= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 11, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #14,477 of 21,176
Also i owned the original Lyr/Bifrost several years ago that I used with the HD800s so sibilent I couldn't listen for any more than 30 to 40 minutes. I gave my brother the amp dac and sold the HD800s. Oh well here i go again!

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #14,479 of 21,176
@ezvkm77 If you're going single ended you'll get a lot of Gustard H10 recommendations. The H10 drives planars simply superbly. LCD's, HiFiMan's, Ether's and PMx2's get the very most out of the Gustard. You can even opamp roll in the H10 to great effect. Lots of info on opamps over on the H10 thread.

I suggest skimming through the first and last 10 pages or so to get a brief idea of what the H10 is and what it's capable of. Look for @stuartmc, he's the cap'n.............there's a nautical theme over there.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #14,482 of 21,176
Would someone do me a favor and tell me - instead of me having to search for the answer among all those posts - whether it's generally possible to smoothen the aggressive/energetic treble of the 560 to the point where it becomes a non-factor? I'm thinking mods, EQ, AMPs, DACs...
For example, I was told that the NFB 11 would do the trick, but i'm not convinced.

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #14,484 of 21,176
  Would someone do me a favor and tell me - instead of me having to search for the answer among all those posts - whether it's generally possible to smoothen the aggressive/energetic treble of the 560 to the point where it becomes a non-factor? I'm thinking mods, EQ, AMPs, DACs...
For example, I was told that the NFB 11 would do the trick, but i'm not convinced.

Easily tamed, just get a parametric EQ, lots of them including a decent one built into JRiver Media Center for instance. You can then play around, get the settings to your taste, save the settings and use them or defeat them as needed.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #14,485 of 21,176
To get the best results, i would suggest using equal loudness curves to find out your ears sensitivity to sound at different frequencies. Run the test at the link below to identify your hearing curve based on the HE-560s. It will be different with different headphones.

http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

You can use the results in the following manner:

1) If for example, the 6kHz region is below the 1khz point by 3 db, eq that region up by 1db at the beginning using the inbuilt or external equalizer you have. Increase as you see fit.

2) If the 8kHz is higher than the 1khz point, eq down by 1db to start. Continue till satisfied.

Everyone's ears are different. Thus eq curves will generally differ slightly due to ear sensitivity to frequencies being different for everyone.

I did the test first, then used Electri-Q (parametric equalizer) to create my ideal hearing curve.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #14,486 of 21,176
What amp are you using? I had this issue using my Geek Out, when I went to RSA HR-2 (and later to MicroZOTL2) didn't not it any more (maybe some brain burn in, but think the amplification is important in this area).

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #14,487 of 21,176
Man, thanks for all the swift replies and good suggestions! I'm using my O2 ODAC at the moment and i know it's not ideal. Any recommendations in that area? I'll definitely try the parametric EQing with that link.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #14,488 of 21,176
The Gustard H10 is an excellent amp for the HE-560s. It's currently available on Massdrop for $300. At that price, its value and performance is simply unmatched. In other word it's an absolute steal. There are only 3 more days till the drop ends. So great timing if you want one.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gustard-h10

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #14,489 of 21,176
  The Gustard H10 is an excellent amp for the HE-560s. It's currently available on Massdrop for $300. At that price, its value and performance is simply unmatched. In other word it's an absolute steal. There are only 3 more days till the drop ends. So great timing if you want one.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gustard-h10

Too bad it's only a US deal 
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back