. I have tried some different pads with the HE6 and the better clarity and soundstage width was with the Hifiman Focus pad A, not with the stock pads. The stock pads kind of suck.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #17,907 of 21,868

I am curious, is it a improvement to remove the hair screen?
Irreversible, can't trail and error..
confused.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #17,908 of 21,868
I am curious, is it a improvement to remove the hair screen?
Irreversible, can't trail and error..:confused:

I remember there being slightly better clarity. I'll have to swap my pads to see. I have a pair without screens as you can see in that pic. It was brighter but maybe due to the reflections of not having felt at the time.

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #17,909 of 21,868
  I guess I was not very clear. I have tried some different pads with the HE6 and the better clarity and soundstage width was with the Hifiman Focus pad A, not with the stock pads. The stock pads kind of suck.

I like the hifiman focus pads also    more than the audeze vegan pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back