HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #15,332 of 21,868
in order of increasing darkness: focus -> focus-A -> Vegan

Comfort goes totally to the Vegan pads.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #15,334 of 21,868
  Comfort goes totally to the Vegan pads.

+1. Love me some vegan pads.

I found the headband can cause some discomfort (probably due to my pointy + bald head) - adding a cheap seat belt protector over the headband, in addition to the vegan pads, makes the HE6 a comfort powerhouse.

Looks like crap, but feels more comfy than an old pair of jeans
wink_face.gif

Modded my HD800 this morning and spent some hours doing some serious listening comparing the modded HE6 / modded HD800 / LCD-X, and the results for me are very clear:
1) modded HE6 + WA5
2) modded HD800 + WA5
3) LCD-X + Taurus Mk2

This is the reverse order of the headphone costs - something I found interesting (although the costs of fully amping the HE6 should probably be taken into account somewhere - I bought the WA5 with powering the HE6 very much in mind).

I was a little surprised at the size of the gap between each of these 3 setups. The HE6 provides a visceral texture to the music that is hard to explain, and is like no other headphone I have heard.

The modded HD800 has the treble tamed (mostly) and is an engaging listen, but I can't detect any significant advantage over the HE6 when it comes to detail. Sound staging is more expansive, but that isn't a big draw card for me, and this is the only area where I thought the HD800 had an advantage over the HE6.

The LCD-X with the Taurus is fun with the right tracks, but compared to the other 2 setups it sounds like someone has strangled the treble and thrown a veil over the entire spectrum. Smoothness at the expense of detail, I would say. Play a track with a violin solo in it, for example, and the modded HE6 and HD800 will present it beautifully. Rich and detailed - wonderful stuff. The LCD-X is not that kind of headphone - a meataxe compared to the HE6/HD800 scalpel - it will rock out very well, but so will the other 2 and they can do a lot more besides.

I face palm a little every time I look at the "Wall of Fame" at Inner Fidelity. The LCD-X, LCD-3F & HD800 are there. Where is the HE6? Where is the love for this wonderful piece of audio equipment?
frown.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #15,335 of 21,868

I found the headband can cause some discomfort (probably due to my pointy + bald head) - adding a cheap seat belt protector over the headband, in addition to the vegan pads, makes the HE6 a comfort powerhouse.

wink_face.gif

Modded my HD800 this morning and spent some hours doing some serious listening comparing the modded HE6 / modded HD800 / LCD-X, and the results for me are very clear:
1) modded HE6 + WA5
2) modded HD800 + WA5
3) LCD-X + Taurus Mk2

This is the reverse order of the headphone costs - something I found interesting (although the costs of fully amping the HE6 should probably be taken into account somewhere - I bought the WA5 with powering the HE6 very much in mind).

I was a little surprised at the size of the gap between each of these 3 setups. The HE6 provides a visceral texture to the music that is hard to explain, and is like no other headphone I have heard.

The modded HD800 has the treble tamed (mostly) and is an engaging listen, but I can't detect any significant advantage over the HE6 when it comes to detail. Sound staging is more expansive, but that isn't a big draw card for me, and this is the only area where I thought the HD800 had an advantage over the HE6.

The LCD-X with the Taurus is fun with the right tracks, but compared to the other 2 setups it sounds like someone has strangled the treble and thrown a veil over the entire spectrum. Smoothness at the expense of detail, I would say. Play a track with a violin solo in it, for example, and the modded HE6 and HD800 will present it beautifully. Rich and detailed - wonderful stuff. The LCD-X is not that kind of headphone - a meataxe compared to the HE6/HD800 scalpel - it will rock out very well, but so will the other 2 and they can do a lot more besides.

I face palm a little every time I look at the "Wall of Fame" at Inner Fidelity. The LCD-X, LCD-3F & HD800 are there. Where is the HE6? Where is the love for this wonderful piece of audio equipment?
frown.gif

I totally agree with you.
i've heard hd800 and he6 and i prefer the he6 over the hd800.
Never heard the lcds so no comment there :D

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #15,336 of 21,868

I can't detect any significant advantage over the HE6 when it comes to detail. Sound staging is more expansive, but that isn't a big draw card for me, and this is the only area where I thought the HD800 had an advantage over the HE6.

