= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 9, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #20,041 of 21,175
Do you know what went wrong with the right side reassembly? Would you say it was an easy job, little chance of breakage?

The plastic black and silver assembly would be analogous to a submarine sandwich with rubber bands on each end holding it together. The two pieces of black plastic would be the top and bottom bread and the silver end pieces being the rubber bands on each end of this hypothetical sandwich.

There is a small metal leaf spring like piece inside the plastic part near the bottom silver sleeve that slipped slightly off position when I went to snap the black plastic back together.

I would rate the mod process as moderate skill level if you have done mods/electronic repairs before because it requires more than just unscrewing things and there is risk of breaking during 1 step. Part count is very low so overall complexity is not high. I used an iFixIt toolkit for phones/electronics for my process. For reference, I have personally repaired game console controllers and done cosmetic mods such as replacing the shells of Nintendo Switch Joy Cons. Similar processes here with far less parts involved.

Disclaimer: I cannot take responsibility if something goes wrong using the below info if you attempt to mimic my modification.

Start with removing the drivers from the yokes (Hifiman has a video of this on YouTube). The silver sleeve at the bottom can be pushed off the black plastic down the yoke by inserting something between the seam and working your way around and down. Use plastic tools for this as a metal tool would deform the plastic. There is a small amount of rubber cement like glue holding this up.

Once this is down, the yoke becomes your leverage to work the inside side of the black plastic towards the leather. There are only 2 friction based points right behind where the leather goes into the plastic holding this onto the outside facing plastic part and the top is inserted inside the other silver sleeve. Slowly use the yoke to open the two plastic parts into a V shape. This requires a bit of wiggling inward towards the leather with the yoke partially extended so it still has lots of contact with the inside of the black plastic. This is the highest risk part as applying the wrong leverage here could break one of the 3 pieces involved if done too hard or fast.

Once open, the little leaf spring thing will be loose as nothing holds it in place except being sandwiched between the two halves of the black plastic. During reassembly, this goes back on the inside plastic piece at the bottom with the little bump facing the yoke (I probably could have used some small amount of weak glue on the edges to hold it in place to prevent it from slipping).

From here, remove leather, reassemble and repeat for other side. Whole process took me 60 minutes including the figuring out how part. If I had to do a new one now, it would probably 30 mins end to end.

I suppose if you wanted to avoid all this disassembly, you could try to cleanly cut the leather off right up against the plastic and end up with the same functional result.

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #20,042 of 21,175
Hopefully, this will answer your queries:

1) Can you just send me the band without me returning anything to you?

-Yes! We can either do an exchange for you or we can send the band alone, at no cost, directly to you. Just let us know that this is what you prefer.

2) Can I get a complete brand new replacement if I return the original?

-Yes! We can either send you the band alone for you to do the swap yourself, or we can do a full exchange. If you prefer an exchange we will provide a prepaid label to pay for the return shipping. Just let us know that this is what you prefer.

3) Who do I contact for either a band or a brand new piece??

-Please reach out to service@adorama.com to request either the exchange or just the band to be sent. All we need is the order number and your preference of how we handle the band..

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #20,044 of 21,175
same. i was told they can send the band just a few days ago (i can paste the email if you would like) and then someone else responded and told me they could not?? im honestly getting a bit annoyed at all the back and forth and getting responses from a different rep every time i get a new email and one says yes the next says no??? please let us know what to do at this point if you can. thank you

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #20,045 of 21,175
The information in my post, above overrides all and any other information you have been given. If anyone in CS is unaware that what I have written is the most up-to-date info, please advise them to email Elyssa who will confirm it.

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #20,047 of 21,175
Just got my replacements in tonight.

They are going right back. I basically got someone else's return it seems like. My first pair had really bad high pitch crinkling in both driver when I was putting on the headset. Anytime I moved even the slightest I would hear it that high pitch crinkle in the left driver mainly with sound coming. This meant I couldn't move my head at all while listening to music. Also, there was a pretty bad channel imbalance with left side stronger. That made the vocals of most songs sound like they were coming in from off center to the left pretty badly. There was also a loose plastic rattling sound in the left cup too.