It seems we feel the exact same way about the two headphones.  

All tracks with voices and tracks that focus on bass will go to the HE-6 hands down. 

Instrument only tracks ie. large orchestra works I'll give it to the HD800 (because of the sound stage) but an open grill HE-6 is very close.  So I could easily live with the HE-6 as my one and only headphone.  

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #15,337 of 21,868

...So I could easily live with the HE-6 as my one and only headphone.  

I have the same opinion. I don't regret purchasing the HD800 at all though. Once modded it is a very fine piece of kit. A modded HE6 just does most things better.

I am not so sure about the LCD-X. The Audeze "house sound" is quite colored and treble light to my ears, and I miss the detail compared to the HD800/HE6. It's great on some tracks, but not so much on others. Very hit and miss. Both the HD800 and HE6 are much more consistent, I think.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #15,339 of 21,868
  I'm going to give the LCD-3F a go.  I liked the LCD-3C a lot - but just not enough to keep them - a little to dark for me.

I auditioned a pair a couple of weeks ago (driven by a Taurus Mk2 - same as I own). It was good, but I still prefer the modded HE6 by a big margin. I did notice that it was better on detail than the LCD-X. Not a huge difference, but I could hear it.

More colored than the LCD-X to my ears also. I like some darkness, but the Audeze "house sound" is too much for me. I think the LCD-X will be my first and last Audeze purchase, unless they move much closer to a neutral sounding headphone.

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #15,340 of 21,868

wink_face.gif

1) modded HE6 + WA5
2) modded HD800 + WA5
3) LCD-X + Taurus Mk2

frown.gif

exacly how i see it , i owned all three headphones as well . HE6 is that good.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #15,342 of 21,868
Tyll never liked the HE-6 but from what I read he always used the stock version and  I'm not 100% sure if he's ever heard them properly amped (I'm glossing over his EF-6 experiment).  Also, by his own admission he has a bit of a penchant for darker sounding cans.  Frankly, I think he's doing a great effort with the measurements etc but it's the same with all sites that derive income out of advertising....compared to 6moons he's a saint.

I'm currently listening to my HD-800, another great headphone.  I occasionally contemplate selling them because the 6 gets most head time but for large orchestral works they just rule and I can't pull the trigger.   As others say, they take the first prize for soundstage but as far as detail is concerned I also believe them to be on par with the HE-6.  For comfort the HD-800 win, easily.  But I slightly prefer the 6's bass presentation.  

On a related note, I often hear people saying they want a 'neutral' and transparent headphone and amp combo...imo those words are easily spoken but most people who get to hear such a combo for the first time actually complain of it being too clinical/dry.  And now...I'll continue soldering the caps on my F1 power supply board, want to get the amp finished by X-mas, crossing my fingers for the case to reach me in time from Italy.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #15,343 of 21,868
don't rely on anyone when buying gear, take everyone's words with lots of salt since everyone's preferences are different....first hand experience of the product itself is what counts(preferably for several days too 
biggrin.gif
 )
wish there were more loan programs all over the world 
frown.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #15,344 of 21,868
Hi all, hope everyone is having a merry christmas and what have you. I have finally got a Ragnarok and I am saving for a HE-6. Question does the HE-6 come with a balance d cable or do I need to obtain one from a aftermarket dealer. Thanks for your time
Andrew Reddog Jones

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #15,345 of 21,868
Hi all, hope everyone is having a merry christmas and what have you. I have finally got a Ragnarok and I am saving for a HE-6. Question does the HE-6 come with a balance d cable or do I need to obtain one from a aftermarket dealer. Thanks for your time
Andrew Reddog Jones

Mine did, but a VERY short one that was quite flimsy. YMMV. Was very anxious to replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back