That was the first pair. The second pair, with the same original headband with the smaller strap still, looks like someone else's return as I said. The box looked new enough until I opened the box and the I noticed the felt insert had holes in it that the original new one didn't have. Also the cords weren't neatly packaged up in the box like the original set was. This headphone that I got in tonight though doesn't have the plastic rattle in the left cup, nor does it have the channel imbalance of sound. However, it has that nasty crackling noise when I put on the drivers and if I move my head. The crackle/crinkle is a much lower pitch that the original headset from what I remember at least. Still it continues to crackle when I move my head around with music playing.

I know this isn't normal or meant to be this way. I own the 400i, 4XX, Edition S, and Edition X currently. None of those headsets do that. Nor do any other planars I have do that. I've heard some Audeze planars had done that once long ago, but Audeze replaced those as defects back then.

Well, I'm not so sure I am going to ask for an exchange again on this one. Lack of faith in getting a non-defective unit has grown. Also clearly being sent someone else's returned unit that was defective doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #20,048 of 21,175
I got my replacements today and I'm very happy. I didn't have fit issues, but these seem a bit looser for some reason. Before I had 4 notches on each side showing, now I only need 3. My first pair also had crinkling when shaking my head, but this pair only crinkles when I press the cups into my head.

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #20,049 of 21,175
i only hear a small bit of the crinkle when i press the cups in gently towards my head otherwise i dont have that. and im very gentle testing that as to not do any damage to the drivers. this can also happen with dynamic cans as well i have heard more then a few that will pop and crack if u do that also and a few even from moving your head to hard, but if its bad and a normal thing then i would say they have an issue. i decided to keep my pair and have just the band shipped due to not having much issue with them minus the headband. hifiman has also said they would still send one out if the adorama one is not better from the v1 version

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #20,050 of 21,175
i only hear a small bit of the crinkle when i press the cups in gently towards my head otherwise i dont have that. and im very gentle testing that as to not do any damage to the drivers. this can also happen with dynamic cans as well i have heard more then a few that will pop and crack if u do that also and a few even from moving your head to hard, but if its bad and a normal thing then i would say they have an issue. i decided to keep my pair and have just the band shipped due to not having much issue with them minus the headband. hifiman has also said they would still send one out if the adorama one is not better from the v1 version

As I said, I more than a few different open back planar headphones. They will all make a crinkle/crackle sound once you put them on and press them into your head. Faster you press the louder that crackle sound. However, putting them on doesn't make that sound. Moving my head even slightly doesn't make that sound. Moving my head to the beat of the music doesn't make it crackle. Both of the 560 V2s I've received do though. They sound like someone is constantly crackling a plastic bag in both drivers. Putting them on they are very loud. Slightly moving my head and I hear it OVER the music at 70-80db volume. Both of them are basically defective and completely unusable. I mean the movement from my breathing makes them crackle.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #20,051 of 21,175
As I said, I more than a few different open back planar headphones. They will all make a crinkle/crackle sound once you put them on and press them into your head. Faster you press the louder that crackle sound. However, putting them on doesn't make that sound. Moving my head even slightly doesn't make that sound. Moving my head to the beat of the music doesn't make it crackle. Both of the 560 V2s I've received do though. They sound like someone is constantly crackling a plastic bag in both drivers. Putting them on they are very loud. Slightly moving my head and I hear it OVER the music at 70-80db volume. Both of them are basically defective and completely unusable. I mean the movement from my breathing makes them crackle.

Well put. I've owned 2 560 v1.2's in my day and have heard 2 others. None of them crinkle with anything I did to them. Actually, none of my planars have ever crinkled.

I agree with your assessment that yours are defective. No way that is normal. I hope it works out for you in the end. crap like that is why I haven't bought an Ananda or a Sundara. HiFiMan QC inspires very little confidence in me these days.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #20,052 of 21,175
Part of it is because they're using thinner and thinner diaphragms.

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #20,054 of 21,175
i wasnt implying yours were not defective i just was suggesting as you said that generally planars will make that type of sound when you press the pads against your head. i agree yours are prob defective and i would get a refund or maybe another replacement. mine do not do this under normal movement at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back